Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Manila for 1 month - Ascott BGC WiFi Concerns

Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

I'm planning a month-long trip to Manila. Although I have visited for vacation a few times, this time it's a bit of an extended stay, so I plan to work a bit as well. So, my concern is reliable WiFi and speed. Can anyone confirm whether they have had any issues with WiFi at this hotel? I've never stayed at an Ascott before, but their model is serviced apartments. So, you get nice hotel-like accommodations where you get your unit cleaned and you get a kitchenette. But, they do look much more luxurious than the typical extended stay type hotels in the U.S. And, from the pictures posted online, it looks like a really nice place. So...now about the WiFi. I have been told they only have 6mbps in the rooms. I need to be able to connect with folks at work via Skype for Business, screen share, upload/download files, etc. I really like this hotel and location (next to the Shangri-la at the Fort where I've stayed for vacation) but the meager 6mbps has me a bit worried. But, perhaps it's all I need? Anyone stay at this hotel and use Skype no problem? Any issues?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:26 pm

It is a new building therefore it would have been wired with fiber optics. 6MBPS should be enough for what you need to do, and if it isn't, you can always work with the manager to have IT increase the bandwidth in your room.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

I hope it's that simple Thanks for the tip!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
or avoid Skype - for some reason I have found Zoom works better when I have been in the PHL and when communicating with colleagues there. Doesn't make sense why this is so, but it is my experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.