Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

5 nights in Bali

5 nights in Bali

Old May 2, 2018, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
5 nights in Bali

I'm going to heading to Bali in a few weeks for a friend's wedding - very excited to make my first trip here after hearing so many things about it! We will be staying at the Grand Hyatt in Nusa Dua, and while we don't really need anything much planned out for the last couple days we are in town (that's when the wedding is), I wanted to know if folks had recommendations for the 3+ days we have where we are looking to fill our time before then. Really open to any suggestions (particularly when it comes to food - my sense is it may be best to hotel-hop for dining options), although despite my other posts in other Destination forums, we won't be looking at doing much / any hiking this time around We also are not divers and are not interested in doing anything beyond relatively elementary snorkeling when it comes to exploring the greater underwater.

As a corollary for a first-time traveler - would one expect the Sunday afternoon departure bank to be busy in terms of checking in / clearing immigration, and are there any lounges for someone flying TG J (or having Priority Pass) to use at DPS?
Old May 3, 2018, 3:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Do what we did last week. Hire a car with the driver. We had 3 days in Bali and on one of those days we had the tour planned. It was amazing. I'm hooked on Bali now The tour for 2 people was $60 for entire day (everything included besides tickets to temples, which were cheap anyway). Not hiking and not snorkeling
Why would you do hotel hoping for food? There is so many restaurants around. Just search the area on google maps around your hotel and you will see what you have there.

Airport - Just ignore hundreds of taxi drivers at the arrival area of the airport. That's the only negative thing about Bali. Arrange your car before hand.
As for departure, You can't be there more than 3 hours ahead of time. They open the ticket counters only before the flight. Then security bag screen, immigration (fast track for you) and security search. All that didn't take more than 20 minutes (also using fast track).
The lounge situation is so so. Forgot the name of the lounge but there are 2 right next to another. Priority Pass lounge and the lounge which most of the airlines uses(we used this one). There is no air con in the lounge. They have couple of portable wind blowers.
We just had cold beverages, as the food options (looked good) had few 'visitors' walking between the plates. Spend few minutes in the lounge and decide for yourself if you want to stay there. Next time I will go to the restaurants downstairs by the gate area.

Enjoy Bali
Old May 3, 2018, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Make sure you leave plenty of time to get through the lines at the airport as the queues are always massive.

In Nusa Dua you are out of the way a little and there isn't that much to do locally in regards to food. Yes there are places such as Bali Collection but there are not tons like in Seminyak.

I'm going to Bali soon and have 4 days in Nusa Dua to just sit at the pool and read. I'm then going to Seminyak so we can eat lots!

Sorry, not sure about airport lounges. We are in the Garuda J lounge which is quite nice. The location is great overlooking the airport but the lounge is not 5 star.

Have fun.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: most of them
I seem to recall some places to eat just outside the resort area in Nusa Dua. On the couple of days I stayed there I just walked toward the main road and came across several small cafes, souvenir shops, etc. It was not a far walk from the place I was staying and a nice break from the big, anonymous hotels.
Old May 5, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Hullo PsiFighter37

If I get this correctly - you're booked all 5 nights in the Grand Hyatt Nusa Dua, correct? And its just the first 3 days you will head out?

As others have said - don't hotel hop for food. There is wayyyy too much good local Indonesian food around Bali to try (and places that will offer a nice respite from the clinical resort type dining options)

Non divers, and want to explore? Why not book a day trip with private driver up to Ubud, or the East Coast places north of Denpasar, up to Candidasa
Ubud will show you a different side of Bali, especially if you can lunch in a nice chilled local place overlooking on of the local padi fields

Maybe an afternoon walk around one day in Kuta (if anything to get the mass tourist yearning out of the system, usually good to do on your first trip to Bali)
Anyway - get out of the Hyatt on your first few days if you can and go for a wander.
Figure for the wedding days you'll experience enough of the resort
Old May 8, 2018, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by seavisionburma
Why not book a day trip with private driver up to Ubud, or the East Coast places north of Denpasar, up to Candidasa
Ubud will show you a different side of Bali, especially if you can lunch in a nice chilled local place overlooking on of the local padi fields

Maybe an afternoon walk around one day in Kuta (if anything to get the mass tourist yearning out of the system, usually good to do on your first trip to Bali)
Anyway - get out of the Hyatt on your first few days if you can and go for a wander.
Bali is a really great cultural destination that also has beaches and scenery, and I'm a big fan of Ubud. It's cheap, not as clogged by hawkers, and you can see a kecak dance or a show with a gamelan orchestra just about any night. There are also temple festivals and places like Besakih (where a lot of tours go). I liked walking the black sand beach around Candi Dasa. The whole island is rich in possibilities even though it takes a bit of effort to get out and see.
seavisionburma likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:46 am
Suspended

Bali is love. The most beautiful dream place.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:02 am

Bali is truly a great place to travel. It's so beautiful and unforgettable. I hope you will have a good time there and make your vacation a memorable one.
Old May 11, 2018, 4:54 pm

Hullo PsiFighter37

If I get this correctly - you're booked all 5 nights in the Grand Hyatt Nusa Dua, correct? And its just the first 3 days you will head out?

As others have said - don't hotel hop for food. There is wayyyy too much good local Indonesian food around Bali to try (and places that will offer a nice respite from the clinical resort type dining options)

Non divers, and want to explore? Why not book a day trip with private driver up to Ubud, or the East Coast places north of Denpasar, up to Candidasa

I agree with nearly all of this. Kuta is worth skipping though IMO . Hire a driver to take you around for a day or two. The sites of Bali are kinda spread out and it sounds like you have plenty of time to just chill out at the Hyatt.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by tinatimes
Bali is love. The most beautiful dream place.
I'm embarrassed to tell people I am holidaying in Bali. I feel like a bogan when I am the opposite!
Old May 14, 2018, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Thanks for all the tips so far! I definitely need to do a lot of research this week. With regards to getting a driver - is that something the concierge at the hotel can help with, or are there particular local services hat one can book direct with that folks here recommend?
Old May 15, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Thanks for all the tips so far! I definitely need to do a lot of research this week. With regards to getting a driver - is that something the concierge at the hotel can help with, or are there particular local services hat one can book direct with that folks here recommend?
Concierge at the hotel will definitely be able to help - but keep in mind the cost will be significantly more expensive. The plus side though is that you have security and recourse for booking through the hotel.
The alternative is to do a search of forums/TA/expat groups and look for recommendations of local drivers with good cars and good English, or make a post asking for recommendations

Using the local Grab booking app for local trips can help too - if you find a driver you like, ask if they will do a longer booking privately.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by RustyC
Bali is a really great cultural destination that also has beaches and scenery, and I'm a big fan of Ubud. It's cheap, not as clogged by hawkers, and you can see a kecak dance or a show with a gamelan orchestra just about any night. There are also temple festivals and places like Besakih (where a lot of tours go). I liked walking the black sand beach around Candi Dasa. The whole island is rich in possibilities even though it takes a bit of effort to get out and see.
+1 on Candidasa. Love the black volcanic sand beaches there. Lovely spot. There is a place up on top of a cliff around 15-20 minutes ride from Candidasa with stunning views, and down on the little beach below there is a great bunch of seafood restaurants on the top of the beach
Old May 15, 2018, 11:11 am

Concierge at the hotel will definitely be able to help - but keep in mind the cost will be significantly more expensive. The plus side though is that you have security and recourse for booking through the hotel.
The alternative is to do a search of forums/TA/expat groups and look for recommendations of local drivers with good cars and good English, or make a post asking for recommendations

Using the local Grab booking app for local trips can help too - if you find a driver you like, ask if they will do a longer booking privately.
Yep. I was going to recommend searching TripAdvisor for any recommendations. The Hyatt can certainly assist, but you'll also be paying the Hyatt price for the driver.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

For the day tours arrange your trips ahead of time (there is a topic in this forum few subjects below about drivers in Bali). For hotel to hotel or hotel airport transfers I went directly with the hotels. From HGI by the airport to Conrad, my ride requested an hour before was $20. My Conrad to airport transfer arranged with the hotel was $22.
That's about twice for what I would pay if I went in a taxi. However, the hotel cars were clean and the drivers were safe. I knew the price up front, paid with credit card at the front desk and I knew that the driver won't take me for a ride like they did few days later in Singapore
Tokyoite likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.