Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help needed for 2.5 week itinerary (Thailand/Vietnam)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I'm looking for some help planning an itinerary that starts and ends in Bangkok and lasts approx 2 and a half weeks in May 2019. My husband and I originally intended to do this trip as our honeymoon but money issues that come with weddings meant we've pushed it back to our one year anniversary. I have no idea where to start and am getting lost in advice pages. Ideally we would like to have a nice mix between a typical traveller holiday and some more luxurious nights to relax. My husband would really like to visit Vietnam and we could definitely organise flights if this is the easiest way, or train/bus with stops in Cambodia and/or Laos if it's recommended.
Any advice from people who have been and know what's worthwhile and how to make this happen is much appreciated!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Carla3007
Hi, I'm looking for some help planning an itinerary that starts and ends in Bangkok and lasts approx 2 and a half weeks in May 2019. My husband and I originally intended to do this trip as our honeymoon but money issues that come with weddings meant we've pushed it back to our one year anniversary. I have no idea where to start and am getting lost in advice pages. Ideally we would like to have a nice mix between a typical traveller holiday and some more luxurious nights to relax. My husband would really like to visit Vietnam and we could definitely organise flights if this is the easiest way, or train/bus with stops in Cambodia and/or Laos if it's recommended.
Any advice from people who have been and know what's worthwhile and how to make this happen is much appreciated!
having spent 2 6 month blocks travelling through south east Asia, I would suggest choosing just 1 country out of the two.

Have you been to south east Asia (or Asia in general) before? If so, what countries? If not, I would suggest picking Thailand as it is easy to move and very geared up toward the traveller. Vietnam is not too far behind but not quite as easy as Thailand.

If you answer those those questions I will get back to you with a few suggestions - as will others I’m sure.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! No, neither of us have ever been before. I'll definitely take it on board that sticking to one country is the better option. I suppose the main thing is that we're looking to have a mini traveller experience (something neither of us did when we were younger and regret) followed by something more luxurious and a relaxing break. Thanks again.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:24 pm

Thank you! No, neither of us have ever been before. I'll definitely take it on board that sticking to one country is the better option. I suppose the main thing is that we're looking to have a mini traveller experience (something neither of us did when we were younger and regret) followed by something more luxurious and a relaxing break. Thanks again.
ok - cool.

Thailand has has lots to offer and if you’re looking for a little adventure you could spend a week or so in the north. Chiangmai is the logical spot for first time visitors and has easy access to some outdoor activities. Chiangrai is another option in the same area. It’s much smaller than Chiangmai but that comes with its advantages too. if you fancy getting a little bit off the mainstream locations you could also do Mae Hong Son - a beautiful area on the border with Burma.

Bangkok itself will divide opinions but as it will be your first trip, I would recommend a night or two there but personally, I wouldn’t want more than that. As to where to stay, that depends on what you are after - it’s very much old meets new and it’s very Morden in places. If you are looking for what you missed (and I use the term “missed” loosely) when you were younger, then khao san road area will be where you would have ended up. It’s worth a visit if for nothing more than a beer or two while you watch the gap year students get their hair braided and a tattoo as if it’s essential to travel within SE Asia. It really is a mad place and despite not selling it well, it’s worth an hour or two of an evening.

Beachwise - Phuket is the main area and does have some luxurious resorts but by May, the Andaman sea is not so great as the wet season is starting to kick in (you may get lucky and it could still be very nice as it can vary from year to year). The other side of Thailand will see better weather so you can consider koh samui which is a big tourist destination that caters for all budgets. A slightly less touristy spot for beaches is a couple of islands to the south east of Bangkok - Koh Kut or Koh Chang (not to be confused with the koh Chang in Phuket.

If if you are looking to go to Vietnam, I would recommend Phu Quoc island for luxury on a beach, hoi an for a beautiful city with amazing food and a junk boat excursion on Halong Bay.

However, unless there is something in particular you need from vietnam, you will easily be able to fill 2-3 weeks in Thailand.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA
My first trip to Thailand comprised of a trip to Chiang Rai, Bangkok and Samui, this gives a good blend of experiences. Bangkok is a mass of contrasts which I like, although I prefer staying by the river. You can fly easily between the North, Bangkok and the islands.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:10 am

Where are you flying from as that might determine the easiest big city to visit (e.g. as a stopover).
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
http://www.travelfish.org/ is the definitive guide to Southeast Asia. Head there to figure things out.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Two and a half weeks is more than enough time to visit both Thailand and Vietnam. I wouldn't fly all that way and spend the entire 18 days in just one of the two countries. Pointless.

You might construct an itinerary that looks something like this:

3-4 nights in Bangkok upon arrival to recover from jet lag and take in the sights.

3 nights in either Chiang Mai or one of the Thailand beach communities (depending upon your preference).

After a week In Thailand, fly to Hanoi for 3-4 nights. Take 1-2 night Halong Bay cruise, if that's of interest to you. (Make certain you obtain a Vietnam visa in advance of traveling there, if you require one - if you are a US citizen you need one.)

Then, fly to Da Nang and spend 3-4 nights in Da Nang and/or Hoi An (they're about 45 mins apart by car/van.)

Go back to Bangkok for a night or two prior to flying home.

There are numerous low cost airlines flying around Asia that makes flying to/from these destinations relatively inexpensive with a bit of early planning.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Aug 5, 2018 at 5:29 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:46 pm

Agree with post #7 .
You should do research on Travelfish.org and then Tripadvisor for "Things To Do" in each place. Hope you will have a great plan!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:59 am

I will also vote for the "pick one country" option. 2.5 weeks (17 days) goes by quick.
However, if you do decide to do Thailand and Vietnam, then definitely fly. Don't try to take a train/bus to Cambodia if your final destination is Vietnam. Flights are like $100 per person each way.
smc333 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: most of them
Normally I am also of the "go slow and stick to one place" school. But if you really want to do both this is enough time to get your feet wet in both places. I agree that there is plenty to see in each to spend the whole time in one or the other. I have more experience with Thailand which has a lot to offer. You could spend months there. But at least you're not trying to do both in a week.

For sure flying between the two countries is the easiest way to go. Flights are not terribly expensive. You might want to do a bit of research though before booking ultra-cheap flights on the low cost carriers. Make sure you know what's included in the fare and what isn't. While I like Laos and Cambodia as well, I don't think there is any sort of reasonable drive. If you had months and a real desire to get there by road, then sure. But flying makes the most sense.

As for where to go, that's something you're going to have to do some research on and figure out for yourself I think. Depends on what sorts of things you really like to do, budget, etc.

I love the chaos of Bangkok but for a first visit I agree that 3-4 days on arrival makes sense to get used to the time zone and see the main sights. Personally I am not into beaches (they're all the same to me) so I wouldn't bother with a beach resort but some people love that sort of thing. You'll need to decide if you want that or not. I like the idea of heading north for several days and then flying over to Hanoi to visit that part of Vietnam. On my first visit to VN I did a few days in Hanoi with one day to see the major sights in the city and then a couple of days trips to places around the area including Halong Bay. I just went there as a day trip with a few hours on a boat around the bay but didn't do an overnight there. From there I flew to Hue for a couple nights before driving to Hoi An. I happened to go in November which is rainy season for the central coast which meant a rainy and windy time on day 2 there. You could skip the central part and just fly down to SGN. I am headed to Ho Chi Minh City and then Dalat early next year for a week total.

Then you could finish with a couple of days in Bangkok before flying out.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:15 pm

Typical would be BKK-Chiang Mai/Rai- Luang Prabang- Hanoi (+Halong) - though the that would preclude beaches unless you opt for Cat Ba. The alternative is Bangkok-Siem Reap-Ho Chi Minh. You can find beaches along the way.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
The original post is fairly vague and the time constraints very limiting, but I can tell you that the mistake most first timers to SE Asia make is too much moving around. More research is needed by the OP. Thailand by itself would be my choice for this short trip - Vietnam is not the easiest place to travel, and you would not see much of it on such a trip!
CrazyInteg likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
OP, question - could you tell in 1-2 sentences what would be the best and worst things as an experience from this travel?
What you are looking forward to experience and what you want to avoid? Knowing what you do not want is as important as knowing what you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.