Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Seoul or Tokyo for 1 night layover?

Old Aug 10, 18, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL, Hilton GLD, IHG PLT

Please help me decide which airport will be a better overnight layover?

2 adults 1 child. I'll be redeeming Y award 1 way from HKG to NYC with a layover in ICN or Tokyo. I can redeem on Asiana or JAL. Asiana lands in Seoul mid afternoon, flying out 10 am next day. JAL lands 8pm at HND and leaves 6 pm from NRT next day. Haven't been to either city and very much would love to have a nice dinner at least for that night.

I'm leaning towards Tokyo given it's a longer time frame. But I know NRT is far so I will only have the morning to explore. And may even go directly from HND to Narita city and explore there next day. OTOH, I'll have more time for dinner in Seoul. And hotel *might* be slightly cheaper. I have flown JAL and loves it. Hoping Asiana will be similar.

Opinion?
Old Aug 10, 18, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I would probably go into HND and out NRT. Mostly because for ICN to the train is ~45+ minutes. Which for a 10am fight you are getting up at, at least 6am if not earlier.

For a 6pm flight out of NRT you are leaving the City by around 2-3pm.
Old Aug 10, 18, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Asia Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 10, 18, 4:24 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Tokyo is much easier for a 1 day visit, and HND arrival makes it even easier. Train to NRT is excellent so you have until 2pm to explore. Narita City is a charming country town, but not Tokyo
Old Aug 12, 18, 12:05 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
ICN is a much better airport (only Singapore is better in Asia) - easy train connection to Seoul.
Old Aug 12, 18, 4:47 am
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold, SK EBB Silver, JX COSMILE Insighter
Another vote for HND or otherwise NRT. Both are connected very well to the city, especially with the NEX for the latter. With Haneda, you are practically between Tokyo and Yokohama (great food and cheap places to stay too!) and is very accessible by train to either city.

Additionally, if you're curious about Maritime or like being in a harbour city, Yokohama is a great place to spend a night. It's relatively smaller and also slightly cheaper than Tokyo. Yokohama is also connected to Narita by NEX and to Haneda by commuter trains.
Old Aug 12, 18, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL, Hilton GLD, IHG PLT
Thanks all. I think I'm leaning towards Japan. Thanks for the Yokohama suggestion. I'll look into it. I'm more interested in ability to have a good late night dinner that night.

If I were to do Yokohama for the night, should I spend the next morning there too? Or head to Narita city before NRT airport? I seem to think heading to Tokyo would be inefficient given my time frame.
Old Aug 13, 18, 9:02 pm

Programs: most of them
there's a pretty easy bus from HND to Yokohama as well. But that puts you farther away from NRT.

I like Seoul. The train from ICN to the city is easy but take a little while.

Personally I would vote for Seoul, but either way you're not really going to see a whole lot in such a short time. I felt like Seoul was just a bit easier to get around.
Old Aug 13, 18, 11:11 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeRitz-Carlton Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold, SK EBB Silver, JX COSMILE Insighter
Originally Posted by glennaa11 View Post
there's a pretty easy bus from HND to Yokohama as well. But that puts you farther away from NRT.
This is correct, but it wonít be much of a problem to go to Narita as the city is connected directly to Narita Airport by the Narita Express (NEX). Yokohama is about 90 minutes from Narita airport by NEX.

I canít say for myself about Narita city, as I have not visited the city personally (apart from physically being at the airport.

In spite of that, Tokyo is a gigantic metropolis, and I would personally save it for a trip of its own, given how amazing the place is.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: