Wiki Posts
Search

Logistics: TPE to Kaohsiung by train

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Logistics: TPE to Kaohsiung by train

Trying to figure out how much time-buffer I should plan on between scheduled landing in TPE and catching the High Speed Rail to Kaohsiung.
60-90 minutes?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by narvik
Trying to figure out how much time-buffer I should plan on between scheduled landing in TPE and catching the High Speed Rail to Kaohsiung.
60-90 minutes?
It depends on what time you arrive, and your status entering Taiwan - citizen, PR, visitor, etc

However, unless you're arriving in the middle of the night, train service is frequent, so you only need to take the shuttle bus or MRT to the Taoyuan HSR station and use the kiosk or counter to buy a seat on the next train, which could be leaving anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes from that point.
narvik likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Maybe the OP is considering buying the ticket in advance (and to a specific train) to save on the fare?
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Maybe the OP is considering buying the ticket in advance (and to a specific train) to save on the fare?
That would create a tremendous amount of additional stress and complication for minimal cost savings. We would need to know the OP's landing time at TPE, their entry status (visitor, PR, priority, etc), checked bags or not, etc etc to begin to figure out how much time they need to make the transfer safely.
clubeurope and narvik like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
I would plan for 90 min (That's what I plan if not using a Taxi). 30 min or more to get out arrivals, baggage tends not to be that fast. Then subway to High Speed rail takes about 15-20 min travel time plus up to 15 min waiting times for a train. I used use a bus but they have cut back on the bus, so often I take a Taxi (NT$200-300). If I can I fly into/out of KHH. The fastest trains (less stops) tend to run once per hour but from Taoyuan the travel time on the slowest train is only about 15 min more.

Originally Posted by narvik
60-90 minutes?
narvik likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:14 pm

You might want to factor in some time in getting local prepaid SIM card at the airport, just in case there are long queues.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:09 pm

What time do you land? There are HSR trains running about every 15-20 minutes during the day... personally I would just get a ticket when you get to the station. You never know how long it will take to go through immigration, buying your sim or getting your MRT ticket to transfer to the HSR station.
narvik likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:08 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Even at certain times, the Taxi queues get very crowded and probably a 10-15 mins wait.

I agree with the others, to say that the savings are minimal... it's best if you just get a ticket at the station, either through the vending machines or through the ticket booth.

Also, at some times, the immigration queue also gets pretty long, so I don't recommend buying the tickets in advance.
narvik likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Not worth the hassle and minimal savings. Last time I looked at it couple months ago, if booked on Klook, you have to exchange the voucher at the station, long line and staff not familiar with it. Buying direct using smart phone, the many restrictions including not transferable to another device, etc. I wasn't coming in on a flight but still decided it's not worth it.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Klook? You can book on the webpage of the rail company right? I look at this particular train ticket (purchase in advance) some months ago (admittedly I didn't complete the booking) and to me it looked straight forward to purchase the ticket online -. but I might be wrong...
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: Dirt
???? Taiwan High Speed Rail lets you make reservations online but the payment has to take place at either a station's ticket office or at a convenience store within 2 or 3 days. You can receive early bird discounts of 35%, 20% or 10% depending on the train and availability.
In theory, someone abroad can make a reservation 3 days before arrival and pay for the ticket at the station. In practice, the early bird discounts will be all gone and the inbound flight may be delayed for various reasons. Buying the ticket upon arrival at the station gives you the best flexibility.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I was amazed how easy it was to buy my HSR tickets from the machine - super easy and in English. If you get a chance you should also visit Tainan - I'm going back for more in Nov, love Taiwan! Hint here: Kindness Hotels (chain) are super good in that part of Taiwan.
clubeurope and narvik like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
Looks like I will just buy the ticket at the station. Yes, I had initially planned on booking in advance online, but it appears it's not necessary or particularly beneficial.

I land at 6:30pm on Wednesday, Sep 19, and arrive as a visitor, by the way.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:49 am

If you plan on taking the high-speed rail more than once, there is also the tourist pass (several of them actually). It can be bought online but you redeem it for actual tickets at a station only, so, the way it works, you don't have to decide in advance which train to take but can still get some discount over the regular full fare. Details: https://www.thsrc.com.tw/event/2013/.../PassRule.html

From Taoyuan to Zuoying, the discounted price can go down to T$860 from the regular T$1,290 (35% off). Plus, there can be queues at the station, at which point if you don't want to miss the next train you might need to opt in for a business seat ($1,980), as there are separate counters for selling these.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Just an update: it all went as smooth as can be.
The recommendation to just buy the ticket at Taoyuan HSR station and not online in advance was appreciated, and proved stress-free and easy.
Needed to change MRT in Kaohsiung but that also was easy enough. Overall a very productive and pleasant trip.
Thanks to all who replied in this thread!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.