Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer at KUL - Air Asia to Air Asia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Transfer at KUL - Air Asia to Air Asia

I've been going over threads and reviewed the KLIA website and just can;t figure this out. I've only been in KLIA once, a couple years ago.

On an upcoming trip, I am looking to travel LGK-KUL-CNX. Air Asia has this itinerary, but it is only allowed to be booked on separate tickets.

As a result, I understand that we would land, collect bags, check in for new flight, pass immigration/security, proceed to departure gate.

What I can't figure out if transit between terminals is required and is there any advantage to having both legs on AK, or I can mix and match different airlines with the same result.

Finally, AK suggested a 3-hour MCT..

Thanks for any assistance!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
If all on Air Asia you'll stay within klia2, I've done this for HYD-KUL-HAN, incl clearing immigration, no checked bags though.It's actually all quite simple.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Great - thanks for that quick reply! What is your typical time to execute that? I have an option of a 2 hour vs. a 3 hour connection. Of course, the 2 hour connection has more desirable times, but KA receommended have 3 hour MCT.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:35 am

I'd go for 3hrs, just because the queues at immigration on arrival can be quite long (I arrived early morning, around 7am), though it can be done quicker. I had about 4 hours in both directions and had time for breakfast landside (within the terminal) and in one direction had to send some urgent documents for which I had to switch to the main KLIA terminal to go to the Malaysia Post office (spoiler, the documents never arrived). 2hrs is tight but possible, but just go for 3 and don't worry about it, especially as they won't sell it on one ticket (same in my situation, so essentially 2 separate return tix which I nested)
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for the very helpful reply! We will go for the three hour connection!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Yup as per posts above you'll be only in one terminal - KLIA2

I've done AirAsia connections on separate tickets as quick as 60 minutes (arrival gate to departure immigration) and as long as 2 hours, but its generally 90 minutes at a relaxed pace

When you come through arrivals customs door into the downstairs area, you'll see the Maxis mobile shop straight in front of you. Turn immediately right in that corridor and walk along keeping right - there is a set of lifts hidden behind the escalators
Take that lift up to the departure floor, it comes out adjacent to the AirAsia check in counters
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seavisionburma
When you come through arrivals customs door into the downstairs area, you'll see the Maxis mobile shop straight in front of you. Turn immediately right in that corridor and walk along keeping right - there is a set of lifts hidden behind the escalators
Take that lift up to the departure floor, it comes out adjacent to the AirAsia check in counters
Thanks for the details on the route, that's very helpful!
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by beermati
Thanks for the details on the route, that's very helpful!
No problem - probably a small thing, but if you have to walk through the arrivals level looking for the way up to departures, you end up outside and crossing the street to get back to where you were (one floor up)
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:34 am

Note carefully the warning about unpredictably long lines at immigration!

If you haven't got checked luggage, then you can avoid immigration and do an airside transit, if you printed out your boarding pass beforehand (some exceptions).
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by 889
Note carefully the warning about unpredictably long lines at immigration!

If you haven't got checked luggage, then you can avoid immigration and do an airside transit, if you printed out your boarding pass beforehand (some exceptions).
Not sure with AK, they make a big deal about not permitting airside transit if you didn't purchase as one ticket, one issue might be the requirement for BP and doc verification, if you self print your BP usually has a mark that it must be verified (there's a dedicated counter in the check-in area for this) and security won't let you through without the stamp, not sure if this would be an issue at transit security, and as you say, it may be depending on the destination (had this both going to HAN and to HYD, both times on passports requiring a visa for the destination, which might explain it)
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:49 am

No, this has been possible for two or three years now. I have done it several times on separate tickets, including this year.

As I said, there are exceptions. Some destinations, India in particular, do require a document check out in the check-in hall. You'll know this when you printout your ticket. I don't believe this is required on flights to Thailand on Western passports, hence my advice to the OP.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
MH Internartional to MH domestic

First time ever I'm doing a direct transfer, on a single MH ticket, from Jakarta through KUL to Penang (theres a direct Air Asia service I've used before, but the timings don't work). How does the MH-KUL INT DOM transfer process work?

I had the fanciful idea I could go through some sort of transfer immigration and checked bags would go their own way and appear by magic in PEN.

Reading this thread I'm feeling nervous. Enter Malaysia proper at KUL pick up bags and check in again?? Sounds like a nightmare
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
First time ever I'm doing a direct transfer, on a single MH ticket, from Jakarta through KUL to Penang (theres a direct Air Asia service I've used before, but the timings don't work). How does the MH-KUL INT DOM transfer process work?

I had the fanciful idea I could go through some sort of transfer immigration and checked bags would go their own way and appear by magic in PEN.

Reading this thread I'm feeling nervous. Enter Malaysia proper at KUL pick up bags and check in again?? Sounds like a nightmare
This thread relates to AK and klia2, specifically itineraries where AK does not permit connections so one travels on separate tickets.

As for MH, I've not done INT-DOM with MH at KUL but probably like in most countries you need to collect bags, go through immigration and customs, then re-check the bags before the domestic flight, this is assuming Malaysia has a similar setup to most countries where one clears customs at the first port of entry.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Your fanciful idea becomes reality. You'll clear immigration at KUL whilst your bags will be checked all the way to PEN (custom clearance in PEN). It's almost like flying KUL-LHR-MAN (clear immigration at LHR, collect bags/custom clearance at MAN). Don't follow the masses to arrivals, there's another escalator that brings you directly into the domestic departures at the main building (near gate G2).
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nov11
Your fanciful idea becomes reality. You'll clear immigration at KUL whilst your bags will be checked all the way to PEN (custom clearance in PEN). It's almost like flying KUL-LHR-MAN (clear immigration at LHR, collect bags/custom clearance at MAN). Don't follow the masses to arrivals, there's another escalator that brings you directly into the domestic departures at the main building (near gate G2).
Yay! Thanks for that. It's a midnight shuttle from Bandung then a 04:25 departure from CGK - so I'll be more dopey than usual when I get to KUL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.