Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grab to take over Uber's operations in SE Asia - announcement

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Anyway, back on topic. Currently in KL and trying to get a Grab driver to accept a ride request is no easy task. Since the Grab driver sees your destination upon request (unlike Uber), it sure seems that the drivers here aren't willing to pick up fares for anything lower than a certain price level. I've resorted to choosing the "premium" car a couple of times just to get a ride - the price of that car is comparable to the "premium" blue taxi fares, so not really saving any money by using a ride sharing service as a result.
I've been living in Kuala Lumpur for the past 6 months, and I've never had that problem with Grab. I often take short rides (less than 2 km) costing under RM 5 and a driver always accepts. They get bonuses awarded, for example by taking 100 rides in 1 week, and short rides are actually attractive to most drivers.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by seattle29
I've been living in Kuala Lumpur for the past 6 months, and I've never had that problem with Grab. I often take short rides (less than 2 km) costing under RM 5 and a driver always accepts. They get bonuses awarded, for example by taking 100 rides in 1 week, and short rides are actually attractive to most drivers.
Just bad luck for me then, perhaps. It may have had something to do with the time of day I was trying to order Grab - typically around 5:00 pm when traffic is at its worst. I can see where someone might not want to spend 30 mins driving less than 5 kms to earn 6 ringgit.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:15 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
the price of that car is comparable to the "premium" blue taxi fares, so not really saving any money by using a ride sharing service as a result.
This may be because these are not ride sharing services unless you are using the ‘hitch’ or ‘pool’ options. These drivers aren’t sharing their ride with you, they are simply on-demand transportation providers or some such. In some countries the cars must be rented by the driver in the same way as hacks rent taxis, just that the drivers are renting from someone other than Uber or Grab.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by yosithezet

This may be because these are not ride sharing services unless you are using the ‘hitch’ or ‘pool’ options. These drivers aren’t sharing their ride with you, they are simply on-demand transportation providers or some such. In some countries the cars must be rented by the driver in the same way as hacks rent taxis, just that the drivers are renting from someone other than Uber or Grab.
Uh, no. Uber, Grab, Lyft, Sidecar, etc. are known colloquially as "ride sharing services"; hence, my use of the term. They have been referred to that since nearly their inception, well prior to the "pool" or "hitch" iterations of their services.

https://gridwise.io/rideshare/top-6-rideshare-services/
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
So which all are the S.E. Asian countries Uber has pulled out of ? I know they're still there in Singapore, but out of KL & Bangkok.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by quarryking
So which all are the S.E. Asian countries Uber has pulled out of ? I know they're still there in Singapore, but out of KL & Bangkok.
They're out of Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia and Vietnam for sure.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Indonesia as well.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by invisible

Indonesia as well.
This sucks, really
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
This sucks, really
Why?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Why?
Grab has practicallly no customer service and many of their drivers are simply cowboys making up their own rules. And a sizable chunk of their drivers, mainly in Cambodia, demand money and don't understand grabpay or credit card. Completely unorganized, poor training, poor CS, drivers are not held accountable for major screwups.

I had a driver accept my ride and stated time was 1 minute away, he was two blocks away. Five minutes later the car hadn't moved. I called, he said 5 more minutes so I walked over, the guy was having lunch. What's the penalty for him? nothing. I had another guy recently, messages his plate number because it's different than that stated on the app. Yeah, different car to so I told him to cancel and he got upset. Uber took this kind of garbage very seriously. Grab? "we banned him and reeducated after." What does that even mean?

Additionally, discounts are issued when they enter a market and thereafter only to 'new' users; prices increase otherwise.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:23 pm

Grab has practicallly no customer service and many of their drivers are simply cowboys making up their own rules. And a sizable chunk of their drivers, mainly in Cambodia, demand money and don't understand grabpay or credit card. Completely unorganized, poor training, poor CS, drivers are not held accountable for major screwups.

I had a driver accept my ride and stated time was 1 minute away, he was two blocks away. Five minutes later the car hadn't moved. I called, he said 5 more minutes so I walked over, the guy was having lunch. What's the penalty for him? nothing. I had another guy recently, messages his plate number because it's different than that stated on the app. Yeah, different car to so I told him to cancel and he got upset. Uber took this kind of garbage very seriously. Grab? "we banned him and reeducated after." What does that even mean?

Additionally, discounts are issued when they enter a market and thereafter only to 'new' users; prices increase otherwise.
GRAB used to offer pretty regular week long discounts when Uber was operating in Thailand. Haven't seen a GRAB discount since the merger, in addition to the price increasing for the same route/distance/time of day.

Agreed that the customer service is non-existent.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
So I installed Grab app on my phone in view of my future SEA trips. But I am not able to add a credit card, as it seems they do not allow “foreign” credit cards : “sorry, our server reported an error (not supported country = FR for stripe). Please try again later.
What a joke...
Old May 2, 2018, 2:00 am

I was able to open a Grab account using my yahoo email. When I tried to set up a grab account (using my US simcard with US number) on my phone with Grab app, I can not complete the set up step. It keeps asking for my gmail or face book account. And it ask me to sign in which using same information I had sign in previously.

I log into my yahoo account and tried to order a taxi thru my yahoo email, the system show it has send me a 6 digit pin code to my cell phone . But I never get it. Then my grab account was suspended due to suspious activity.

I wonder if I can use my US phone number to open another grab account. And if so, how can I sucessfully set up it using Grab app . I do not have a facebook account , only a gmail account.

if someone know how to do it, please kindly show me in detail so that I can have a grab account set up before my next trip to Bali.

Thank you
Old May 2, 2018, 2:25 am

I miss Uber already. Grab's service is not on the same level.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
So I installed Grab app on my phone in view of my future SEA trips. But I am not able to add a credit card, as it seems they do not allow “foreign” credit cards : “sorry, our server reported an error (not supported country = FR for stripe). Please try again later.
What a joke...

Yes, they do allow "foreign" credit cards. My US, Chase issued, VISA card is on my Grab account.

You are located in a "not supported country" because Grab doesn't operate where you are located.....until you are in one of the countries where Grab is operating, you won't be able to complete the set-up/registration. Once you're in Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, etc., with a local SIM card, you'll be able to add your credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.