FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Transfer at KUL - Air Asia to Air Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/1932930-transfer-kul-air-asia-air-asia.html)

beermati Sep 28, 18 8:11 am

Transfer at KUL - Air Asia to Air Asia
 
I've been going over threads and reviewed the KLIA website and just can;t figure this out. I've only been in KLIA once, a couple years ago.

On an upcoming trip, I am looking to travel LGK-KUL-CNX. Air Asia has this itinerary, but it is only allowed to be booked on separate tickets.

As a result, I understand that we would land, collect bags, check in for new flight, pass immigration/security, proceed to departure gate.

What I can't figure out if transit between terminals is required and is there any advantage to having both legs on AK, or I can mix and match different airlines with the same result.

Finally, AK suggested a 3-hour MCT..

Thanks for any assistance!

skywardhunter Sep 28, 18 8:15 am

If all on Air Asia you'll stay within klia2, I've done this for HYD-KUL-HAN, incl clearing immigration, no checked bags though.It's actually all quite simple.

beermati Sep 28, 18 8:40 am

Great - thanks for that quick reply! What is your typical time to execute that? I have an option of a 2 hour vs. a 3 hour connection. Of course, the 2 hour connection has more desirable times, but KA receommended have 3 hour MCT.

skywardhunter Sep 28, 18 9:35 am

I'd go for 3hrs, just because the queues at immigration on arrival can be quite long (I arrived early morning, around 7am), though it can be done quicker. I had about 4 hours in both directions and had time for breakfast landside (within the terminal) and in one direction had to send some urgent documents for which I had to switch to the main KLIA terminal to go to the Malaysia Post office (spoiler, the documents never arrived). 2hrs is tight but possible, but just go for 3 and don't worry about it, especially as they won't sell it on one ticket (same in my situation, so essentially 2 separate return tix which I nested)

beermati Sep 28, 18 9:45 am

Thanks again for the very helpful reply! We will go for the three hour connection!

seavisionburma Sep 29, 18 2:09 am

Yup as per posts above you'll be only in one terminal - KLIA2

I've done AirAsia connections on separate tickets as quick as 60 minutes (arrival gate to departure immigration) and as long as 2 hours, but its generally 90 minutes at a relaxed pace

When you come through arrivals customs door into the downstairs area, you'll see the Maxis mobile shop straight in front of you. Turn immediately right in that corridor and walk along keeping right - there is a set of lifts hidden behind the escalators
Take that lift up to the departure floor, it comes out adjacent to the AirAsia check in counters

beermati Sep 29, 18 10:27 am


Originally Posted by seavisionburma (Post 30259539)
When you come through arrivals customs door into the downstairs area, you'll see the Maxis mobile shop straight in front of you. Turn immediately right in that corridor and walk along keeping right - there is a set of lifts hidden behind the escalators
Take that lift up to the departure floor, it comes out adjacent to the AirAsia check in counters

Thanks for the details on the route, that's very helpful! :)

seavisionburma Sep 29, 18 12:37 pm


Originally Posted by beermati (Post 30260537)
Thanks for the details on the route, that's very helpful! :)

No problem - probably a small thing, but if you have to walk through the arrivals level looking for the way up to departures, you end up outside and crossing the street to get back to where you were (one floor up)

889 Oct 1, 18 3:34 am

Note carefully the warning about unpredictably long lines at immigration!

If you haven't got checked luggage, then you can avoid immigration and do an airside transit, if you printed out your boarding pass beforehand (some exceptions).

skywardhunter Oct 1, 18 4:29 am


Originally Posted by 889 (Post 30265657)
Note carefully the warning about unpredictably long lines at immigration!

If you haven't got checked luggage, then you can avoid immigration and do an airside transit, if you printed out your boarding pass beforehand (some exceptions).

Not sure with AK, they make a big deal about not permitting airside transit if you didn't purchase as one ticket, one issue might be the requirement for BP and doc verification, if you self print your BP usually has a mark that it must be verified (there's a dedicated counter in the check-in area for this) and security won't let you through without the stamp, not sure if this would be an issue at transit security, and as you say, it may be depending on the destination (had this both going to HAN and to HYD, both times on passports requiring a visa for the destination, which might explain it)

889 Oct 1, 18 4:49 am

No, this has been possible for two or three years now. I have done it several times on separate tickets, including this year.

As I said, there are exceptions. Some destinations, India in particular, do require a document check out in the check-in hall. You'll know this when you printout your ticket. I don't believe this is required on flights to Thailand on Western passports, hence my advice to the OP.

IAN-UK Oct 1, 18 8:01 am

MH Internartional to MH domestic
 
First time ever I'm doing a direct transfer, on a single MH ticket, from Jakarta through KUL to Penang (theres a direct Air Asia service I've used before, but the timings don't work). How does the MH-KUL INT DOM transfer process work?

I had the fanciful idea I could go through some sort of transfer immigration and checked bags would go their own way and appear by magic in PEN.

Reading this thread I'm feeling nervous. Enter Malaysia proper at KUL pick up bags and check in again?? Sounds like a nightmare :)

skywardhunter Oct 1, 18 8:32 am


Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 30266288)
First time ever I'm doing a direct transfer, on a single MH ticket, from Jakarta through KUL to Penang (theres a direct Air Asia service I've used before, but the timings don't work). How does the MH-KUL INT DOM transfer process work?

I had the fanciful idea I could go through some sort of transfer immigration and checked bags would go their own way and appear by magic in PEN.

Reading this thread I'm feeling nervous. Enter Malaysia proper at KUL pick up bags and check in again?? Sounds like a nightmare :)

This thread relates to AK and klia2, specifically itineraries where AK does not permit connections so one travels on separate tickets.

As for MH, I've not done INT-DOM with MH at KUL but probably like in most countries you need to collect bags, go through immigration and customs, then re-check the bags before the domestic flight, this is assuming Malaysia has a similar setup to most countries where one clears customs at the first port of entry.

nov11 Oct 1, 18 5:01 pm


Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 30266288)
I had the fanciful idea I could go through some sort of transfer immigration and checked bags would go their own way and appear by magic in PEN.

Reading this thread I'm feeling nervous. Enter Malaysia proper at KUL pick up bags and check in again?? Sounds like a nightmare :)

Your fanciful idea becomes reality. You'll clear immigration at KUL whilst your bags will be checked all the way to PEN (custom clearance in PEN). It's almost like flying KUL-LHR-MAN (clear immigration at LHR, collect bags/custom clearance at MAN). Don't follow the masses to arrivals, there's another escalator that brings you directly into the domestic departures at the main building (near gate G2).

IAN-UK Oct 1, 18 8:15 pm


Originally Posted by nov11 (Post 30268133)
Your fanciful idea becomes reality. You'll clear immigration at KUL whilst your bags will be checked all the way to PEN (custom clearance in PEN). It's almost like flying KUL-LHR-MAN (clear immigration at LHR, collect bags/custom clearance at MAN). Don't follow the masses to arrivals, there's another escalator that brings you directly into the domestic departures at the main building (near gate G2).

Yay! Thanks for that. It's a midnight shuttle from Bandung then a 04:25 departure from CGK - so I'll be more dopey than usual when I get to KUL :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:51 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.