Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Ask us about Vietnam

Ask us about Vietnam

Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:19 am

I'm glad it all worked out for you.
Did you take a cruise around the the bay or just the ferry to the island?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by lovefly88
We were very content with this.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Just for anyone browsing in the future, I add up 88's costs and, assuming the bus back was similar and a basic taxi ride, put the cost at just over 1 million vnd for 2 people. So that's the price to beat if you're comparing tours with a dyi day-trip to Cat Ba island.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I'm glad it all worked out for you.
Did you take a cruise around the the bay or just the ferry to the island?

We took the ferry there and straight back.

@maverick17. Your price is about right. Again we had a good time but glad to be flying out tomorrow. I didnt understand how the bus can take 4-5 hours to go 84 miles but between picking passengers up, picking packages up, stopping for a break, the constant slamming on brakes, and honking a horn that sounds like an 18 wheeler, and driving on the other side of the yellow and swerving just in time, I think its a one and done experience for us. Glad to say weve been here though.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:57 pm

Does someone have a transfer company to recommend (reliable and cheap) for airport transfers in Hanoi? Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by puchong
Does someone have a transfer company to recommend (reliable and cheap) for airport transfers in Hanoi? Thanks
I used and plan to use again VIetnam Awesome Travel.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
e-visa hassles from US airlines?

Flying AA from LAX, connecting in NRT to JAL destined for HAN. Has anyone heard horror stories about the AA counter folks or gate agents not recognizing the print-out from an eVisa application for a US citizen, and instead insisting on seeing something intended for affixing to the passport? I'm not sure how long eVisa has been in widespread use, and wondering if I should expect some delay at the counter.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
Flying AA from LAX, connecting in NRT to JAL destined for HAN. Has anyone heard horror stories about the AA counter folks or gate agents not recognizing the print-out from an eVisa application for a US citizen, and instead insisting on seeing something intended for affixing to the passport? I'm not sure how long eVisa has been in widespread use, and wondering if I should expect some delay at the counter.
At major airports with lots of traffic to VN I wouldn't think they'll bat an eye. I had a delay once with VOA in Sapporo with BR. Outports like that with little use for the visas might have a small delay. As always ymmv, but major airports should normally experience no problem nowadays.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
I recently flew this route. I was never asked to show any documentation until I arrived at Hanoi immigration. The "print-out" that you mention will be the actual visa. You should print out your evisa before your trip. You will need it when you arrive in Hanoi.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:35 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Does HAN airport allow overnight luggage check through to destination? I will have visa in any case but want to manage expectation

I have JL NRT-HAN arriving 10pm then CX HAN-HKG next day, on separate tickets. If I manage to get the JL agent to check luggage through on CX and print boarding pass, I'm assuming I just need to go to the transfer security without paging CX agent after arrival right (is there hours of operation at HAN for the transfer desk?)

If I can't get the boarding pass of CX flight at NRT, will it be ok to still check luggage thru and pass immigration and stay at airport until CX desk opens and check-in regularly?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by maverick17
At major airports with lots of traffic to VN I wouldn't think they'll bat an eye. I had a delay once with VOA in Sapporo with BR. Outports like that with little use for the visas might have a small delay. As always ymmv, but major airports should normally experience no problem nowadays.
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I recently flew this route. I was never asked to show any documentation until I arrived at Hanoi immigration. The "print-out" that you mention will be the actual visa. You should print out your evisa before your trip. You will need it when you arrive in Hanoi.
Sounds like good news! Thanks for the insights.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
I've approx 3 to 4 hours of layover on my flight to Japan @ Hanoi airport.
How is the airport? Any airport restaurants I should check out? Good Pho restaurant?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:08 pm

Da Nang airport transfers - does any know the 'right' price for a taxi from Da Nang airport to the Four Points in Da Nang?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:14 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Da Nang airport transfers - does any know the 'right' price for a taxi from Da Nang airport to the Four Points in Da Nang?
I took a metered taxi from DAD to the My An area a couple days ago. It cost 78,000 dong ($3.36).
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Hello Experts ..Looking some advice/suggestions ...I am traveling first time to Hanoi from HKG (doing a weekend trip to Hanoi) and I have don't many hours between flight back. I arrive at 9:30 am Sat and leave Sunday night around 8:00 pm. I have following questions

1) Where is the best place to stay if I need to cover the tourist spot. I am Hilton guy and wanted to use the points for Stay but open to other suggestions

2) What is best way get Airport to Hotel (presently having booking at Hilton Garden Inn Hanoi around 40 min away from airport)? Is airport taxi safe and reliable ? or should I book Expedia airport pickup/return package ?

3) What can I cover on Sat after lunch and evening?

4) What is best preferred way? Bus ride or do we have train ? should I stay Sat night in Hai Phong or Cat Ba or Ha Long bay area and try to catch morning tour and start back around 3 pm to Airport or its too risky and just back in Hanio city and do Hanio tour?

5) What are other City Tour options for Sunday until 5 pm.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:24 pm

I travelled recently and the young lady at the airport tourist office insisted it was about US$10-11 (approx. VND 250,000+

Outside at the taxi rank, I was quoted VND 150,000 - which was later reduced to VND 120,000

Got a Grab (at around 5 PM) and was ​​​​​​quoted VND 100,000 - driver demanded another VND 10,000 for the airport pickup.

I hope this information (along with kokonutz's very helpful response upthread) will be of some use to others.
kokonutz likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.