Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by invisible
Weeeel, you might choose not to go.
On more serious note - unless you are staying in a tent or in the middle of nowhere, you won't have that problem. All hotels/home stays I've been - I am NOT staying at western chain hotels - had western type toilets. The same applies about toilets in restaurants/cafes.
More western than Italy in fact.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: Delta PM
Best advice I've seen about riding a motorbike in Vietnam

Originally Posted by maverick17
I echo the above, there is real risk of bad accidents or death if you drive in Vietnam.

That link is not so great, but they are correct Ninh Binh is a very nice area to rent and ride a motorbike. Lots of small roads and trails through the hills and countryside and rice fields. The Me Kong delta is also a nice place to ride. Da Lat and the mountains, and coastal areas around Phan Thiet/Mui Ne up through Da Nang are nice to ride, but a quite a bit more dangerous as the trucks plying the routes are careless about crossing the center line and overspeed quite often. If you can afford to go to a nicer place, you can get an off-road bike and go some really beautiful places around Da Lat and stay away from the main highway. Phu Quoc is nice, I rode for a week there and enjoyed it. But there are some reports that police are frequently out and pulling over tourists there. Maps.me is a good app for driving, as you can see offline and the road size/type is more easily distinguishable than google maps. As an aside, the Angkor Wat area is also an excellent area to ride.

Here are my motorbike rules for tourists (a bit long, might make a wiki and put there in the future):
1. Be aware you will always be liable. An int'l driver's license is not enough here, you will still be liable in public opinion and in courts if you are involved in any accident.
2. There are traffic rules. Just because you don't understand them, does not mean they do not exist and that you can do anything you want.
3. The general rule is whoever is in front has the right of way.
4. Non-cars and motorbikes have some additional peculiarities. Trucks do what they want, buses also are likely to do as they please and have angry drivers sometimes, but will cede to trucks usually. Bicycles go slower and often are used by kids and children, and you're generally expected to go around them. They will not always look behind for traffic before turning or merging etc.
5. Motorbikes are required to stay on the right side, either in the right lane on multi-lane streets in the city, or on the edge of the road/highway on one-lane roads. Sometimes there will be a small two-meter-ish lane on the right for motorbikes.
6. Blinkers are required, even if the road turns and you are forced to turn as opposed to choosing to turn.
7. Flashing headlights or honking means that people want the right-of-way. Legally speaking, remember number 1 , you will be liable even if you had the right of way. Practically speaking, you do not have to allow them to go first. But if you do not it sometimes becomes a game of chicken at that point. A motorbike coming from behind you is not much of a threat in chicken. A dump-truck in front of you wanting to turn across your lane is a obviously a different matter.
8. The police are kind enough to let you pay your fine on-the-spot. Usual fines for foreigners are 200k, but if you have a bunch of 500's in your wallet you might be expected to give one or two of those. The old "I don't speak Vietnamese" is much much less likely to suffice nowadays, as many police speak English and are willing to use gestures.
9. Do not carry a nice camera around your neck while driving, or leave your bag just sitting on the motorbike between your legs. Motorbike thieves in the city will grab them, even at risk to tipping you over and causing an accident. Use something with a strap over your neck or shoulders for a bag. For cameras and phones keep them in the motorbike or in the bag and not visible.

Some discussion then on the above:

Re: 1 - The public believes any accident with a foreigner involved is the fault of the foreigner. You will get yelled at. And if serious the police will also hold you liable because unless you get a license here you are not legal to drive. The last fatal accident I recall the foreigner was long term here, and had to pay a fine of 30 or 40 thousand dollars and got deported, but did avoid jail time if I recall, which angered the public. Future cases might not be able to avoid jail time due to the outcry. If it's a small accident, there will be some theatrics and yelling or arguing, then they will propose a number you need to pay. It will probably not be extortion high, but will probably be a little higher than they need to fix the motorbike.

Re: 3 - If you're behind, then you have to be prepared to swerve and go around people. Being in front with the right of way, you can stop in the road, cross to turn left from the far right of 8-wide motorbike lanes full of traffic, turn for u-turns, etc. Vietnamese do not use the brakes as much, they swerve, so you need to be not "tailgaiting" and give some space, and be aware the person in front of you might swerve around someone stopped in the road in front of you and then you will have to swerve or run into them, or if you are back further you can brake. If you constant brake a lot, you run the risk of being hit from behind as people do not expect it.

Also, people will enter the road without looking because if they get in front of you, then you have to go around them. So if you're driving, do not drive on the far right of the road, as people approaching from your right side will not slow down or yield when turning, even on a red light. You are better off leaving some space to your right side for any motorbikes entering the road. The sweet spot is generally the middle of the right lane, so people speeding by on the left have room and people entering the road from the right without yielding have room.

About renting a motorbike: They call scooters motorbikes here when using English. Motorcyles are above 250cc. Some newer highways allow motorcycles but not motorbikes. Most you will see are 110cc to 135cc. Rental motorbikes are often lower quality. You have to leave an ID, usually a passport, and there is no contract as that link says unless you are at a more professional place that will rent motorcycles, or you're renting long term. For this reason it is often more comfortable for foreigners to rent from their hotels, as they have a copy of your passport already. I've left my passport without incident multiple times. Friends have said they don't have their passports and been able to leave their driver's license, but usually that option is just for locals. 150k to 200k for 24 hours is usually correct. You should ask where the closest gas station is, as it will often be nearly empty when you pick it up. 50-70k will usually fill the tank of a motorbike. Helmets are required for drivers and pillion riders. Be sure they fit before you leave, especially if you have a big noggin. Many are small. They are not good quality either, and are more for style and to not get pulled over than for safety. Thankfully safer full helmets are becoming more and more common here, but you will not find them for free with rentals. You can buy a cheapish full helmet for 30-45 dollars if you want, or some places do sell very nice helmets.
Thanks Maverick

I've been in HCMC now for a year and a half.. At first I was really intimidated about driving a motorbike, even though I've had a motorcycle and licence f(USA) or more than 20 years. Once I figured out the system, as described so well above, it's pretty simple: DON'T HIT ANYTHING YOU CAN SEE. Doesn't get more simple than that. And it works. I've only seen minor knockdowns during this time. Yes, you may be limping a while, but nothing that would require major medical care. A large part of that is that at least in the HCMC speeds are relatively low. If I get up to 40 mph I feel like I am flying and I'll be passing everyone else. In heavier traffic, speeds are 5 to 10 mph.

Keeping out of the far right side of the lane is also great advice. I admit I've been surprised a few too many times when looking up to see a bike coming towards me against traffic.

And be prepared for anyone to just stop wherever they are to answer a cell phone. Even if they block most of an already small lane.
But with all that, I have never seen any road rage, no matter what stupid thing somebody does, they just go around it without a bad look or word.

Also,it helps to think of schools of fish. if you are in the middle of the school, less likely to get picked off. If I have to cross a big street, I'll wait for other's to come and go out brazenly and I'll follow close behind.

The roads between large cities, like the QL numbered roads are where the real carnage takes place, with drivers of large vehicles falling asleep taking everyone in it's path.

Lastly, it can't be emphasized enough. Everyone you see or in front of you has the right of way. Don't hit them.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:01 pm

imm2B thanks for The T'Art recommendation. I will look it up.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Could I check the visa arrangements for UK citizens? Is it right that the 15 days begins on the day your flight lands in Vietnam and you enter the country, not the day it might have left its origin? We take off on 19 Dec, land 20 Dec and depart 3 Jan. That’s 15 days if it is from when you land but 16 days if it is from when you depart.

It seems I don’t need a visa but does anyone know for sure?

TFC
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:35 am

We are thinking of taking a side trip from BKK to Danang sometime after mid Oct. . I myself have never been to Vietnam before.

4-5 nites I'm assuming is enough?

I'm looking at maybe using my Marriot points. Is the 4 points Sheraton in Danang in a good location? ie walking distances to cheap eats, markets, etc. What other location or accommodation in Danang would you consider. Don't need any fancy accommodation.

And what legit websites do you Canadians apply for our e-visa?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by TravelTigster
I will be in Vietnam next month and I really would like to bring back Plumeria (Frangipani) cuttings to grow in my yard. You can buy them in Hawaii at local stores already certified for transport, do they sell any that you know of in Vietnam? I have already contacted both dept. of Ag here in the states and an office in Hanoi but no response. Thanks for any input you might have on this.
Sorry Tigster, missed this one before. I don't know anything about the regs for Plumeria. It seems no one here does. You might - if not too late to be useful for you - find a few online flower shops here and email them to ask. I don't know if they would know either, but it's maybe the only option I can think of outside of emailing a freightbroker or something and looking for regs with them. English should be ok. There was actually a thread about flowers here awhile back you might look in for some ideas. Good luck.

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Could I check the visa arrangements for UK citizens? Is it right that the 15 days begins on the day your flight lands in Vietnam and you enter the country, not the day it might have left its origin? We take off on 19 Dec, land 20 Dec and depart 3 Jan. That’s 15 days if it is from when you land but 16 days if it is from when you depart.

It is from when you enter the country. They will write the date you have to exit on the stamp. Worst case scenario is you will see it written in your passport and will have 15 days to figure out how to fix it. If it makes you nervous, you can still get other types of visas before coming here, such as one with 30 days entry. It is relatively cheap to do so.
Originally Posted by seks
We are thinking of taking a side trip from BKK to Danang sometime after mid Oct. . I myself have never been to Vietnam before.

4-5 nites I'm assuming is enough?

I'm looking at maybe using my Marriot points. Is the 4 points Sheraton in Danang in a good location? ie walking distances to cheap eats, markets, etc. What other location or accommodation in Danang would you consider. Don't need any fancy accommodation.

And what legit websites do you Canadians apply for our e-visa?
4-5 nights is enough for Da Nang. There was discussion about 10 or 15 posts ago maybe about Da Nang, Hoi An, and Hue and things to do you could read. For a first time visitor, the food might also be entertaining and you can add a food tour or just make your way around to shops. I haven't been to the 4points, it's pretty new if I recall, but the location on the map looks pretty good, definitely closer to town and markets etc than the resorts like the IC and the Hyatt. You still might want to grab/taxi sometimes rather than walk to get around, but you will be close to everything I think. I'm not sure about what sites to use for e-visa myself, but the big thread on "VOA in Vietnam" has some discussion on getting e-visas.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:47 am

People on Reddit are freaking out saying that Grab is changing on Oct 1 to only allow cash payments to drivers. (Unless you have a Vietnamese bank account and download a payment app that you link your Vietnamese bank account to). So it sounds like Grab will be cash only for tourists.

As a foreign tourist, should I bother with Grab or just use taxis? I plan to pay with cash anyways.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I echo the above, there is real risk of bad accidents or death if you drive in Vietnam.
Ditto. No need to take the risk. And the risk of "less-serious" accidents (broken bones, lacerations, bruises) is incredibly high. Literally everyone I know has gotten hurt at some point or other.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
People on Reddit are freaking out saying that Grab is changing on Oct 1 to only allow cash payments to drivers. (Unless you have a Vietnamese bank account and download a payment app that you link your Vietnamese bank account to). So it sounds like Grab will be cash only for tourists.

As a foreign tourist, should I bother with Grab or just use taxis? I plan to pay with cash anyways.
The best part about Grab in Vietnam is the fact that the price is set in advance . The cab drivers we used without grab were constantly trying to rip us off - they seem to have meters that run 2x+ the actual fare so even with cash it's worth it to not get ripped off.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Ditto. No need to take the risk. And the risk of "less-serious" accidents (broken bones, lacerations, bruises) is incredibly high. Literally everyone I know has gotten hurt at some point or other.
My view about driving in Vietnam is that it's like flying a plane VFR in uncontrolled airspace . The main rule is "see and avoid". Traffic lights, right of way in roundabouts - all optional, especially if the other vehicle is larger than you are - they will take advantage of that fact.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
The best part about Grab in Vietnam is the fact that the price is set in advance . The cab drivers we used without grab were constantly trying to rip us off - they seem to have meters that run 2x+ the actual fare so even with cash it's worth it to not get ripped off.
Best example of this - just arrived to Saigon from CanTho on the FutaBus (best bus trip ever - beds and wifi for 115000) and all the cab drivers wanted 200+ but we got a very nice 7pax Grab for 115 .
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:48 am

Best example of this - just arrived to Saigon from CanTho on the FutaBus (best bus trip ever - beds and wifi for 115000) and all the cab drivers wanted 200+ but we got a very nice 7pax Grab for 115 .
That is not a rip off. They have different pricing. Grab will almost always be cheaper, unless during surge pricing, as they subsidize their drivers. I've been here for almost 5 years and had only 1 bad taxi, and none from the main companies. VinaSun and MaiLinh are fine to take.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:13 am

That is not a rip off. They have different pricing. Grab will almost always be cheaper, unless during surge pricing, as they subsidize their drivers. I've been here for almost 5 years and had only 1 bad taxi, and none from the main companies. VinaSun and MaiLinh are fine to take.
When we were in Hanoi the metered fare from our hotel to the center was 70k and the same on grab . The taxis that would try to bring us back from the center would try to charge as much as 180k and I'd have to argue them down but Grab was 70
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:13 am

When we were in Hanoi the metered fare from our hotel to the center was 70k and the same on grab . The taxis that would try to bring us back from the center would try to charge as much as 180k and I'd have to argue them down but Grab was 70
The one bad taxi I had was in Hanoi also. I do not find the discrepancy in the taxis you mentioned in SGN a big difference. As I said, Grab is often cheaper than taxis by 30-50k at least. It's well documented Vina Sun and Mai Linh are ok. I also use Grab though if I don't need to hurry.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BonvoyLTT, UAS, SW A-list
I am coming to Hanoi for a meeting and will have a weekend available to explore the city. My hotel choices are between the JW and the Sheraton. Which one is more suitable as a starting point for looking around, especially if I want to walk mostly. Thank you in advance for the advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.