Reload this Page >

Ask us about Vietnam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:43 am

My wife and I will arrive in Hanoi on a late Sunday evening. We have a hotel booked for $12/NT near the airport. Plan is to leave early Monday morning go to Halong Bay via bus and return Monday night. Fly out Tuesday around noon to Da Nang then back home. Trying to push our arrival up a day to get in Sat night instead so can take bus to the Bay Sunday morning, spend the night, come back Monday afternoon to Hanoi.

Questions are, how to get from airport to ‘Old Quarter’ I think it is where the buses go to the Bay. For an 11p arrival is it better to stay near the airport so can get to bed quickly or better to stay near the bus terminal so don’t have to fight traffic in the morning getting there? Any tips on doing this? Our budget is pretty low and we speak no Vietnamese at all. Thanks for any and all help.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by lovefly88
My wife and I will arrive in Hanoi on a late Sunday evening. We have a hotel booked for $12/NT near the airport. Plan is to leave early Monday morning go to Halong Bay via bus and return Monday night. Fly out Tuesday around noon to Da Nang then back home. Trying to push our arrival up a day to get in Sat night instead so can take bus to the Bay Sunday morning, spend the night, come back Monday afternoon to Hanoi.

Questions are, how to get from airport to ‘Old Quarter’ I think it is where the buses go to the Bay. For an 11p arrival is it better to stay near the airport so can get to bed quickly or better to stay near the bus terminal so don’t have to fight traffic in the morning getting there? Any tips on doing this? Our budget is pretty low and we speak no Vietnamese at all. Thanks for any and all help.
https://blog.christinas.vn/noi-bai-i...hanoi-airport/
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Hanoi
But at 11pm, that orange tourist bus will be closed for the night.

Have you already booked your Halong Bay trip? That same company would probably also organize a private driver from the airport for you. Or your hotel would probably book a driver as well.
I did an 11pm arrival not long ago, and I debated staying at the airport, or just going straight into town. I ended up going straight to town, and I was glad that I did. Otherwise, if you're able-bodied, you could easily walk from the airport to the hotels to the west of the international terminal. You can even do a practice walk on Google street view.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
https://blog.christinas.vn/noi-bai-i...hanoi-airport/
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Hanoi
But at 11pm, that orange tourist bus will be closed for the night.

Have you already booked your Halong Bay trip? That same company would probably also organize a private driver from the airport for you. Or your hotel would probably book a driver as well.
I did an 11pm arrival not long ago, and I debated staying at the airport, or just going straight into town. I ended up going straight to town, and I was glad that I did. Otherwise, if you're able-bodied, you could easily walk from the airport to the hotels to the west of the international terminal. You can even do a practice walk on Google street view.
I might be wrong but my gut tells me from how this OP posted, that using a hotel or the company they will be with will charge a ton more then taking a reg public bus. I guess there maybe very cheap day boats.

I 2nd staying in town
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
HAN Airport Tour or Hanio Day Tour

In a Few days I have 10 hours Layover at HAN airport before my next destination. Do we have any stuff we can do in HAN airport or do a quick City tour like 4 hours or something. Any Suggestions please..
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by craz
I might be wrong but my gut tells me from how this OP posted, that using a hotel or the company they will be with will charge a ton more then taking a reg public bus. I guess there maybe very cheap day boats.

I 2nd staying in town
Oh, I totally agree. I'm just throwing out ideas for them. I did a shared van, which was cheap, but I've been to Vietnam several times and was mostly familiar with the process. It would be ideal if that tourist bus could run until midnight. I don't think there's really a cheap way to get into town around midnight.

If they could walk to a hotel by the airport and have their Halong Bay tour company pick them up from their airport hotel FOR NO ADDITIONAL COST, then that would probably be the cheapest and easiest way. I doubt the tour company would do this though, but worth an email to ask.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:07 am
Suspended

Oh, I totally agree. I'm just throwing out ideas for them. I did a shared van, which was cheap, but I've been to Vietnam several times and was mostly familiar with the process. It would be ideal if that tourist bus could run until midnight. I don't think there's really a cheap way to get into town around midnight.

If they could walk to a hotel by the airport and have their Halong Bay tour company pick them up from their airport hotel FOR NO ADDITIONAL COST, then that would probably be the cheapest and easiest way. I doubt the tour company would do this though, but worth an email to ask.
I did a 1 nighter on a 5* boat and they refused to get me in West Lake, ended up switching to The HGI and they got me there but said thats about the limit theyd go out of the Old City area

I have no idea if its the OPs 1st trip or not, if it was me and I was never in Hanoi Id rather spend the day touring Hanoi then head to HaLong. HaL was nice but definitely it didnt live up to what I thought it was going to be. And it was cloudy and at times some rain. Friends were just there on a 15 day cruise and ran into the same problem. They were happy it was part of their cruise as they said had they gone there from HAN they would have been disappointed in wasting their time
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:37 am

@craz and crazyinteg

thanks for the messages back. You’re definitely right in that we’re looking for the cheapest way possible. Getting from the airport to the hotel shouldn’t be a problem as it’s less than 10 minutes away.

My my wife and I are both well traveled throughout Asia, Europe, South Africa, Central and South America. Vietnam is a new experience in that most of the countries we’ve been to we either speak their language or they speak English. It seems in Vietnam, not many people speak English so our communication skills will be enhanced.

Is is there any sort of public bus that tuns from near the airport to Halong Bay without having to go into the city? We love to experience life like the locals not just for the budget savings but also to step into someone else’s shoes for a day. Another way we were looking at is instead of going all the way back to HAN and flying to Da Nang, go from HL to Cat Bibairport (HPH) after our visit to HL. Stay in a cheap hotel there and then in the morning fly to DAD. We would arrive around 8:30 I think and don’t take off until 6:30p. Not sure what we would do there.

What do you think?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:00 am

Getting from the airport to the hotel shouldn’t be a problem as it’s less than 10 minutes away.
It's more than 10 minutes, unless Tran Andretti is driving.

Is is there any sort of public bus that tuns from near the airport to Halong Bay without having to go into the city? We love to experience life like the locals not just for the budget savings but also to step into someone else’s shoes for a day.
(You're wanting a bus to Hai Phong city) It's likely cheaper to book the whole day trip through a company that does these tours. They usually include all transportation. Keep in mind that 99.9% of the people going there are tourists (a.k.a. not local Hai Phongians). The tour will pick you up in Hanoi, take you around all day, and bring you back to Hanoi in the evening.

What do you think?
I understand what you're after. Absolute cheapest way will not be the fastest way and be very inconvenient. On top of that there is a language barrier.
You haven't even started asking us, "Which Halong Bay cruise should I take?"

My advice to you is to take a taxi into the old town after your flight arrives. The only other option is to get a shared bus from the 1st or 2nd curb off the main walkway. You will need to know the price beforehand and negotiate to get that price. It might take walking away 2 times before they agree to the correct price. (Don't pay over 100k Dong per person).
You will spend hours researching the dozens of Halong Bay cruise ships. You will get frustrated. Then you will hear about Lan Ha and get even more frustrated.

Spending an hour of research to find a cheap ride to town or cheaper airport hotel to save $10, can easily be lost in a Halong Bay cruise that costs $60 per person.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:49 pm

It's more than 10 minutes, unless Tran Andretti is driving.

(You're wanting a bus to Hai Phong city) It's likely cheaper to book the whole day trip through a company that does these tours. They usually include all transportation. Keep in mind that 99.9% of the people going there are tourists (a.k.a. not local Hai Phongians). The tour will pick you up in Hanoi, take you around all day, and bring you back to Hanoi in the evening.

I understand what you're after. Absolute cheapest way will not be the fastest way and be very inconvenient. On top of that there is a language barrier.
You haven't even started asking us, "Which Halong Bay cruise should I take?"

My advice to you is to take a taxi into the old town after your flight arrives. The only other option is to get a shared bus from the 1st or 2nd curb off the main walkway. You will need to know the price beforehand and negotiate to get that price. It might take walking away 2 times before they agree to the correct price. (Don't pay over 100k Dong per person).
You will spend hours researching the dozens of Halong Bay cruise ships. You will get frustrated. Then you will hear about Lan Ha and get even more frustrated.

Spending an hour of research to find a cheap ride to town or cheaper airport hotel to save $10, can easily be lost in a Halong Bay cruise that costs $60 per person.

thanks again for the feedback on the hotel in town verse getting one near the airport. We’re booked at the Sao Mai Hostel hotel. One customer said 5 min taxi ride for $3 from airport to hotel. Another said only 1KM.

From the research my wife saw we were just going to look for a boat that might take us around for $5-10. In Phi Phi Islands last year we did an entire morning for $20 for both of us. She thought it looked even cheaper in Vietnam. Looks like we might have got it wrong though?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:47 pm

Bad luck in Hanoi

So I had booked our trip to Vietnam long ago and planned to exit from Hanoi on 28 February - and now, Trump and Kim have decided to be in Hanoi just when we are there. Thankfully our hotels were booked long ago (they are sold out now), but I don't care for the inevitable traffic disruptions, all pervasive "security", higher prices charged by local vendors eagerly anticipating the increased footfall and above all the very likely hassles and delays at Noi Bai airport for our late afternoon departure.

Does anyone know whether there is an alternative military airport perhaps that may be used for VIP aircraft, thus sparing us common folks from undue delays and disruption?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:32 pm

From the research my wife saw we were just going to look for a boat that might take us around for $5-10. In Phi Phi Islands last year we did an entire morning for $20 for both of us. She thought it looked even cheaper in Vietnam. Looks like we might have got it wrong though?
I live in the south not the north, but a few things to add here. First, the type of trip you're trying to arrange is not common for FT'ers, so you're not getting exact answers to some of your questions and your questions reveal a few misunderstandings. In keeping track of the VN forum for a few years now, I can't recall anyone trying to book their own little ride. You might find the lonely planet forum more useful for this type of trip and budget.

The typical trip, just so we're on common understanding here, involves roundtrip transportation from your hotel as crazyinteg mentioned. It's not from a bus terminal, and costs extra if you're outside the normal tourist area. The many boat options are also complicated by triple or quadruple that amount of tour companies selling the tickets to the boats. Your transportation will be on a bus or shuttle bus, and others on the vehicle might be on your boat or might not, but probably booked via the same tour company as you since they are the ones who arrange the transportation. Bus rides are 4 hours each way before the new highway, I'm still not sure if the new highway is used by the buses or if that's just private vehicles that take it. But that cuts it down to like 2 hours or something. I think the OP for the thread commented on this awhile back.

There is definitely a bus to Hai Phong and that area, but finding the schedule might take some time and digging by you. It will have a few stops and take longer. It is unlikely to be as convenient, and I would guess you do have to go into Hanoi for that bus. You might find a stop along the path to Hai Phong which would be hard to reach and require a lot more digging for a bus connection or a (relatively) expensive taxi, as the airport is not on that path. But you still have to go past Hai Phong to get on the boat, so you need a bus or taxi that goes to the departure area for the boats. Overnight tours mostly (all?) depart from Dao Tuan Chau nowadays. I don't know if the day trips depart from there too, though, so you might be able to book a boat from Hai Phong or another location closer to that city. With only one day to accomplish this, and going by public bus, it would be hard to imagine getting to the port in time for a trip on a scheduled boat for a day tour after all that though. Since you want to private hire a boat though, I think Cat Ba island is more what you're looking for. So you would need to get there, but then you would have it easier to find the type of boat you want to hire.

Lastly when I checked before, getting from Ha Long area or Cat Ba to the HPH airport is quite a long bus ride, and doesn't run often. Also the flight options are limited to a few flights a day to most places.

So I believe this is why the posts above suggest doing the normal method for $60 (quoted, not my number) versus trying to make your own way to save $10 or $20. But you can certainly do it your way if you really want to.
Annalisa12 likes this.

Last edited by maverick17; Feb 12, 2019 at 8:38 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
Bad luck in Hanoi

So I had booked our trip to Vietnam long ago and planned to exit from Hanoi on 28 February - and now, Trump and Kim have decided to be in Hanoi just when we are there. Thankfully our hotels were booked long ago (they are sold out now), but I don't care for the inevitable traffic disruptions, all pervasive "security", higher prices charged by local vendors eagerly anticipating the increased footfall and above all the very likely hassles and delays at Noi Bai airport for our late afternoon departure.

Does anyone know whether there is an alternative military airport perhaps that may be used for VIP aircraft, thus sparing us common folks from undue delays and disruption?
Obama used the regular HAN and SGN airports. I believe I remember delays in SGN were a few hours on his day of departure. I don't believe the military airports have facilities for the heavy aircraft, VN mostly operates fighters and small/medium transport planes, from what I can tell, and often share runways with the civilian airports.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by maverick17
Obama used the regular HAN and SGN airports. I believe I remember delays in SGN were a few hours on his day of departure. I don't believe the military airports have facilities for the heavy aircraft, VN mostly operates fighters and small/medium transport planes, from what I can tell, and often share runways with the civilian airports.
Thanks, you have just confirmed my worst fears
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:13 am

thanks again for the feedback on the hotel in town verse getting one near the airport. We’re booked at the Sao Mai Hostel hotel. One customer said 5 min taxi ride for $3 from airport to hotel. Another said only 1KM.

Hotel looks fine. It is walkable, but at $3 (assuming about 70k dong), I would probably take a taxi. Make sure you negotiate with them before getting in the car, you won't need a metered taxi, nor will they even want to use the meter. At midnight, I think you will have some trouble negotiating though. I don't think you will be able to just walk away and have them give you a better price. You could just literally walk to the hotel also. You will probably get some strange looks though.
I would email the hotel and ask them about Halong Bay day trips. See what price they quote you and then compare with a day trip from a tour company based in Hanoi city.

Last edited by CrazyInteg; Feb 13, 2019 at 8:20 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:28 am

Vietnam! Wow! Got in last night. Emailed the hotel prior, and the owner was at the airport waiting for us with a sign. Hotel was pretty basic but for $12/NT would totally stay again.

This morning owners wife said the airport is only place to convert money which we forgot to last night. She recommended we walk which we did and was about a 20 minute walk. Took the local 109 bus from airport to My Dinh bus station for 8,000 dong ($0.35) pp. from there took a larger bus to Bat Chai bus station (at HaLong Bay) for 120,000 dong pp ($5 approx). From there it was 120,000 VND for taxi to the island where all the boats are ( forgot the name). Got some amazing pho bo and a tourist boat captain tried to sell us a package for 800,000 vnd ($33) pp for 4 hours but then he went down to 600,000 ($25) pp. we declined and instead took the local ferry to Cat Bai Island for 80,000 pp each way ($6.70 round trip). We were very content with this. Some may not but I’m the type of person that thinks taking the Staten Island Ferry for free is just as good as the boat you pay $30 to ride around the Statue of Liberty. Now we’re on the way back to Hanoi on bus but have told the driver already to drop us on the side of road near airport instead of going back to My Dinh and we’ll flag down a taxi.

Vietnam has been great for a day and so glad we came here to experience a country like none ever I’ve been to. Most people speak no English at all. One older woman on the city bus kept trying to talk to us and we just shrugged our shoulders and smiled as we speak no Vietnamese and she spoke no English. We’ve had fun but Thailand is more our style.

Thanks KS for all of the advice given

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.