Wiki Posts
Search

Indonesia - ABTC and Visa Free - out in 7 minutes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Just want to share an experience - last month together with wife was at Bali for short holidays. After landing and getting out from the bus (BTW, it was shortest bus ride ever - 50m) and getting into the building we cleared customs/immigration in less that five minutes due to the fact that we did not need visa and we have ABTC cards.

Totally, I checked, from the moment we stepped into the building and to the moment we were in the car with our driver on the way to the hotel - seven minutes passed.

Compare this 1.5h processing time last year at Yogyakarta when had to stand first to VoA line, then on passport control and finally to pick up our luggage. Lesson learned - have visa in the passport or go to visa free countries, have ABTC on hand and have no checked luggage. Things are MUCH better with this arrangement.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:05 am

Newbie question: what is ABTC?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Newbie question: what is ABTC?
APEC Business Travel Card

Available for those who have Global Entry as well. If you plan to go to Asia and especially - if you already have GE, take my advice - get it now, it will greatly simplify entrance/exit experience.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:16 am

Thanks for the info. Going in September and November. Hope I can get it by then.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, first I've heard of this. I suppose getting one in two weeks is out of the question...
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Hmm, first I've heard of this. I suppose getting one in two weeks is out of the question...
Usually it takes about 5 month to get it if your interview center is at SFO. You might be luckier at other places.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Usually it takes about 5 month to get it if your interview center is at SFO. You might be luckier at other places.
If you already have GE card, should take less than 2 wks, at least for me. ymmv
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Actually Indonesia is visa free for many countries now. I've used the APEC card at CGK last year, but it shaved just a few minutes off. Unless you go to countries with huge lines, I wouldn't recommend it.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Unless you go to countries with huge lines, I wouldn't recommend it.
Could you explain, what is a disadvantage having it?

Regarding lines - it saved me standing for 70min line in Shnaghai and 45min wait time in Saigon last year.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: SQ, GA, QF
Not advising that you should or should not apply for the APEC card, but just would like to clarify that Indonesia is visa free for many countries now (only if you enter and exit from specific ports though, including Bali airport).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rizayosia
Not advising that you should or should not apply for the APEC card, but just would like to clarify that Indonesia is visa free for many countries now (only if you enter and exit from specific ports though, including Bali airport).
I think we are distinguishing between 'lines for for VoA' vs. 'Lines for passport control'. While fisa free status will free you up for VoA lines, ABTC will free you up waiting 30-60 minutes for passport check as I've mentioned above.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SQ PPS
good day everyone,

how do you bring/indicate your partner along the APEC/Diplomatic lane since we are supposed to go thru passport control 1 by 1?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by pilotsnoopy
good day everyone,

how do you bring/indicate your partner along the APEC/Diplomatic lane since we are supposed to go thru passport control 1 by 1?
Just go together. I’ve never had a problem. I hand all 2-3 passports together.
pilotsnoopy likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Just go together. I’ve never had a problem. I hand all 2-3 passports together.
Bali was the only place I had a problem with this. No other country has stopped me bringing other people. It has happened twice which is not a huge sample size I grant you.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Just want to share an experience - last month together with wife was at Bali for short holidays. After landing and getting out from the bus (BTW, it was shortest bus ride ever - 50m) and getting into the building we cleared customs/immigration in less that five minutes due to the fact that we did not need visa and we have ABTC cards.

Totally, I checked, from the moment we stepped into the building and to the moment we were in the car with our driver on the way to the hotel - seven minutes passed.

Compare this 1.5h processing time last year at Yogyakarta when had to stand first to VoA line, then on passport control and finally to pick up our luggage. Lesson learned - have visa in the passport or go to visa free countries, have ABTC on hand and have no checked luggage. Things are MUCH better with this arrangement.
Agreed ABTC makes things so much easier. Not just reducing waiting time, but also means I don't need to pay for visas to go into certain countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.