Wiki Posts
Search

American renting a car in MNL - Batangas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
American renting a car in MNL - Batangas

Hoping to find someone who can weigh in. Looking to surprise my girlfriend's family for the first time, and I'd like to rent a car, but I hear it may be too much of a hassle? My girlfriend's sister seems to think I won't be able to drive in their province, but I can't imagine why. She's only 21, so I don't fully trust her expertise here.

I'm an American, flying into MNL, looking to rent a car (Hertz) and drive to Batangas.

From what I've read, there's no real legal issue here, so long as I'm staying less than 3 months or so.

Would love hearing from anyone who can weigh in on this with first hand experience.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:46 pm

Traffic in/around Manila (including Batangas) is horribly wretched beyond anything you can imagine (unless you spend time in Jakarta). It can take several hours to drive across town, and all day just to get to many of the 'nearby' towns. Most visitors (including Filipinos returning from overseas) hire a driver with a car.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Yea, but I am not looking to stay with her family in their house, looking to get a nice AirBNB (with AC) nearby. Once I get out near the Batangas (Taal/Lemery really) I assume I can just drive from their house to the AirBNB I get.

I haven't been to Jakarta, but I spent 2 weeks in India, does that count?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Have you driven outside the US? In SE Asia?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:02 pm

Your surprise is a wonderful idea and very thoughtful but please be careful with driving in place where you a relatively unfamiliar with. What might be acceptable/unacceptable in your native country may well be the opposite in MNL.

I don't think the actual renting would be difficult but it's everything else that's involved.

I haven't had this specific experience of the Philippines but from friends who have lived there, traffic in MNL can be appalling. Why stress yourself out with that? I would just hire a driver (or use grab) and sleep in the back on the way.

Also be warying of kidnappings - these are surprisingly common but unreported. It's just people trying to make money. It's unlikely they would want to actually harm you.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Have you driven outside the US? In SE Asia?
Only Australia, and Brazil.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

As to renting a driver, my schedule will be a bit sporadic, I'm not really sure I want to pay someone to drive me around once a day, and I don't think Grab/Uber/whatever is very popular out where I'll be staying, at least I'm told as much (Lemery/Taal). If I had more confidence in something like that, I'd be all for it.

Can anyone recommend a reliable car driving service out there?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by ChadDa3mon
Only Australia, and Brazil.
The defence rest their case. No further evidence needed.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
My partner and I live in New Zealand, but he is from Manila.

On a recent trip we hired from Hertz. He drove, not me!

Experiences:
  • the insurance process is murky, co-pay/excess is appropriately up to 1% of the car value (but this was never clear) and it was not clear on the paperwork if we even bought insurance (it was mentioned in the quote though but no extra premium charged, so we think we did).
  • Deposit for rental was required.
  • It was pretty expensive - US$85 per day. It is not much more expensive to hire a car with driver.
  • Hertz website said International driving permit required, although they were fine with NZ licence.
  • Car was new - picking up was a lengthy process, and handover of car happens in a very busy area and is rushed - e.g., no real opportunity to check if there is existing damage to the car
  • We had an accident - well someone reversed into us in hotel car park. Required a trip to police station to get a police report (took about 3 hours). We also ensured we got in cash from the person who hit us the co-pay amount - so we ended up not out of pocket.
  • We also had a lot of stone chips which I was worried about (but nothing said by Hertz).
  • On return of car no one had any idea about the insurance issue - they seemed to have no evidence of whether we had insurance or not (everything is paper-based, no computer system). We have to leave the issue unresolved and addressed it by email. A few weeks later the deposit, less co-pay was deposited back to credit card.
  • I was totally freaked out by the whole process, partner not worried at all - its not an untypical business practice in PHL. Don't expect US-efficiency. Overall, he would be happy to rent from Hertz again (not sure I would, but there are probably no better options).
As for driving, Manila is always a challenge as road rules are merely for guidance, not to be followed. Three lane roads often become 4 or 5 lanes, counterflow often in place (you drive on the wrong side of the road), red lights/pedestrian crossings ignored etc etc. You are also often competing with space with buses and jeepneys; bikes and tricycles also. That said there does seem method to the madness and a certain degree of give and take/courtesy happens. You do need nerves of steel through, as any weakness will see you in trouble. Heavy traffic is the norm - and peak hours are long - gridlocked areas is common. Without experience I would not recommend driving in MNL - I know a few who have returned after living abroad and wont venture back on roads. As for my partner, he loved being back in it.

Last edited by jeffrocowboy; Mar 13, 2019 at 4:31 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
I would go for it but be prepared for it to be a totally different driving experience than you have every had before. But everyone has to have their first experience of. Just take it slowly and you will soon get used to to it. As jeffrocowboy stated above the rental process will not be anywhere neat as organised as you are used to but hey welcome to the Philippines,

If you are going straight from the Airport to Batangas then you will basically miss Manila and the journey starts off as highway so really not difficult. Once you get down to the Batangas area you will probably not have bad traffic (except in the centre of Batangas) but you will have slow moving trikes all over the place, mopeds diving about left, right and centre etc etc, But you will soon get used to it, just keep alert, keep patient, and remember although there are many many road regulations in the Philippines, they basically ignored so expect anyone to do anything at any time.
jeffrocowboy and trooper like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I drive and ride in the Philippines. Yes be very careful. They overtake on each side of you and at the same time and cut in front of you even from both sides. They seem to think there is no lane or that they can drive in-between the lanes.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Lobster
I would go for it but be prepared for it to be a totally different driving experience than you have every had before. But everyone has to have their first experience of. Just take it slowly and you will soon get used to to it. As jeffrocowboy stated above the rental process will not be anywhere neat as organised as you are used to but hey welcome to the Philippines,

If you are going straight from the Airport to Batangas then you will basically miss Manila and the journey starts off as highway so really not difficult. Once you get down to the Batangas area you will probably not have bad traffic (except in the centre of Batangas) but you will have slow moving trikes all over the place, mopeds diving about left, right and centre etc etc, But you will soon get used to it, just keep alert, keep patient, and remember although there are many many road regulations in the Philippines, they basically ignored so expect anyone to do anything at any time.
Thanks for that.... going to the Australasian IPSC Pistol match in Lipas later this year...we really need a car for the daily trips to and from the range... It APPEARED from the map that flying in to MNL , picking up a car and heading SOUTH was going to be a little easier.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I drive in the provinces when visiting my wife's family and my son, but will not drive in Manila. Have you thought of checking the province for a rental car company and flying from MNL to the province? You may find it would be cheaper to get a car there then paying for one in Manila. I am lucky whereas I use my brother in law's vehicle when there, but this upcoming trip at the end of March, I am looking at renting a vehicle for a week instead as I am no longer limber enough to get in and out of the Jeepney he owns or use the tricycles.

One thing you need to look out for is that locals will soon recognize you as a foreigner and actually cause accidents so they can get money out of you.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by trooper
Thanks for that.... going to the Australasian IPSC Pistol match in Lipas later this year...we really need a car for the daily trips to and from the range... It APPEARED from the map that flying in to MNL , picking up a car and heading SOUTH was going to be a little easier.
possibly easier - but there are many congested spots heading south as well where your nerve will be tested and more speed on slightly open roads means the other road users are cutting in at speed
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:09 pm

Yes..Im sure it will be a challenge! But I was a professional driver for 25 years....and have driven in some places that may have provided appropriate initial experience LOL Looks like one needs to stay alert!
jeffrocowboy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.