Wiki Posts
Search

Prescription Medication OTC in Phnom Penh

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by erik123
Can you get them? Yes. Is it illegal? Yes, Do tourist buy them for recreational use? Yes. I'd be careful as PP is scam central.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-w...nter-addiction
Originally Posted by NWplatinum

If I'm getting a prescription filled while abroad, for which I have a US doctor prescription for, there is nothing illegal going on.

Since OP is set in his mind that it is legal, then that is fine by him/her.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Ive been taking Valium for 10 years. I just want to say if it’s counterfeit drug, I will know very quickly. Not to mention the drugs I am asking about don’t seem to be reported as being in large part counterfeit if bought from a pharmacy.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
I have several prescription medications that I may need to be refilled while on my travels in Cambodia. I have mostly read that buying serious medication OTC in Cambodia is really easy and prescriptions are not needed. I’m just trying to confirm if that’s still the case and if someone has pharmacies to recommend?

I’m not trying to get my hands on anything hard or illegal, but I will probably need a Zolpidem and Valium refill while I’m there (medications already prescribed to me in the US) and I’m wondering if just walking into a pharmacy to get these medications will be easy? Does anyone have any specific pharmacies to recommend in the city?
Sooo, going to go ahead now and give the OP first hand info on this.

Yes you can get these medications (or the generic equivalent) over the counter in central PP

PM me please if you want, else the thread will continue to be a moral 'you shouldn't be doing this' type of feel
IAN-UK and NWplatinum like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by Goldorak
And very likely counterfeit products.
Valium (diazepam) has been manufactured as a generic for decades at a cost of pennies per dose. That's not the sort of thing to worry about at a decent pharmacy. Still, a cursory search of pharmacies turns up some suitable candidates for reliable dispensaries (including those attached to hospitals/reputable clinics) such as U-Care pharmacy.

Interesting note: It seems based on academic papers looking into this (counterfeit medicine in Myanmar & Cambodia) much of the counterfeit market focuses on antibiotics and anti-malarial/anti-parasite medicines.

Last edited by Amelorn; Dec 2, 2018 at 6:21 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by seavisionburma
.... the thread will continue to be a moral 'you shouldn't be doing this' type of feel
Tiresome isn't it?

But it's a well-worn path: OP asks for information, but gets some nonsense about what is legal and proper in the US morphing into what is ethical behaviour elsewhere in the world.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Tiresome isn't it?

But it's a well-worn path: OP asks for information, but gets some nonsense about what is legal and proper in the US morphing into what is ethical behaviour elsewhere in the world.
Thread suddenly went quiet last few days. Wonder why?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Tiresome isn't it?

THIS. Thank you and @seavision above. I just want info, not ethical advice.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:18 am

There are legitimate pharmacies all over town, and on the few occasions that I needed something that may have required an Rx in the USA, I had no problem buying them OTC (aside from the obvious language barrier). The only issue I ever encountered was that the same drug can have several different names, depending on who is making the generic version. So it is best to do some research before you walk in. But the drugs I am talking about are fairly mundane (xanax, antibiotics, etc), so I can't comment about any of the hardcore heroin-lite opioid painkillers that are all the rage among Americans these days.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by downinit
There are legitimate pharmacies all over town, and on the few occasions that I needed something that may have required an Rx in the USA, I had no problem buying them OTC (aside from the obvious language barrier). The only issue I ever encountered was that the same drug can have several different names, depending on who is making the generic version. So it is best to do some research before you walk in. But the drugs I am talking about are fairly mundane (xanax, antibiotics, etc), so I can't comment about any of the hardcore heroin-lite opioid painkillers that are all the rage among Americans these days.
Thanks for the update. I’m really not interested in any opiates unless I have an emergency with my arthritis so it sounds like what I need they have. Did they put a limit on how much you could have bought? How much was a box of say alprozolam (Xanax) and how many came in the box if you remember?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I use the MIMS.com website in Asia to check out the different medication names and other important info.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:28 pm

Thanks for the update. I’m really not interested in any opiates unless I have an emergency with my arthritis so it sounds like what I need they have. Did they put a limit on how much you could have bought? How much was a box of say alprozolam (Xanax) and how many came in the box if you remember?
I don't remember the exact price, but it was obscenely cheap. They usually sell them by the pill or by the 8 pack. Most of the time, the little mom and pop pharmacies found on every other block break open the boxes of the meds and sell by the sheet or individually. It definitely cuts down on the Rx waste and is better for people who have a hard time being able to afford anything in bulk. It is kind of like how all the neighborhood markets throughout SE Asia sell shampoo and condition in little plastic single-use packets because they cannot afford to buy a whole bottle at once (which is unfortunately a very wasteful practice).
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Amelorn
Still, a cursory search of pharmacies turns up some suitable candidates for reliable dispensaries (including those attached to hospitals/reputable clinics) such as U-Care pharmacy.
If I need medication this is where I get it. Surely someone will come around and tell me the 550mg Apronax anti-inflams as an OTC medication is somehow unethical.

They are probably more expensive than any other shop in town but I'll pay more for piece of mind.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

They are sold 10 to a sheet and are less than $10; no idea how many are in a box... also don't know if that was for .5mg or .25mg... I was being a voyeur on someone's purchase while waiting to get Apronax. Sports and aging don't go so well.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To my knowledge, Valium and Xanax are fairly easy to obtain in SE Asia, including Cambodia. At most you have to walk to a few different pharmacies. The ones clearly serving tourist trade (multiple language signs) in side alleys are usually your best bet.

Zolpidem is another matter. It's a lot more tightly controlled because it's actively dangerous. Pharmacies that'd sell all kinds of things still wouldn't sell that. They'll usually sell you other things that help you sleep... just not Ambien.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.