Maldives: Best Airlines, Best use of Miles, from CA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex

Hi,

Looking at a Maldives trip next year, starting from Bay Area (SFO or OAK).
Wondering what are the best airlines for comfort, safety, on-time, etc, but also which are the best for using miles. And which to avoid at any cost.
I have Amex points, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi points, plus British Airways and lots of domestic airlines miles (Hawaiian, Delta, American, Alaska, Southwest, etc). I'm sure there must be some partner airlines I can use my domestic miles on, otherwise, I have plenty of Amex & Chase points, and some Citi.
This would be my first Int'l flight since before 9/11, and that was just Canada.
Seems a lot of airlines want me to fly east, but that flying west would make more sense, no? I see Singapore has direct flights from SFO to Singapore, and then onto MLE. Or am I better off taking advantage of BA's stopover policy, and spending a couple of days in London? (Not really on the bucket list, but what the heck). Then again, I hate BA's web site.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:37 am

It's a bit easier to judge points and airlines if you tell us if you're planning/hoping to fly First Class (F), Business (J), or Economy (Y). Also, forgive the digression, but if you've not flown Int'l longhaul before, I would add two things that maybe you will already know but maybe not. 1 - you should note that many airlines (Singapore, Cathay, Korean) have a "Regional" version of the business product, which is a bit inferior, and you would potentially be getting that on the leg to MLE. So keep that in mind and check before you book to see what you're getting. 2 - Different aircraft, i.e. 777 vs 787, will have different versions of the seats, and might affect your choice. This is of course true in coach in the US too, but can be a bit more noticeable if you're flying J on a 6 hour flight expecting a full bed and it's a recliner.

All of that being said, you have a number of one-stop options. Singapore, Hong Kong, Seoul, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Istanbul, and Dubai. I might be wrong but I think Etihad stopped SFO flights for now, and Paris to MLE is seasonal it says so Air France could be an option maybe. I'd take a look at all those airlines and see what looks good to you. I'd skip China as a transit point, as they are prone to delays often. Otherwise I think any is fine. My personal preference is Cathay, but YMMV and others will certainly have their favorites. I really enjoy Korean and Turkish as well. If stuck in economy I do like Singapore and Korean.

Since you're open to a stopover and a 2(+)-stop itinerary though, you're really open to just about anything from SFO. Cathay is still my favorite, but in that case someone like JAL or ANA might be interesting for the first leg as well.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ramonmv
......but also which are the best for using miles. And which to avoid at any cost.
<snip>
Or am I better off taking advantage of BA's stopover policy, and spending a couple of days in London? (Not really on the bucket list, but what the heck). Then again, I hate BA's web site..
The best will be the airline ffp that has award availability.
If wanting a premium cabin that will be a lot harder

What "BA stopover policy"? Awards with BA avios are segment by segment. They do not offer awards with stopovers.
From most UK airports the APD applies for departures, but not arrivals or transits. For business/first class this cost is noticeable

I think you need to do a lot more research on awards California to the Maldives (the question has been asked before)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velana...tional_Airport

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MLE-SFO&MS=wls&DU=mi
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Well, when you're looking to book with Avios, there's a page that you get to that asks if you want to do a stopover or not.
If the question has been asked before, a link to that would have been more helpful than a Wikipedia link and a map link, but thanks anyway, I think.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:47 am

I don't know whats the best but I'll tell you how I did it. I raided each signup bonus I could, UR, TYP, MR points. I think about 450,000 mixed. I did first class the way there on SQ to Singapore from SFO. I booked a year in advance and aimed for the dry season for the Maldives which is FEB/MAR. I did a 2 night layover in Singapore and it was amazing. My favorite Asian country so far. Its clean, easy to get around and they speak english. I stayed at the Marina Bay Sands. For the hotel in the Maldives I chose to pay cash at an all inclusive resort. Saved about $1000 because of my Citi prestige card. Back then, Citi would also cover taxes for hotel stays, thats like $150-300 per night right there. On the way home, I couldn't find availability back to SFO so I took to LAX in business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.