Grab to take over Uber's operations in SE Asia - announcement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards

For those who use Uber in SE Asia...

Uber Pulls Out of Southeast Asia, Selling Operation to Rival Grab
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Sad news all around, Uber was my preferred method of transport within The Philippines anyway, I enjoyed the aspect of knowing exactly how much a ride would cost before I even got in the car, compared to Grab who basically quote between 80-140PHP (with the possibility of raising due to traffic)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by chris19992
Sad news all around, Uber was my preferred method of transport within The Philippines anyway, I enjoyed the aspect of knowing exactly how much a ride would cost before I even got in the car, compared to Grab who basically quote between 80-140PHP (with the possibility of raising due to traffic)
I guess the model works differently by country. In Myanmar the Grab app shows you the exact fare before you book and it doesn't change on arrival. Perhaps this is something they should sort out in future.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by seavisionburma
I guess the model works differently by country. In Myanmar the Grab app shows you the exact fare before you book and it doesn't change on arrival. Perhaps this is something they should sort out in future.
It's possible they may have that integrated already, I'm not 100% sure, the last time I used the Grab app was when Uber were forced to shutdown.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
But it looks like Uber is retaining a partial stake in the SEA business and not selling out in total like they did in China.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
oh nooooo
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:13 am

Ugh. Ugh again.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by quarryking
But it looks like Uber is retaining a partial stake in the SEA business and not selling out in total like they did in China.
Uber still has ownership rights to ~15% of DidiC.... and with how foreign ownership laws work in China, that’s not too bad.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Unfortunately, the Grab app's GPS is markedly inferior to Uber's GPS.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:36 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
So the Singapore and Malaysia regulators are starting to look at the Grab-Uber merger:
Singapore:
Grab-Uber deal faces interim action to ensure competition, Transport News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

Malaysia:
After Singapore, Malaysia to relook Grab-Uber marriage | Malaysia | Malay Mail Online

And Indonesia's Go-Jek are already signing up Uber's drivers in Indonesia and making their plans to enter the other countries in the region.
Indonesia's Go-Jek hiring ex-Uber drivers, Latest Singapore News - The New Paper
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:34 am

FWIW, Hong Kong is not affected as per a message on the app. Small market plus the fact Uber offices have been raided by police a couple of times already, not necessarily anything anyone would want to take over.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
In VN, GRAB stinks. So does Uber. IMHO Uber is completely inept at operating outside of the US. In Japan, Softbank just invested in Japan Taxi (main Uber competitor). I suspect Uber will (is?) getting walloped in Japan. They are totally tone deaf and oblivious to problems and market conditions. It's hard to imagine how they can be so inept.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
In VN, GRAB stinks. So does Uber.
all they need to do is be on par or just a tad bit better than the next-best alternative...
In Japan, Softbank just invested in Japan Taxi (main Uber competitor). I suspect Uber will (is?) getting walloped in Japan.
Softbank seems to be getting sick of the business running at a loss to be the last man standing and might be buying into JT to then force a merger of the two in Japan, just like they did with Grab / Uber in SEA...
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:01 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
In VN, GRAB stinks. So does Uber. IMHO Uber is completely inept at operating outside of the US.
I have used Uber Black in VN, Jakarta and Manila and found them to be excellent. In Thailand I’ve used Uber Black from the BKK airport from time to time and also found them excellent. What problems have you come across?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpia
FWIW, Hong Kong is not affected as per a message on the app. Small market plus the fact Uber offices have been raided by police a couple of times already, not necessarily anything anyone would want to take over.
Interesting - didn't realise HK was separate from the recent announcement.
Wonder what will happen there?

Will Uber exit Hong Kong market?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.