Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Laos - experiences and where for 4-5 days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Managed to be in Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia multiple of times over last several years but have not yet been in Laos or Burma. No plans to go to Burma any time soon, but Laos is is definitely in plans.

If you have been there recently (last 1.5 years), would you share your experience, what you did and especially - did not like? I am not interested in first/business class travel in/out of the country as well as staying luxury/5* hotels. I'd rather be more interested to know what/where you can/should go to see/experience culture, food, walking/boat/biking tours, nature/sunrise/sunset...

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:04 am

Sorry, I can't offer any help, but I need to get back there soon because I feel that when that train opens up, many places are going to really change. I feel like if the places on your list are near to the new train line, you should visit those places sooner rather than later. That is my personal opinion though.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Sorry, I can't offer any help, but I need to get back there soon because I feel that when that train opens up, many places are going to really change. I feel like if the places on your list are near to the new train line, you should visit those places sooner rather than later. That is my personal opinion though.
I'm sorry, what are you talking about?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
I'm sorry, what are you talking about?
The 6 billion dollar, 409-km Laos-China railway. Supposed to be open by 2022. Just go here and start browsing photos : https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1494039&page=11
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So China went from being famous for their finger traps to being infamous for their debt traps.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Skyman65
So China went from being famous for their finger traps to being infamous for their debt traps.
I have no idea how Laos can repay that debt. Luckily Thailand has resisted.

I've never been to Luang Prabang, but I do want to get there before this train opens. I imagine it will be very busy with tourists once the train is open.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no idea how Laos can repay that debt.
Obviously, China knows that they can't.

Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never been to Luang Prabang, but I do want to get there before this train opens. I imagine it will be very busy with tourists once the train is open.
Not just tourists. CHINESE tourists.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: most of them
I like Luang Prabang. That's a decent place to spend a few days. Some people find it over-touristed or boring. But I enjoy it. Cool sights like Kuang Sii waterfall are worthwhile. It's a nice place to just be.

I took the Vat Phou riverboat cruise in southern Laos a couple of years ago. The boat was quite nice. Cabins were nicer than I expected. Great crew. Fabulous food. Amazing sunrises and sunsets. I was on the upriver cruise from near the Cambodia border to Pakse. The only bad part was that we took a bus the first day from Pakse down to the waterfall on the border then we got on some small longboats for a ride around the 4000 islands and to lunch on one of the islands. Then the same long boats for a couple of hours until we got to the big boat. Those couple of hours were hot and a bit punishing. Then on the second days we got off the big boat for another longboat ride back to Pakse.

Bolaven plateau is very worthwhile. After getting off the boat I had a couple of days driving around the plateau seeing lots of beautiful waterfalls. The hotel was a guest house on a coffee plantation. Gorgeous grounds. Very peaceful. Nice and cool in the evening and overnight.

My trip report is linked below.

I spent some time in Vientiane several years ago. I wasn't especially impressed at the time. But that was a decade ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.