Search

TPE to Taichung City - Train Options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
TPE to Taichung City - Train Options

Hoping to get some advice from the Taiwan pros:

My flight lands around 1630 next Sunday. We're hoping to hightail it to Taichung in order to visit the night markets (heading to Puli and SML the next morning).

The two logical options that come to mind are:

- take the shuttle to Taoyuan HSR and then take the HSR to Taichung HSR and the shuttle into the city

- take the Airport MRT to Taipei Station and then HSR it to Taichung HSR (or possibly just the express train to Taichung Station)

Any other suggestions? Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
I don't have anything better to offer but I would definitely do the first option. Your second option has you going in to Taipei to catch the HSR and then doubling back to the Taoyuan HSR station which you could have gone to directly to on the airport shuttle.
TTC192Rocket likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for reminding me of the doubling back! I've only taken the HSR once before and wasn't sure how to get from the airport to the Taoyuan HSR. I'll do some more reading now.

Last edited by TTC192Rocket; Mar 2, 2019 at 8:10 pm
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Another option is the airport MRT backwards (ie, take the train away from Taipei) to the Taoyuan HSR station stop A18 - it could be faster and less of a hassle vs wasting time in line for the shuttle bus.
TTC192Rocket likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:34 am
Original Poster

You're right; this may be faster than waiting for the Ubus 705 and the ensuing ride.

Regardless, hoping it will leave us enough time to visit the night market. Being Sunday night and all, would there still be a crowd or opened stalls at say, 9:30 pm?

Edit; found an infographic on the TPE airport site. Hope others find it useful: https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/engl...transportation

Should I hold off on buying HSR tickets in case the flight is delayed? My friend and I are fine sitting apart nor do we need assigned seats.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Another option is the airport MRT backwards (ie, take the train away from Taipei) to the Taoyuan HSR station stop A18 - it could be faster and less of a hassle vs wasting time in line for the shuttle bus.

Last edited by TTC192Rocket; Mar 3, 2019 at 9:39 am
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
You're right; this may be faster than waiting for the Ubus 705 and the ensuing ride.

Regardless, hoping it will leave us enough time to visit the night market. Being Sunday night and all, would there still be a crowd or opened stalls at say, 9:30 pm?

Edit; found an infographic on the TPE airport site. Hope others find it useful: https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/engl...transportation

Should I hold off on buying HSR tickets in case the flight is delayed? My friend and I are fine sitting apart nor do we need assigned seats.
You can take Taoyuan METRO ( MRT) trains to the bullet train Taoyan station, its about 15 min ride, from Taoyuan to Taichung about 30 minutes (600 series trains), 40 min on the slower 800series trains which makes more stops. No need to buy ticket in advance, worst case you will have to stand in non reserved carriages (this would often be Fridays in this direction, and word of advice if you do not mind standing force yourself on the train, ie push like a crowded subway train to avoid long wait for next train 30+min later)
TTC192Rocket likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Taiwan night markets are still hoppin' at 9:30. Especially the major ones (like Feng Jia in Taichung). No problem.
TTC192Rocket likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.