Wiki Posts
Search

Hanoi - which hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by dordal
Just wanted to put a recommendation in for the Hanoi Hanvet hotel ( Hanoi Hanvet Hotel | Hotel in Hanoi ), where I just finished a stay. Independent, and I probably wouldn't have stayed there had it not been for a recommendation from a friend, but it was a great value. Brand new ( built 2018 ), clean rooms, and a can't-be-beat location in the heart of the old quarter. You can negotiate breakfast as part of the rate; they bring beef or chicken pho noodles from a restaurant next door right to your room in the morning. Paid $35/night. Yes there's no points, no club lounge, and so on, but I'll happily save the other $85/night that the Hilton wanted and give that up.

If you go, book direct with Martin and Kelly ( [email protected] ); tell them David from Flyertalk sent you and they'll give you one of the best rooms.
I note they have an extraordinary number of high scores on Tripadvisor. Most of those are first posts from contributors with no history at all. And many of those single out Martin by name. I'm sure it's a delightful hotel, and Martin is indeed a delightful person. But the high praise looks suspiciously manufactured, so it's nice to get an independent review here.

It's a pity hotels have to do that, but the market in Hanoi is fiercely competitive, so i guess it's fair game!
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:02 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Impressive Hotel by St Joseph's. Caution: bells ring at the church 0500 (?), but it hasn't really an issue for me or people I've stayed there with on multiple visits. Modest, inexpensive (read linked review). Pasteur Street Brewing company acorss the street for the foreigner bar experience. Noodle & Roll nearby has good Northern food.
Upscale from the Impressive is the nearby Golden Lotus.
--
Rich
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Stayed at a variety of hotels in Old Quarter, because I'm eager to experience different aspects of Hanoi

To date my favourite is Ancient Lane Hotel. Small rooms, great staff. Can't recall the room rate, but was pretty reasonable.
Double room for 2 with Buffet breakfast runs less than $40 now per Booking.com

Breakfast is definitely adequate, but not extensive.

While I'm not generally a high maintenance guest, I did have a problem while staying here, and the staff sorted it all for me.

Location is interesting as it really is down an Ancient Lane... No cars can reach within 100 meters so some walking involved.

Last edited by Cris L; Oct 19, 2019 at 7:36 pm
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I usually just take regular taxis in vietnam. No problems so far.
Never respond to anybody offering a taxi. Just walk to the official taxi stand and take one from there.
Make sure they switch the meter on and ignore any suggestions for a special price (happens rarely). The only word you need to repeat: meter, meter.
No need to prearrange anything. Official taxis are cheap and safe.
Quite risky in Hanoi in my opinion (not to mention much more expensive than Hanoi Transfer Service)! Cabs here scam foreign tourists on a regular basis. Most residents avoid cabs in favor of Grab.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Originally Posted by tobikosan
Getting in HAN late night of Jan 9th, thinking of heading to a old town and fly out again night of 13th. Will be tired that first night and want cheap $50ish hotel, then try some more upscale ones next couple nights. I am a tall man and need a king bed. Never been in VN before been to BKK and Thailand lots. Advice? book directly with hotels? Book all nights? Book what booking service if not. How can I arrange transport after landing so I don;t get fleeced hassled?

Any other help I would appreciate it. Travelling light, not a drinker partier, not really a fancy person but I love old style and coolness in many forms . THX
Just for your info - a $50. Hanoi Hotel is not "cheap" by any means! One of the advantages of travel in SE Asia is the availability of wonderful, small, inexpensive hotels and guesthouses.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by tobikosan
How can I arrange transport after landing so I don;t get fleeced hassled?
Use Grab app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.