Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Thailand / Vietnam / Cambodia

Suggestions for Thailand / Vietnam / Cambodia

Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by zbomb2000
This is all under the assumption that it is fairly easy to fly between these locations. Is that the case?
Provided there is an airport, otherwise no.
Ko Samui does have its airport, but only Bangkok Airways fly to it, keeping prices high.
Chiang Mai is easy by plane and many LCCs and traditional airlines fly there.

Originally Posted by zbomb2000
The Singapore/Seoul question was really just wondering about breaking up the long flight times from Atlanta. It would probably be for a day only, but for those of you who have done long haul flights like this, is it even necessary? I wasn't planning on going out of my way to visit either of those places on this trip.
I would definitely make a 1 day stopover at either of the cities, but Singapore IMO is much better for sightseeing and much more convenient logistically. Unless it's expensive to make a stopover or you are short on time, go for it.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: most of them
depending on flight schedules sometimes you can get a stop of under 24 hours but long enough to break up the trip within the rules. I think the stopover question is best for the DL forum since the folks there would have a better handle on those sorts of rules.

I guess the responses here point out that everyone had different opinions. Personally I really like Seoul (and Singapore too). I spent a week in Seoul and found plenty to do.

Likewise Chiang Mai is a nice city. The old town inside the moat is easy to get around. It is a lot of temples though. There are some nice parks and interesting places nearby if you like nature.

I am surprised anyone would recommend Phnom Penh over SR. PP is traffic choked-nightmare
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I am surprised anyone would recommend Phnom Penh over SR. PP is traffic choked-nightmare
I believe you refer to me, however I did not say this. As I mentioned above, I have not been personally to either yet and I suppose visiting Siem Reap might be interesting for the topic starter. What I said about Phnom Penh is that I myself would rather go there instead, since Angkor is of little interest for me. Aside from the fact that I simply have seen too many temples, and Angkor for me is just another one, I generally tend to avoid highly touristic spots (crowded, messy, annoying, hard to take nice photos) and do not like being ripped off with double pricing. At the same time, Phnom Penh is a capital, and I, again, generally find capitals to be more enjoyable than secondary cities (there are notable exceptions, like Delhi, Manila and Hanoi) and in any case worth checking at least once. Choosing between a city choked with tourists and a city choked with traffic – to me the choice is obvious in favor of the latter
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by barracuda93
I believe you refer to me, however I did not say this. As I mentioned above, I have not been personally to either yet and I suppose visiting Siem Reap might be interesting for the topic starter. What I said about Phnom Penh is that I myself would rather go there instead, since Angkor is of little interest for me. Aside from the fact that I simply have seen too many temples, and Angkor for me is just another one, I generally tend to avoid highly touristic spots (crowded, messy, annoying, hard to take nice photos) and do not like being ripped off with double pricing. At the same time, Phnom Penh is a capital, and I, again, generally find capitals to be more enjoyable than secondary cities (there are notable exceptions, like Delhi, Manila and Hanoi) and in any case worth checking at least once. Choosing between a city choked with tourists and a city choked with traffic to me the choice is obvious in favor of the latter
Sorry, but this is insane. There is no way PP is in any way, form or fashion a better locale than REP. And you do yourself in by claiming the temples around Angkor are no different than anything else.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Sorry, but this is insane. There is no way PP is in any way, form or fashion a better locale than REP.
Insane just due to being an opinion different from your own? LOL

You may or may not be right about SR being overall better. It's quite possible that upon visiting both (if I ever happen to visit SR, which is not in my plans so far) I will say the same. As of now, I assume my opinion won't change significantly.

Once again, I have not visited either of two cities yet. I cannot have a solid position regarding how they compare to each other. I do have reasons to choose going to PP myself instead of SR, which I listed above. What do you wanna argue about? SR is not flooded by tourists? PP is not the capital?

And you do yourself in by claiming the temples around Angkor are no different than anything else.
You can keep saying that each single thing is always different from any other, and that's hard to argue with. Is Angkor different from temple? Yes, sure. Is it different enough to justify going to a city only for the sake of visiting that temple? Maybe for you, not for me.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I guess the responses here point out that everyone had different opinions.
Yes
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Insane just due to being an opinion different from your own? LOL

You may or may not be right about SR being overall better. It's quite possible that upon visiting both (if I ever happen to visit SR, which is not in my plans so far) I will say the same. As of now, I assume my opinion won't change significantly.

Once again, I have not visited either of two cities yet. I cannot have a solid position regarding how they compare to each other. I do have reasons to choose going to PP myself instead of SR, which I listed above. What do you wanna argue about? SR is not flooded by tourists? PP is not the capital?

You can keep saying that each single thing is always different from any other, and that's hard to argue with. Is Angkor different from temple? Yes, sure. Is it different enough to justify going to a city only for the sake of visiting that temple? Maybe for you, not for me.
Temples aren't your thing? Fine. Saying they are all the same? Asinine, presumptuous and ludicrous. Oh, and I suppose all waterfalls are the same too. And for someone who claims to be a photographer. Pshaw.

I do love your direct belief in what's better based upon, well, nothing, since you haven't even traveled here.

Look, REP (as a town) sucks. Tourists suck. The temples however cannot be found outside of the region and even then only in several places in Isaan and southern Laos outside of Cambodia. But have at it in PNH and watch out for your camera while walking around or you're more than likely to lose everything.

Cheers
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:36 am

Temples aren't your thing? Fine. Saying they are all the same?
Looks like you either didn't read my reply or failed to understand it

And for someone who claims to be a photographer.
Once again, you argue with your projections. I never claimed to be a photographer. Yes, I take photos, for myself. Who doesn't now? This is neither my job nor primary interest.
It's also a weird assumption that each and every photographer must be interested in temples, otherwise he is a hypocrite.

I do love your direct belief in what's better based upon, well, nothing, since you haven't even traveled here.
Well, how people at all make a decision of going to some new place? There are always plenty of places they never been to. And they, as a matter of fact, do not have direct experience of either.
Also, there is no lack of information nowadays. It is well possible to have a judgement based on facts even without a personal experience of the place. And I never claimed my opinion about Cambodia is something more than that.

Look, REP (as a town) sucks. Tourists suck. But have at it in PNH and watch out for your camera while walking around or you're more than likely to lose everything.
Look, from what I read and see online, Cambodia sucks as a whole. I do not expect PP to be like Singapore or Bangkok. My expectations are low. The only reason I at all consider going there is just to make some difference and put a checkmark "Cambodia done". I would actually be surprised if I happen to like it.
I live in Asia long enough to be able to imagine how crappy a place can be. After extensive travels in India and no, not to Taj Mahal and Rishikesh hardly some place can really shock me. So please, there is really no need to try scare me with images of traffic jams and occasional street theft, as if that is exclusive to PP.

The temples however cannot be found outside of the region and even then only in several places in Isaan and southern Laos outside of Cambodia.
Angkor is based on the same pattern (vastu) as any other old Hindu temple. Of course an expert in architecture would easily spot Khmer specifics, but I am not one (moreover, I doubt you happen to be one, given your weird statement), so yes, it's just another old Hindu temple, I have seen dozens of those and time to time still visit some.
Contrary to what you said above, I love certain temples. But why should I want to go to Angkor specifically? Because it's a part of the popular with masses touristic routine? Because it's huge? Because it's very much advertised? No, thanks. I'd rather visit some smaller remote temples of Orissa and Northern Kerala.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like you either didn't read my reply or failed to understand it
On the contrary, I understand what you said perfectly well.

Once again, you argue with your projections. I never claimed to be a photographer. Yes, I take photos, for myself. Who doesn't now? This is neither my job nor primary interest. It's also a weird assumption that each and every photographer must be interested in temples, otherwise he is a hypocrite.
You claimed to take photographs, hence a photographer. Who said you need to be primarily interested in temples? Talk about projection. Ha!!!

Well, how people at all make a decision of going to some new place? There are always plenty of places they never been to. And they, as a matter of fact, do not have direct experience of either. Also, there is no lack of information nowadays. It is well possible to have a judgement based on facts even without a personal experience of the place. And I never claimed my opinion about Cambodia is something more than that.
Except your judgement is not based upon facts but assumptions.

Look, from what I read and see online, Cambodia sucks as a whole. I do not expect PP to be like Singapore or Bangkok. My expectations are low. The only reason I at all consider going there is just to make some difference and put a checkmark "Cambodia done". I would actually be surprised if I happen to like it.
I live in Asia long enough to be able to imagine how crappy a place can be. After extensive travels in India – and no, not to Taj Mahal and Rishikesh – hardly some place can really shock me. So please, there is really no need to try scare me with images of traffic jams and occasional street theft, as if that is exclusive to PP.
Ah, to say you've been there. Check. One of those. Clarity. Thanks for that.

Where did I say you'd like Cambodia? Do tell because I generally argue the place sucks.

Angkor is based on the same pattern (vastu) as any other old Hindu temple. Of course an expert in architecture would easily spot Khmer specifics, but I am not one (moreover, I doubt you happen to be one, given your weird statement), so yes, it's just another old Hindu temple, I have seen dozens of those and time to time still visit some.
Contrary to what you said above, I love certain temples. But why should I want to go to Angkor specifically? Because it's a part of the popular with masses touristic routine? Because it's huge? Because it's very much advertised? No, thanks. I'd rather visit some smaller remote temples of Orissa and Northern Kerala.
OK, here's YOUR problem: You assume that the only temple is Angkor because it is the 'biggest', but Angkor Wat is but one structure. There are myriad temples of various shapes and sizes and conditions spread over a ridiculous area. Some suck, some are great, some crowded, some not, some morning, some afternoon. Your assessment is basic, pedestrian and yet cocksure because you've seen so many Hindu temples in India except you fail in your assessment because you speak of one temple.

You also claim Thailand to be better than Vietnam or Cambodia and yet have little to no experience with either. Talk about projections.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:29 am

On the contrary, I understand what you said perfectly well.
Sadly, no.

You claimed to take photographs, hence a photographer.
You write a post, hence you are a writer.

OK, here's YOUR problem:
I don't have any problems with Siem Reap. I am just disinterested in it and personally view visiting that place as a waste of time and effort. Simple as that.
You opt to see that as a personal offense, that's your choice.

You also claim Thailand to be better than Vietnam or Cambodia and yet have little to no experience with either. Talk about projections.
Again, baseless assumptions.

Of course, you are the only one around with the real experience, solid judgement and universal knowledge. Hope, you desperate longing for recognition is satisfied now and you feel better.
Pardon me, I see no point in further discussion with you and will ignore any sort of response from your side (if any).
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SR is a very interesting place and PH there is excellent. Obviously plan to avoid major crowds - some areas are definitely more overrun with tourists than others.

Overall it is becoming harder and harder to find quieter places in Asia due to significant increase in tourism from China.
dsquared37 and Goldorak like this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Overall it is becoming harder and harder to find quieter places in Asia due to significant increase in tourism from China.
It seems the Chinese tourists generally stick to the package tours, so if you travel independently, it's not really an issue. It only becomes an issue when you visit the super touristy places (like Angkor).
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, baseless assumptions.

Of course, you are the only one around with the real experience, solid judgement and universal knowledge. Hope, you desperate longing for recognition is satisfied now and you feel better.
Pardon me, I see no point in further discussion with you and will ignore any sort of response from your side (if any).
Baseless asumptions? Said by the one who claims that seeing Hindu temples in India suffices for Siem Reap. You show your colors, my point remains.

I hope your childish assumptions dissipate with age.

Tata.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
It seems the Chinese tourists generally stick to the package tours, so if you travel independently, it's not really an issue. It only becomes an issue when you visit the super touristy places (like Angkor).
Chinese tourists are beginning to do solo (read non-tour) travel as well which is both good and frightening simultaneously.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:04 am

Baseless asumptions? Said by the one who claims that seeing Hindu temples in India suffices for Siem Reap.
Wonder how many Hindu temples in India you have visited to claim the opposite though

I hope your childish assumptions dissipate with age.
Tata.
Yeah-yeah, when someone has nothing to say on the matter, he resorts to argumentum ad hominem. Sorry, you might be older (in fact we do not know that), but it just makes you older, it doesn't add credibility to your opinions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.