Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

International to international transit in Myanmar?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA PE, Delta Pt, United 1P

Looking for some help on understanding the international transit situation for RGN.
My in-laws (malaysia passport) have on a RGN-KUL-NRT-ORD ticket from the prem fares deals forum. They live in KL, so they'll have to take airasia from KL to connect up to the RGN outbound flight.Question - does RGN allow international transit? From previous threads, it seems it allows transit if travelling onwards to a third country, but I'm not sure how that's defined. Is the third country considered the next destination (KL) or the ultimate destination (ORD)?Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:14 pm

I'm not sure if AirAsia would allow the pax to board without Myanmar e-visa (as Malaysian need one unlike the rest of ASEAN nationals).
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
I am flying back from RGN today.
I suspect blueferrari correct that AirAsia will want to see a visa upon check-in.
When I arrived at RGN's international terminal, I did see signs for transit.
I thought that was a bit odd, as RGN not a place one would normally transit.
But the door was shut and unmanned.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I just addressed this question in another thread.
in short you don't have to cross the border but the inbound airline will likely not let you fly without any Visa.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to pull up an old thread, but has anyone done this recently?

planning a KUL-RGN-BKK/DMK transit

KUL-RGN (on MH)
RGN-BKK on any other airline

does one need a visa UK passport?
Old Jul 18, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC
On the very unlikely chance you could buy a through ticket I doubt whether there is a transit path at RGN, I don't recall any signage for transit or connections when ​​​I was there a few years ago, but others confirm upthread that something exists.

But assuming that a through ticket is going to be unlikely, then you have to assume that MH at KUL will look at where their ticket ends and verify that you have the necessary permission at RGN to enter Myanmar. Whether you have a separate ticket to go somewhere else like BKK later is none of their concern if it's a separate ticket.

If you are a standard UK passport holder then you will need a visa to enter Myanmar.

Also be aware that the UK Gov FCDO has got advice against all travel to parts of Myanmar (albeit Rangoon is ok) so whether any insurance you might have would be valid to/from Myanmar would need to be verified.

Ok, so I'll ask. Why would you want to fly KUL - RGN - BKK/DMK? I realise this is a frequent flyer forum and frequent flyers are not known for taking the most direct route between two places, but much as I enjoyed a trip to Myanmar last decade, RGN is probably on the list of more awkward places to connect between flights. Especially with the current political situation in Myanmar.
seavisionburma likes this.

Last edited by plunet; Jul 18, 2023 at 11:18 am
Old Jul 18, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
From Timatic (EF):
Myanmar - Transit Visa
Visa required.
TWOV (Transit Without Visa)
Passengers with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third
country on the same calendar day. They must stay in the international
transit area of the airport and have documents required for the next
destination.
Still, from the OP's phrasing it doesn't sound like that's a through ticket from KUL to BKK/DMK, so expect MH to enforce the entry requirements for Myanmar.
plunet and seavisionburma like this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plunet
On the very unlikely chance you could buy a through ticket I doubt whether there is a transit path at RGN, I don't recall any signage for transit or connections when ​​​I was there a few years ago, but others confirm upthread that something exists.

But assuming that a through ticket is going to be unlikely, then you have to assume that MH at KUL will look at where their ticket ends and verify that you have the necessary permission at RGN to enter Myanmar. Whether you have a separate ticket to go somewhere else like BKK later is none of their concern if it's a separate ticket.

If you are a standard UK passport holder then you will need a visa to enter Myanmar.

Also be aware that the UK Gov FCDO has got advice against all travel to parts of Myanmar (albeit Rangoon is ok) so whether any insurance you might have would be valid to/from Myanmar would need to be verified.

Ok, so I'll ask. Why would you want to fly KUL - RGN - BKK/DMK? I realise this is a frequent flyer forum and frequent flyers are not known for taking the most direct route between two places, but much as I enjoyed a trip to Myanmar last decade, RGN is probably on the list of more awkward places to connect between flights. Especially with the current political situation in Myanmar.
My friend has a UK passport and he will be MR'ing with me.

We are starting/ending in Bangkok. So we need to shuttle BKK-RGN-BKK at the start/end of the MR.

Will look into visa issues. I have a passport that allows free entry so no problem there. Just need to help my friend out.

Wanted to know if anyone has transited RGN lately.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SilverChris
From Timatic (EF):

Still, from the OP's phrasing it doesn't sound like that's a through ticket from KUL to BKK/DMK, so expect MH to enforce the entry requirements for Myanmar.
It will be separate tickets.

MH KUL-RGN
and another ticket
XX RGN-BKK/DMK

Thank you for the timatic information.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 5:56 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
There is no transit option at this time for RGN/VYYY so the tickets will be treated as two separate flights (KUL-RGN, then enter Myanmar, then check in again for RGN-BKK)
Thus, you will need a visa to enter Myanmar. (in theory a 'Transit Visa' does exist, through a Myanmar Embassy, but not in practise)

Malaysia Airlines will ask for your visa before allowing boarding and there are other requirements to board a flight to Myanmar (whether in to Yangon or Mandalay) still in effect.

All non-ASEAN passport holders MUST hold a visa before travel to Myanmar - no exceptions. A tourist e-visa is available online for UK passport holders through the official Myanmar gov e-visa site - evisa.moip.gov.mm

For the tourist evisa you will also need to have the following prepared BEFORE you apply online:

You will need the following before you apply:
  1. Your passport validity must have at least (6) months.
  2. You have to upload one COLOR PHOTO (4.6 cm X 3.8 cm) taking during last (3) months.
  3. You have to upload your Passport Bio-Data Page.
  4. A proof of return ticket from Myanmar must be attached to the application.
  5. A proof of hotel booking must be attached to the application. Tourists must stay in registered hotels, motels, inns, guest house and resort during your stay in Myanmar.
I am a resident expat in Myanmar and have extensive experience in advising on travel & entry to the country. Happy to answer further queries, but in a nutshell you have the answer to your initial question
plunet likes this.

Last edited by seavisionburma; Jul 19, 2023 at 6:24 am
Old Jul 19, 2023, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
As a FYI, I had a tourist visa for Burma/Myanmar a few years ago (part of the reason for visiting is that my maternal grandparents lived there in the distant past) and also had a BKK-RGN ticket and was planning to buy the RGN-BKK ticket when we knew when we'd exit. At BKK, either TG or Thai Smile staff (we flew back with the other) would not let us board w/o an outbound ticket.
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Just to add to my previous post - you will also need a valid, internationally recognized Travel Insurance policy covering Covid-19 medical treatment in Myanmar. It can be from any provider (previously it had to be only from the government incumbent "Myanma Insurance" department)
It will be required to show for check in, and on arrival.

The need to show proof of Covid vaccinations has been recently dropped (July 1st) by Ministry of Health in Myanmar.

The latest Myanmar entry requirements for all classes of Visa holders is attached below

plunet likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seavisionburma
There is no transit option at this time for RGN/VYYY so the tickets will be treated as two separate flights (KUL-RGN, then enter Myanmar, then check in again for RGN-BKK)
Thus, you will need a visa to enter Myanmar. (in theory a 'Transit Visa' does exist, through a Myanmar Embassy, but not in practise)

Malaysia Airlines will ask for your visa before allowing boarding and there are other requirements to board a flight to Myanmar (whether in to Yangon or Mandalay) still in effect.

All non-ASEAN passport holders MUST hold a visa before travel to Myanmar - no exceptions. A tourist e-visa is available online for UK passport holders through the official Myanmar gov e-visa site - evisa.moip.gov.mm

For the tourist evisa you will also need to have the following prepared BEFORE you apply online:

You will need the following before you apply:
  1. Your passport validity must have at least (6) months.
  2. You have to upload one COLOR PHOTO (4.6 cm X 3.8 cm) taking during last (3) months.
  3. You have to upload your Passport Bio-Data Page.
  4. A proof of return ticket from Myanmar must be attached to the application.
  5. A proof of hotel booking must be attached to the application. Tourists must stay in registered hotels, motels, inns, guest house and resort during your stay in Myanmar.
I am a resident expat in Myanmar and have extensive experience in advising on travel & entry to the country. Happy to answer further queries, but in a nutshell you have the answer to your initial question
Thank you for the information. Looks like my friend would need to apply twice as we are planning to transit there twice. Once overnight and one with a quick 2-3 hour layover.

BKK-RGN(Ticket 1) overnight RGN-KUL(ticket 2)
KUL-RGN(ticket 2 return) transit RGN-BKK (ticket 3)
Old Jul 20, 2023, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seavisionburma
Just to add to my previous post - you will also need a valid, internationally recognized Travel Insurance policy covering Covid-19 medical treatment in Myanmar. It can be from any provider (previously it had to be only from the government incumbent "Myanma Insurance" department)
It will be required to show for check in, and on arrival.

The need to show proof of Covid vaccinations has been recently dropped (July 1st) by Ministry of Health in Myanmar.

The latest Myanmar entry requirements for all classes of Visa holders is attached below

Does an ASEAN passport holder need insurance also?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by fumitani
Does an ASEAN passport holder need insurance also?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.