Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on possible trip to Dhaka, Kathmandu & Lahore

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Feedback on possible trip to Dhaka, Kathmandu & Lahore

Would it be a good trip to combine these three together? We've been to India before. A trip back to South Asia to visit these three new countries might be fun, and we're wondering if it makes sense to visit them together. Interests are culture, history, food, nice people, and relatively untouristed places.

We've done a fair amount of research, and it seems like there's enough for 2 sightseeing days in Dhaka, 3 sightseeing days in Kathmandu and 2 sightseeing days in Lahore. We'd have more time and not sure what else it would make sense to add on.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
I have not done Lahore, but I spent three days in Dhaka last year and three days in Kathmandu the year before - had guides for both and I would definitely recommend it to maximize your time in both places. I felt it was the right number of days in both cities, although if I had a little extra time in Dhaka I might have taken a river cruise (DanielW has a good report in the Trip Report forum). Similarly, I might have done some hiking in the foothills if I had an extra day or two in Kathmandu. Wouldn't try to get to EBC, but just to get out in the wilderness a bit would be fun. A future trip, perhaps. Overall the three days I spent was adequate to get a feel of the city, the people, the sights, and the food.

Overall, I think you will get a good experience in both places with the amount of time you plan on spending. I had a great time and met a lot of interesting and wonderful people.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

All, thoughts on this itinerary:

Friday: LAX-PEK 1:40am-5:20am*

Saturday: PEK-KHG 8:20am-3:25pm, Stay in Kashgar

Sunday: Kashgar (Animal Market, daily market, mosque, old town), stay in Kashgar

Monday: Kashgar to Tashkurgan (Karakul lake, stone fort), stay in Tashkurgan

Tuesday: Tashkurgan into Pakistan, stay in Passu

Wednesday: Passu to Karimabad, stay in Karimabad

Thursday: Full day in/around Karimabad, stay in Giglit

Friday: drive Giglit to Naran, stay in Naran

Saturday: drive Naran to Islamabad to Lahore, stay Lahore

Sunday: Lahore full day, stay in Lahore

Monday: Lahore full day, stay in Lahore

Tuesday: Lahore to Amritsar, see Amritsar, stay in Amritsar

Wednesday: Fly from Amristar to Kathmandu 10:10AM-3:50PM ATQ-DEL-KTM, stay in Kathmandu

Thursday: Full day in Kathmandu, stay in Kathmandu

Friday: Full day in Kathmandu, stay in Kathmandu

Saturday: Kathmandu to Dhaka 1:30PM-3:15PM, stay in Dhaka

Sunday: Dhaka full day [fort closed Sunday]

Monday: DAC-DOH 2:50AM-6:15AM; DOH-LAX 7:45AM-1:20PM
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:39 am

I've done the Lahore to Kashgar part in 2013, but with more stops for day hikes and sightseeing. Even with private 4-wheel drive transport all the way there were long driving days. I think your itinerary is aggressive but doable, assuming you have all the visas and transport lined up. The area along the KKH is astounding and beautiful. One of my most memorable trips.

Last edited by jadecocoa; Aug 26, 2018 at 5:42 am Reason: additional info
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:57 am

Too much moving around for my taste. You can easily spend a week in Kathmandu and not get bored. Lot's of day-treks and other options nearby. I would stick to two countries max.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq

Saturday: Kathmandu to Dhaka 1:30PM-3:15PM, stay in Dhaka

Sunday: Dhaka full day [fort closed Sunday]

Monday: DAC-DOH 2:50AM-6:15AM; DOH-LAX 7:45AM-1:20PM

Do you want to go inside the fort compound while in Dhaka? If so, there's no possible way you'll make it there on your arrival day even if you go there directly from the airport. While the distance is not very great, Dhaka traffic is horrendous; the drive from the airport to the old town can easily take two hours.

Also, you should know that it's not uncommon for tourist attractions (like the fort or pink palace) to randomly close early or altogether on certain days without providing any formal advance notice. It's a lot more casual than things here.

If there are other things you're planning to do on Sunday, then I'd say go for it. Just know that the traffic situation makes it much more difficult to see sights in a reasonable amount of time.

Also, tours of the parliament building can be pre-arranged, but the cost is exorbitant. They currently charge an admission fee of around $100 US (per person I believe).
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swingaling
Do you want to go inside the fort compound while in Dhaka? If so, there's no possible way you'll make it there on your arrival day even if you go there directly from the airport. While the distance is not very great, Dhaka traffic is horrendous; the drive from the airport to the old town can easily take two hours.
Award flights out of KTM were impossible and availability was good from DAC. So we figured we'd spend a day in DAC to see a new place. Worth visiting even if we can't make it inside the fort? Not dying to go see the fort, but it seems like one of the main attractions. There's supposedly a sound & light show at night at the fort. Any chance we'd make it there in time on Saturday night?

Thanks all for all the other advice.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
Award flights out of KTM were impossible and availability was good from DAC. So we figured we'd spend a day in DAC to see a new place. Worth visiting even if we can't make it inside the fort? Not dying to go see the fort, but it seems like one of the main attractions. There's supposedly a sound & light show at night at the fort. Any chance we'd make it there in time on Saturday night?

Thanks all for all the other advice.
DAC is worth a visit. As long as your expectations aren't high, you shouldn't be disappointed. I'd budget ~2 hours to get from the airport to the fort (hire a driver to take you). If you need a visa on arrival, immigration will probably take around 30 minutes. I'd suggest visiting the pink palace if it's open on Sundays.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Very revised itinerary below. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thank you!

1. Fri: LAX-HKG 1:20AM-7:25AM*

2. Sat: Full Day Layover in HKG, HKG-DAC 10:55pm-1:00am*, o/n Dhaka

3. Sun: Rest in Dhaka, o/n Rocket Steamer Cruise

4. Mon: Bagerhat, o/n in Khulna

5. Tue: Fly Khulna to Dhaka (JSR-DAC 8:50AM-9:30AM / 12:05PM-12:45PM Novoair $32), day in Dhaka, o/n Dhaka

6. Wed: DAC-KTM 11:00-12:30PM Biman $161 daily, Afternoon in Kathmandu, o/n Kathmandu

7. Thu: Full day Kathmandu (Patan & Bhaktapur), o/n Kathmandu

8. Fri: Morning in Kathmandu, KTM-DEL-ATQ 4:50PM-9:15PM Jet $207

9. Sat: Morning in Amritsar, Amritsar to Lahore (border @ 3.30pm), o/n Lahore

10. Sun: Lahore Day 1, o/n Lahore

11. Mon: Lahore Day 2, o/n Lahore

12. Tue: Lahore to Islamabad (Daewoo bus), Islamabad in afternoon, o/n Islamabad

13. Wed: Peshawar day trip (& Taxila / truck painting workshop?) from Islamabad, ISB-KHI 8:30PM-10:45PM (lots of evening flights, ~$110), o/n Karachi

14. Thu: Karachi Day 1 (city sites), o/n Karachi

15. Fri: Karachi Day 2 (day trip Chaukhandi tombs, Makli necropolises at Thatta, Shah Jahan Mosque, etc.), o/n Karachi

16. Sat: KHI-DOH 9:35AM-10:45AM, afternoon in Doha, o/n Doha

17. Sun: DOH-LAX 7:45AM-1:20PM
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:05 pm

Makes my head spin. Your are spending most of your time on the move. I would need a vaction to recuperate from such an itin..
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:12 pm

If your planning on visiting North Pakistan, give yourself at least a week especially in the winter months. Road closures are common, and takes a while from point A to B. If you do, do add Fairy Meadows before Gilgit.

Islamabad, check out the Faisal mosque for sure and Pakistan monument. Dinner at Monal restaurant.

Karachi, goto Mazar e Quaid, Kharadar, Empress market, Saddar, if you have time, there are diving sites around islands.

edit: please do share where you are getting such cheap flights from ISB to KHI,. Thanks.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etihad999
If your planning on visiting North Pakistan, give yourself at least a week especially in the winter months. Road closures are common, and takes a while from point A to B. If you do, do add Fairy Meadows before Gilgit.

Islamabad, check out the Faisal mosque for sure and Pakistan monument. Dinner at Monal restaurant.

Karachi, goto Mazar e Quaid, Kharadar, Empress market, Saddar, if you have time, there are diving sites around islands.

edit: please do share where you are getting such cheap flights from ISB to KHI,. Thanks.
Thanks, but we're no longer visiting the North. Is Monal actually good food, or is it about the view?

ISB-KHI flights are cheap according to google flights.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: Tourism
Must visit Lahore, it is full of culture, hundreds of food varieties, historical places and what not. It is very welcoming city

Lahore is a must go for its historical places, food and what not. it as something to offer to everyone.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 10, 2019 at 9:24 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.