Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Any suggestions for day tour from HCMC to/from Mekong Delta? Any way to avoid 3-4 hours each way by car? Willing to spend a little more.

any other excursions suggestion from HCMC? Have 3.5 days/4 nights family of 4 end of this year ( btw Xmas and NYE). Temple Leaf Spa and leisurely brekkie probably takes up the half day. TIA.
For a family of 4, it's probably better to hire a car for a day (~$50 USD) and do a private tour at your leisure to the Mekong delta. Saigon is a large city, you can easily fill 2.5 days in town. Do the typical tourist stuff such as....river cruise, night time drinks & live music at the Majestic hotel rooftop bar, "OMG" rooftop bar near Ben Thanh market after dinner. Ben Thanh Night Market, Cho Lon district and Thu Thiem (district 2) for lunch at a riverside restaurant.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by KRS
Looking for some advice/suggestions on our trip to Vietnam for the upcoming Christmas/New Year.

We are arriving in SGN late on 22 DEC, and will be staying 1 day/2 nights before flying to Phu Quoc where we have 3 nights. On 27 DEC will fly to Da Nang. Then our flight home is from Hanoi on 2 JAN. We are looking to have at least 2 nights in Hanoi (including New Years Eve).

Question is how to split our time between Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi and whether to visit Halong Bay?

Is it feasible to have 2 nights in Hoi An, transfer by car or motorcycle to Hue for 1 night, fly to Haiphong (from DAD) in the morning for a Halong overnight cruise and transfer to Hanoi the next day? In the case of an overnight cruise, how early can we expect to arrive in Hanoi? Sea plane seems to be out of our budget, but we will opt for private transfer, especially if it can save us some time.

Alternatively if we skip Halong Bay (this is difficult to decide based on feedback/reviews - but we are not really flexible on dates so need to commit before we know the weather forecast) should we extend Hanoi to 3 nights and still stay 3 nights in Hoi An/Hue or add another day there?
If we decide to do both Hue and Hoi An is there one we should do before the other ( considering Hanoi or Halong Bay is the next stop ) ?
I see there are flights from both HUI and DAD to HAN, both only from DAD to HPH.

All and any comments and suggestions are welcome!
The answer to this depends on variables not mentioned: is this a family trip? Couple? Are you looking for beaches or city? Both? I just did a family of 4 over 12 days in September Hanoi-Halong Bay Cruise-Hoi An-Mekong Delta-Saigon and felt like it was a real barnstorming tour rather than a relaxing holiday. Kids really liked the Halong Bay cruise and my wife liked the charm of Hoi-An. Overall opinion was we could have skipped Saigon altogether as it is just a bustling city lacking charm and that the Mekong was interesting but not a huge highlight. If you're looking for beach, then Phu Quoc is probably nice (haven't been there). I found the Hoi An beach to be just so-so but the town to be charming. The Halong cruise depends on which cruse line you do of course.
KRS likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by imm2b
For a family of 4, it's probably better to hire a car for a day (~$50 USD) and do a private tour at your leisure to the Mekong delta. Saigon is a large city, you can easily fill 2.5 days in town. Do the typical tourist stuff such as....river cruise, night time drinks & live music at the Majestic hotel rooftop bar, "OMG" rooftop bar near Ben Thanh market after dinner. Ben Thanh Night Market, Cho Lon district and Thu Thiem (district 2) for lunch at a riverside restaurant.
Thanks - these have provided a good starter list to organize our time there. A friend passed on a private tour guide+car as you suggest as well.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: mileage plus,advantage
Sgn fast track

Flying BKK-SGN in Thai Business in Feb. is there customs fast track?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by siw
I assume picking up a metered Mai Linh or Vinasun taxi from Hanoi airport to the Old Quarter is straight forward. I've used both companies in HCMC but my previous short trip to Hanoi included a pre-booked airport to hotel pick up. This time I'll use a taxi to save a few pennies. Any ball-park estimate on what that would cost?

Thanks
Mai Linh and Vinasun don't operate in Hanoi.

I would suggest an airport car service, it should be around 300K VND. PM me if you need recommendation.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alwin
Flying BKK-SGN in Thai Business in Feb. is there customs fast track?
No fast track. unless it's provided by a concierge service. But SGN is not crowded most of the time, so you'll be out quickly.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:38 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Mai Linh and Vinasun don't operate in Hanoi.

I would suggest an airport car service, it should be around 300K VND. PM me if you need recommendation.
Returned from Hanoi about a week ago. Used ABC taxis outside the airport and cost about 320,000 - 330,000 VND to the Old Quarter hotel. Good taxi I thought and suprised how light the traffic was in the afternoon (flew in on VN610).
LHG likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: SAS EBD, QR Platinumr, HH Gold, Intercont Platinum Ambassador,CC Gold
Hi, I just bought one of the silly-airfares from Hanoi to JFK.
I have not yet landed my entry / positioning flight to HAN, but thinking of arriving on QR-Qatar at 07:00 with direct transfer to CX flight to HKG.
Do I need to pass customs // immigrations ?

Regards
Fox
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:49 am

GF and I are looking to visit mid August 2019 for a 5-6N then head to BKK. I was initially thinking of flying into HAN since it's close to Halong but she wants to visit family l in Hue. I didn't realize how far Hue was from Hanoi or Halong lol. Is it possible/worth it to visit Hue and Halong in one trip? We are outdoorsy-walk-around-nature type, so halong cruises would be low interest compared to local hikes in the area. Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: PAL million miler (1.6 M ), AA Platinum ( almost 1 M)
Hello guys, I am holding a Filipino passport and an American Passport, I recently purchased a cathay pacific first class error fare ticket HAN-SFO-HAN.
I am not planning to stay in Vietnam, I just want to have a connecting flight MNL- HAN then proceed with my ticket HAN-SFO-HAN then HAN - MNL
My question is, since I have a dual passport, Do I need to have a visa since I will be only staying inside the airport? and since I am not planning to go out of the airport I could have just show my US passport since i am connecting hanoi to sfo, am i right? just need some clarification. Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fishfly
GF and I are looking to visit mid August 2019 for a 5-6N then head to BKK. I was initially thinking of flying into HAN since it's close to Halong but she wants to visit family l in Hue. I didn't realize how far Hue was from Hanoi or Halong lol. Is it possible/worth it to visit Hue and Halong in one trip? We are outdoorsy-walk-around-nature type, so halong cruises would be low interest compared to local hikes in the area. Thanks!
New (Ha Long) Quang Ninh's Van Don airport just opened a few days ago. I haven't looked at prices to/from Van Don.

Near Ha Long, Yen Tu mountain is a great for hiking.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JNLentertainment
Hello guys, I am holding a Filipino passport and an American Passport, I recently purchased a cathay pacific first class error fare ticket HAN-SFO-HAN.
I am not planning to stay in Vietnam, I just want to have a connecting flight MNL- HAN then proceed with my ticket HAN-SFO-HAN then HAN - MNL
My question is, since I have a dual passport, Do I need to have a visa since I will be only staying inside the airport? and since I am not planning to go out of the airport I could have just show my US passport since i am connecting hanoi to sfo, am i right? just need some clarification. Thanks
For those who got in on the CX fare and you haven't been to VN, I'd highly recommend staying at least a couple nights. It's well worth your while to check out the place, at least eat a bowl of authentic Pho

I don't think Hanoi has transit without Visa. You'll have to enter VN, then re-check in for your CX flight. I could be wrong.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:35 am

New (Ha Long) Quang Ninh's Van Don airport just opened a few days ago. I haven't looked at prices to/from Van Don.
100% agreed. Look into Van Don airport. Hopefully it will also offer flights to BKK.
oh_lol likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:48 pm

Near Ha Long, Yen Tu mountain is a great for hiking.
Just did a quick check on Google Flights... going to pass on flying to/from Van Don lol. Looks like the best/cheapest would be to back track to HAN, fly to HUI, train to DAD, then to BKK.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: mileage plus,advantage
Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.