Wiki Posts
Search

13 nights trip to Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

13 nights trip to Vietnam

Hi guys,
we’re traveling to Vietnam for two weeks end of March 2019. Flying into Hanoi 31th March and flying out of HO chi Minh on 13th April. We’re thinking to do this;
1. Four nights in Hanoi.
2. One night/two day cruise on Halong Bay.
3.Fly to Danang, straight in a cab to Hoi An. Stay in Hoi An for four nights. Day trip to Danang and Hue (maybe stay a night in Hue)
4. Fly to Ho Chi Minh. Spend 3 nights there before departing back to the UK.
looking to use Airbnb for all accommodations, except the cruise which we are going to buy when we get there.
Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
You're wasting too much time in airports and in transit for such a short trip - I'd cut out one stop or add some time.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:50 am

I think your plan is fine. We ended up not using AirBnB because guesthouses had better locations and the prices were better (and usually included breakfast). Just make sure you check the reviews on Agoda and also Trip Advisor for each guesthouse.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I would personally substitute Saigon with Da Lat and split two nights at Hoi An and two nights at Hue while travelling from Da Nang to Hue via train which follows the coastline.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:22 am

3 nights Hanoi is enough - add one night to Halong Bay - Consider Flying from HPH to DAD if the timing works. 2 nights HCM is enough. Consider some extra time along the coast.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: most of them
4 nights Hoi An seems like a lot to me. I liked Hue and I think for sure you should plan at least a night there if you plan to visit the imperial tombs and the citadel.

I did a similar-ish trip several years ago that was 4 nights Hanoi with a couple of day trips including Halong Bay. Then flew to Hue. I think it was 2 nights there and then drive down to Hoi An via Danang. We stopped at the Cham Museum in Danang for a bit on the way. The I was in Hoi An for 2 nights. That's where my trip ended and I flew back to Thailand from Danang via SGN.

The flights are quick so I don't think this sort of itinerary too airport heavy. Other than HAN and SGN the airports are small.

I leave next week for a trip that includes SGN for a few nights and Dalat for a few nights as part of a larger trip in the region.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:12 pm

You can consider doing a 1 night stay in Ninh Binh with 4 nights in Hanoi (Ninh Binh private transfer to Halong Bay and Cat Bi airport in Hai Phong flight to Danang to save time instead of a flight from Hanoi).
3 nights in Hoian and 2 nights in Hue is better.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I definitely think you can cut a night (or two) from Hanoi.
I think the 2-day, 1-night Halong Bay cruise is enough, no real need for the extra night as someone suggested, IMHO.
4 nights in Hoi An might be more than you need too, unless (1) you plan time to relax on the beach, and/or (2) you need multiple visits to the tailor.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
There is no need to use Airbnb in Vietnam. Hotel rooms are dirt cheap and - as stated above - will include breakfast. Often you can't cancel or rebook Airbnb reservations unless done several days in advance and in any event you will loose the Airbnb reservation fee.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
There is no need to use Airbnb in Vietnam. Hotel rooms are dirt cheap and - as stated above - will include breakfast. Often you can't cancel or rebook Airbnb reservations unless done several days in advance and in any event you will loose the Airbnb reservation fee.
This is good to know. I know AirBnB is the new hip thing to do these days, but I do agree and think that traditional hotels, especially when cheap in a place like SE Asia, have several advantages over individually owned short rental units (service available 24/7, breakfast, etc.)
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by ginmqi
This is good to know. I know AirBnB is the new hip thing to do these days..
Only where the hotel rates are high - it doesn't really make sense in a country like Vietnam where a solid 3 or 4 star hotel will be around 30-40 USD/nt (even in HCMC and Hanoi) and include breakfast for 2 (basic breakfast of course, but certainly adequate).
ginmqi likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:03 pm

I think 3 nights in Hanoi (including Ninh Binh) or you can spend 1 night in Sapa, and in Ho Chi Minh city, you can visit Mekong Delta which has floating market
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Originally Posted by invisible
I would personally substitute Saigon with Da Lat and split two nights at Hoi An and two nights at Hue while travelling from Da Nang to Hue via train which follows the coastline.
Good advice here - Dalat is nothing less than awesome! https://www.travelfish.org/location/...am_dong/da_lat

I too would use small hotels instead of Airbnb and you do want fewer stops!

Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:14 pm

You can add 1 night on Halong bay, so you'll have more time to discover Halong bay
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:51 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
All good advice!

We did not love Hanoi after 3 days: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/03/12/...ot-love-hanoi/
Check the weather before deciding on Ha Long bay...we were there in the foggy season.

We are currently living in Da Nang and it's a wonderful place to live but I wouldn't come here on vacation...seeing Hoi An and Hue is a better use of time.

Flights are cheap in vietnam: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/03/14/...oi-to-da-nang/

As is lodging...a nice hotel in Hoi An will cost you no more than $35US/night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.