Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Transfer from T2 to T1 in TPE with checked baggage & kids with < 2hr.. .am I doomed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer from T2 to T1 in TPE with checked baggage & kids with < 2hr.. .am I doomed?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:55 am
Original Poster

My family and I will be travelling from YYZ to YVR to TPE on an Air Canada (AC) flight (scheduled arrival in TPE at 16:30h) then we will transfer to a Tigerair Taiwan (IT) flight onward to Okinawa, Japan with a scheduled departure time of 18:20h (1hr 50min. transfer time). We will have checked luggage and kids (7 and 9 years old) in tow. We hold two separate tickets (open jaw AC tickets for YYZ->YVR->TPE, and one-way IT ticket just for the TPE-OKA leg). I understand AC arrives in Terminal 2 and IT flights depart from Terminal 1. I need to understand the whole transfer process so that we know exactly where to go to ensure we make our connection within the tight timeline we face. So hopefully someone can help answer my questions:

1. With the different airlines, is it even possible to have the checked baggage transferred automatically to the IT flight to the ultimate destination (OKA)? It is advisable or are we risking to have our checked baggage lost or delayed? I'd only consider it if it saves us significant time during the transfer process at TPE. If it doesn't, then I won't risk it and I'll pick up the baggage during the transfer.

2. I understand from the Transfer Process posted on TPE's website that there will be a Transfer Counter that we will need to get to. According to the chart, TigerAir Taiwan is Transfer Counter B. Is that located in Terminal 1? When we arrive in Terminal 2, do we follow the Transfer signage or do we need to go through customs/immigration because we have checked baggage?

3. Assuming the worst-case scenario (need to go through customs/immigration, pick up checked baggage, exit the terminal, take SkyTrain to Terminal 1, go to TigerAir Taiwan check-in counter, drop off baggage, go through customs/immigration & security again). Is that do-able with the < 2 hr connection time we have (assuming no delays)?

4. Any tips to help us get through this transfer quicker?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Minimum connection time with a *through ticket* is 1:30 hr between terminal 1 and 2.

You are on 2 separate tickets. One is LCC. No luggage check-through.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:20 pm

The average delay for the AC flight shows as 20-40 minutes. Tiger cut off for check-in seems to be 45 minutes. Likely you won't make it. You could buy an additional ticket for the next day as a back-up just in case.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88
Minimum connection time with a *through ticket* is 1:30 hr between terminal 1 and 2.

You are on 2 separate tickets. One is LCC. No luggage check-through.
Originally Posted by erik123
The average delay for the AC flight shows as 20-40 minutes. Tiger cut off for check-in seems to be 45 minutes. Likely you won't make it. You could buy an additional ticket for the next day as a back-up just in case.
Thanks for the responses. To give ourselves the best chance of making the connection, should we eliminate the checked baggage and have all carry-on bags? Would this allow us to remain airside and not have to go through customs/immigration twice?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:02 pm

Hand luggage saves time but it seems you still have to check in to get your boarding pass for Tiger Air. Better have a back-up plan.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by erik123
Hand luggage saves time but it seems you still have to check in to get your boarding pass for Tiger Air. Better have a back-up plan.
It may save time, but the passport checkpoint is normally the delay since you need check in at counter to get boarding passes.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is all about risk tolerance? What is the alternative. E.g., Is there a later flight?

The likelihood is that you will be a no show for your onwards flight. What happens then and what does that cost?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Taipei
It may save time, but the passport checkpoint is normally the delay since you need check in at counter to get boarding passes.
If they only have hand luggage and no checked bags wouldn't they save a lot of time? They arrive TPE and go to the transit desk (Transfer Counter B for Tiger Air Taiwan), pick up their boarding passes go through security and down the escalator to the departure level. No need to go through immigration.

I would choose security airside in transit over departures security in a heartbeat. TPE is one of the easiest and fastest airports in Asia to do international transit. The one drawback is they have a good distance to travel between Terminals 1 and 2 but they have to travel that distance that no matter landside or airside.

OP, to answer your questions:
1- you need to ask AC if they will check your bags through to IT. Check carefully, because as someone already posted probably not. You do not want to check and claim your bags in TPE, even if your flight is on time your odds are not good. There can be a back-up at immigration to enter Taiwan, a delay in getting your bags, then you need to change terminals, check in again, go through security which is frequently backed up, and departure immigration which alone can take more than 30 minutes. You would need a miracle to make it. Compare that to going to the transit counter to get your boarding passes and then transit security which is never more than 5 minutes.
2.From the ifly.com website: Transfer from T2, Zones C or D to T1, Zones A or B: After disembarking at Zones C or D, follow signs to the Skytrain boarding area, then ride the Skytrain to T1; thereafter proceed to the transfer counter at either Zone A or B of T1 to check-in for onward flight; go through security control and therefater to your boarding gate on level 3F.
3. This is not a good option.
4. TPE is set up for international transfers and unlike ICN or NRT does not have a gazillion people doing it. You just need a back-up plan if your AC flight is late. You probably understand that with two totally separate reservations Tiger Air is not going to do anything for you if the AC flight is delayed and you cannot make your connection.

Last edited by uanj; Feb 8, 2019 at 8:32 am
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uanj
OP, to answer your questions:
1- you need to ask AC if they will check your bags through to IT. Check carefully, because as someone already posted probably not. You do not want to check and claim your bags in TPE, even if your flight is on time your odds are not good. There can be a back-up at immigration to enter Taiwan, a delay in getting your bags, then you need to change terminals, check in again, go through security which is frequently backed up, and departure immigration which alone can take more than 30 minutes. You would need a miracle to make it. Compare that to going to the transit counter to get your boarding passes and then transit security which is never more than 5 minutes.
I've already abandoned the idea of bringing checked luggage. It will be difficult for a family of 4 to bring 4 carry-ons but we'll have to make it work. No alternative given the circumstances.

2.From the ifly.com website: Transfer from T2, Zones C or D to T1, Zones A or B: After disembarking at Zones C or D, follow signs to the Skytrain boarding area, then ride the Skytrain to T1; thereafter proceed to the transfer counter at either Zone A or B of T1 to check-in for onward flight; go through security control and therefater to your boarding gate on level 3F.
This is what I'm confused about. On another forum, someone said there is no Skytrain on the airside between T1 and T2. But what you quoted from ifly.com website (and also from TPE's website) seems to suggest there is. I assume the Transfer Counter in either terminals are all on airside and that the transfer procedure doesn't require us to "enter" Taiwan... Hope someone can confirm this point.

4. TPE is set up for international transfers and unlike ICN or NRT does not have a gazillion people doing it. You just need a back-up plan if your AC flight is late. You probably understand that with two totally separate reservations Tiger Air is not going to do anything for you if the AC flight is delayed and you cannot make your connection.
Unfortunately the 18:20h Tigerair flight is the last one to Okinawa for the day so we'd have to stay overnight if we miss that flight. If I can check-in on the Tigerair flight online (prior to leaving Toronto), then I will have my boarding passes in hand when I arrive at TPE, correct? Then is there any need to rush to the Transfer counter in zone B 45 min. prior to departure? Would we just proceed to the gate with our carry-on luggage in tow and make sure we get there at least half an hour before departure?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by rvs007
I've already abandoned the idea of bringing checked luggage. It will be difficult for a family of 4 to bring 4 carry-ons but we'll have to make it work. No alternative given the circumstances.

This is what I'm confused about. On another forum, someone said there is no Skytrain on the airside between T1 and T2. But what you quoted from ifly.com website (and also from TPE's website) seems to suggest there is. I assume the Transfer Counter in either terminals are all on airside and that the transfer procedure doesn't require us to "enter" Taiwan... Hope someone can confirm this point.

Unfortunately the 18:20h Tigerair flight is the last one to Okinawa for the day so we'd have to stay overnight if we miss that flight. If I can check-in on the Tigerair flight online (prior to leaving Toronto), then I will have my boarding passes in hand when I arrive at TPE, correct? Then is there any need to rush to the Transfer counter in zone B 45 min. prior to departure? Would we just proceed to the gate with our carry-on luggage in tow and make sure we get there at least half an hour before departure?
CONFIRMED, the transit counters are all airside and you do not go through immigration before or after. You arrive at the correct transit counter. either pass directly to the security screen area with your boarding passes in hand or first go to the counter to get them and then hit security, then down the escalator you go to your gate. Because this is set up for transit if you are tight on time they will all help you through as quickly as they can. Even if you feel time is sufficient, don't dawdle. You can relax and shop when you arrive at your departure gate.
I noticed that Tigerair Taiwan at Transfer Counter B is also the handling agent for JetStar and JetStar Japan (I believe). Maybe your back-up plan could be get a ticket from them if they have later flights. It is worth checking, many of LCC flights are scheduled at odd hours. Wish you luck and hope you enjoy Okinawa!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uanj
CONFIRMED, the transit counters are all airside and you do not go through immigration before or after. You arrive at the correct transit counter. either pass directly to the security screen area with your boarding passes in hand or first go to the counter to get them and then hit security, then down the escalator you go to your gate. Because this is set up for transit if you are tight on time they will all help you through as quickly as they can. Even if you feel time is sufficient, don't dawdle. You can relax and shop when you arrive at your departure gate.
I noticed that Tigerair Taiwan at Transfer Counter B is also the handling agent for JetStar and JetStar Japan (I believe). Maybe your back-up plan could be get a ticket from them if they have later flights. It is worth checking, many of LCC flights are scheduled at odd hours. Wish you luck and hope you enjoy Okinawa!
Ok, thanks for the confirmation and the really helpful information. Just one more question: If I'm arriving in Terminal 2 (Air Canada flight) and need to get to Transit Counter B which is in Terminal 1, do I just hop on the airside SkyTrain to go to T1 then proceed to the transit counter B to pick up the boarding pass (assuming I don't already did an online check-in and already have my boarding passes in hand when I arrive in TPE)? I'll be holding two separate tickets (non-through tickets) so I hope that doesn't cause any issues with the transfer.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by rvs007
Ok, thanks for the confirmation and the really helpful information. Just one more question: If I'm arriving in Terminal 2 (Air Canada flight) and need to get to Transit Counter B which is in Terminal 1, do I just hop on the airside SkyTrain to go to T1 then proceed to the transit counter B to pick up the boarding pass (assuming I don't already did an online check-in and already have my boarding passes in hand when I arrive in TPE)? I'll be holding two separate tickets (non-through tickets) so I hope that doesn't cause any issues with the transfer.
Follow the signs for Transfer, the transfer counters are fairly centrally located you will most likely be walking in the same direction as everyone else. When you get to the first transfer counter tell them you are looking for Transfer Counter B and they will direct you. I did this once before and I honestly do not remember taking the Air train, but maybe I did. You want to do this as soon as you land because there is nothing on the international arrivals level of interest to you or your kids. Just a few duty free shops for inbound travelers, rest rooms and Quarantine. After hitting the transfer counter and security you will take an escalator down to the departure level where there are exhibits, restaurants, duty free, etc...
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

I just did a live chat with Tigerair customer service and they are telling me because I'm holding separate tickets, I need to go through immigration and check-in at the Terminal 1 outside check-in counter and get the boarding pass from there, then go through immigration & security again. I'm trying to understand why they can't issue the boarding pass at the Transfer counter as noted in the Transit procedure.

Edit: It looks like I'm SOL. After doing some research it does look like if I'm holding separate tickets I cannot do transfer airside. That's only possible if it's an interlining ticket. So as others have suggested, I'm looking into a contingency plan. But with the Tigerair flight being the last direct flight to Okinawa that night, the next available flight would be the next day and I'd have to remain in Taiwan overnight. Does the airport have any on-site accommodations for travellers staying overnight?

Last edited by rvs007; Feb 9, 2019 at 12:58 am
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:34 am

Because tiger air wants to weigh your carry on, etc. and charge you the extra fees. Typical with Asian LLCs. If the flight the next day is cheap book that as a contingency plan. If the AC flight is on time there's a decent chance you will make it. If you miss the flight it wont be difficult to make a last minute hotel booking. Maybe check peach as they have a morning flight? If you have a lot of time go into town. That's what I would do.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I see that you’ve already been told that airside transfers are not possible in the case of separate tickets. Your timing is way too tight. I would expect to have to spend a night at an airport hotel and fly out the next morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.