Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Where to go for luxury beach vacation in Southeast Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to go for luxury beach vacation in Southeast Asia?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I know there’s several ones, which one would you recommend?

I also just realized there’s a new Ritz Carlton property on Langkawi (albeit the beach looks just as bad as at the St. Regis). Could be interesting to do a comparison St. Regis vs. RC vs. Datai (possibly vs. Andaman)...
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I know there’s several ones, which one would you recommend?
A friend recommended Six Senses Con Dao (Vietnam)... he said the beach was beautiful and service impeccable. Hopefully one day...
edsh and ChocolateFactory like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Yeah, i think what you are looking for is either Can Dao or Maldives. Maybe Sri Lanka could work. Vietnam has good beaches, unfortunately not many where there is also a true luxe property. Looking at Con Dao for Dec/Jan but still in early exploration stages.

I’ve been to the Andaman/ Datai and the beach was nice but otherwise we were totally unimpressed and would never make the trip there again.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes, we want to go to the Maldives as well, but not for this trip. (Also, the beach and water really doesn't have to be Maldives quality, we're just looking for a nice resort.)
Sri Lanka is far from Singapore as well, and from what I've heard there are no nice beaches.
As for Con Dao, the only true luxury hotel is probably the Six Senses? And the rooms don't look that great...

Why were you unimpressed with the Andaman / Datai? I've read so many good things, especially about the Datai.
Our stay at the St. Regis Langkawi was one of the most beautiful stays ever, despite the artificial beach and not-so-great water.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I know Maldives is not in SEA and I have been also trying to find a beach and a lagoon like in Maldives in SEA. So far I have not been to do so. It is also the privacy that is attractive in the Maldives. Your beach is your beach and you do not have to share with anyone. The lagoon is so clear and the sand is so white and fine you can walk in the lagoons for a bit in most resorts. Yes the reef protects it too. I have found two in Philippines but there are no resorts there. One is in Ilocos Norte and called Pagudpud and the other one is in Mindanao and is called Mati and there are only day outing beaches.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:03 am
Suspended

Luxury Beach Vacation Places in Southeast Asia?

• Rosewood Phuket, Thailand.
  • Amankila, Bali, Indonesia.
  • Hotel Tugu Lombok, Indonesia.
  • Anantara Hoi An Resort, Vietnam.
  • Four Seasons Resort Bali at Jimbaran Bay, Indonesia.
  • The Sanchaya, Bintan Island, Indonesia.
  • The St. Regis Bali Resort, Indonesia.
  • Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan, Indonesia.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:10 am
Original Poster

From what I've heard, the sea at the Sanchaya is not swimmable (dirty water).
The St. Regis Bali has an OK beach, but the sea isn't really swimmable either: When we were there, it was low tide basically the whole day and the water went far out... It was just mud instead of water.
The other hotels I can't comment on.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:14 am

I will second the fact that I was not overly joyed with the Andaman. I was anticipating something spectacular......the beach was for sure and a few other things in the area but the hard / soft product of the hotel did not WOW whatsoever.
Facility is old - we were unlucky that the hotel was full and received a room that we thought was older? Floor creaked; rusted window frames, no balcony..........I don't know it just did not feel warm and cozy for some reason.When we went during the month of February it seemed to be pack with kids - love kids but was not relaxing and they were everywhere! The beach itself is beautiful and the surrounding rain forest too is awesome.
Much more to mention -which I did on the master thread way back. Glad we visited but we would not return. Believe it or not we had a more relaxing time at the Westin Langkawi for some reason and were treated especially well as a PLAT.....even though this place also isnt something to write home about.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

We did book the Andaman, but checked out after one night. Not a luxury property at all. 4 star package holiday atmosphere. There were other dissatisfied guests who also checked out early. Not good.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by indiator
  • Anantara Hoi An Resort, Vietnam.
I would disagree with this suggestion. It's not on or near* to the beach. It's not in an exclusive or luxurious area. I didn't find the hotel itself to be very luxurious. Upscale? Yes. Luxurious, imo it's not.

*Okay, it is somewhat near to beaches, but for a guest looking for a "luxury beach vacation" this is not what they are looking for.
Old May 18, 2019, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I used to do the beach-chase bit in SE Asia, but Samoa and especially the Seychelles really ruined me on that. I can't speak to the comparative points on the luxe hotels but would point out in Thailand that they can't save the national parks from ruination, much less the non-protected areas. I'm trying to think of one that's stayed unspoiled since my first trip in 1992 and can't.

In the Seychelles and Fiji, IIRC, the highest-end places can get their own islands. Also possible in the Bahamas, I s'pose. And the Maldives, which might not exist except for a seawall around Male in 40 years, so maybe it carries the most urgency.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:05 am

Sri Lanka is best places to see ever at your holiday times, here there are more tourist places, historical places, resorts & water sport are there with budget cost
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Last time I checked, Sri Lanka was not a beach destination at all.
I’m done with South-East Asia for beach holidays. It’s not the right destination.
I’ll only do city trips there from now on.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Last time I checked, Sri Lanka was not a beach destination at all.
I’m done with South-East Asia for beach holidays. It’s not the right destination.
I’ll only do city trips there from now on.
Would you mind to share your conclusions/observations?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:41 am
Original Poster

I’m still intrigued by there Philippines if that counts as SEA. Even though it seems like there are very few luxury hotels.
Other than that, it seems like SEA simply doesn’t have great beaches.

I went to Corsica last week and the water was crystal clear. The food is amazing, people are friendly and it’s safe.
The front desk agent who checked us in told us he’d been to the Seychelles and he didn’t understand all the fuzz as the water looked just like in the Corsican village he’s from.
I didn’t know a place like this exists in Europe - it was better than the (admittedly, small) parts of the Caribbean I’ve seen. As I’m mostly based in Europe, I can go to Corsica (or maybe Sardinia or Montenegro) and save money on flights. Admittedly, there aren’t many luxury hotels in Corsica, but you don’t have to worry about safety, food poisoning, denghue etc. - 4 star hotels or AirBnB’s are perfectly fine.

In retrospect, Southeast Asia seems like a massive waste of time in that regard - at least when traveling from another continent. In European winter, I’ll probably go to the Maldives or the Caribbean or something like that for a beach vacation, but definitely not Southeast Asia.
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Asia, but the beaches have been disappointing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.