Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hue, Vietnam. Any recent experience/impressions/advices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Folks,

I have 3.5 days/4 nights between arrival and departure from DAD between end of Apr/May. I've been in Hoi An already and this time was planning to spend 2 nights at Hue and then 2 nights at Da Nang/Hoi An before flying out.

However exactly at this time there will be a festival in Hue so now I am thinking to spend three nights from 28th till May 1st, travel on May 1st from Hue to Da Nang via train, stay one night at Hoi An and fly out on May 2nd.

I have some questions, would be glad if you can help answer them:
- Anyone has attended/saw this festival in past? Does it worth to spend one more night in the city?
- How much did you pay for DAD-Hue car transfer? How far in advance did you book (if you did so)?
- In addition to this festival, Imperial Citadel and tombs, what else once could see during 2.5 days?
- Train ride from Hue to Da Nang. How far in advance did you book tickets? How reliable are train rides?

Thanks.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:23 pm

Hue, Vietnam

I have stayed in Hue for almost 2 weeks. There's so much things to see in the city. If you haven't tried going to Tam Giang to sunrise or sunset, both are amazing. They have the Bach Ma National Park and Elephant Spring as well. If you are a little adventurous, you can check the abandoned water park. Hue Festival is being celebrated around June. I guess what you meant was the independence day celebration and yes, it is a big thing as well. They have several activities since it being followed by another holiday, the labor day observance. All my travels in the city were from the same company, they are called VM Travel. They were all nice and even bought me a cake when they've learned that I was travelling on my birthday. I took the train from Danang to Hue, I had to fall in line to get my ticket, but you can always ask assistance from travel agencies to secure you seats most especially during holidays. This is their website: vmtravel.com.vn
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:07 am

In my opinion, you should do 3 nights in Hue including Hue festival, do a private car from Hue to Danang (Hai Van pass, Marble mountain... on the way) and do 1 night stay in Danang (Departure).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
On my upcoming trip to VN I am planning to spend 1 night in Da Nang, as I have a late night arrival, followed by 3 nights each in Hue and Hoi An.

Arriving in VN in just over 2 weeks time! Starting to get excited about this!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Cris L
On my upcoming trip to VN I am planning to spend 1 night in Da Nang, as I have a late night arrival, followed by 3 nights each in Hue and Hoi An.

Arriving in VN in just over 2 weeks time! Starting to get excited about this!
Cool, let us know how it goes, and what you would have done differently (after the fact).
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Thnks for opinions. Hotel for three days is already booked, also bought train tickets from Hue to Danang, should take no more than 3h travel.

Does anybody know if there are free tours conducted by local students who want to practice their English? I found that such tours are quite entertaining and good value, even after you add tips for them.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by invisible
Thnks for opinions. Hotel for three days is already booked, also bought train tickets from Hue to Danang, should take no more than 3h travel.

Does anybody know if there are free tours conducted by local students who want to practice their English? I found that such tours are quite entertaining and good value, even after you add tips for them.
I stayed for 1 night back in Jan, take note if you plan on going to the tombs via a boat it leaves at 8am for the whole day making several stops. I missed it not knowing its only at 8am, I didnt want to charter my own boat way to expensive
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by invisible
- How much did you pay for DAD-Hue car transfer? How far in advance did you book (if you did so)?
- Train ride from Hue to Da Nang. How far in advance did you book tickets? How reliable are train rides?
I was in Hue and Danang last summer.

No reason to book transportation in advance. There will be numerous options when you get there - and much cheaper once you get there. Consider going by motorbike (with driver). A great way to get from Hoi An/Danang to Hue with some sightseeing on the way. Takes around a half day or a bit more depending on how many stops you make. 50 USD including motorbike, gasoline, driver etc (lunch enroute is on your own dime).

Train. Between Hue and Danang there is no need to book in advance as it is not a night/sleeper train. But only a few trains a day. I would go by motorbike; a great experience. Luggage is no issue. PM if you need a great and safe driver/guide in Hue/Danang. I should have booked him and his motorbike for more days.

Last edited by SK AAR; Mar 15, 2018 at 5:30 pm
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
I stayed for 1 night back in Jan, take note if you plan on going to the tombs via a boat it leaves at 8am for the whole day making several stops. I missed it not knowing its only at 8am, I didnt want to charter my own boat way to expensive
How much is the price and from where the boat leaves? And how one should get back?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I was in Hue and Danang last summer.

No reason to book transportation in advance. There will be numerous options when you get there - and much cheaper once you get there. Consider going by motorbike (with driver). A great way to get from Hoi An/Danang to Hue with some sightseeing on the way. Takes around a half day or a bit more depending on how many stops you make. 50 USD including motorbike, gasoline, driver etc (lunch enroute is on your own dime).

Train. Between Hue and Danang there is no need to book in advance as it is not a night/sleeper train. But only a few trains a day. I would go by motorbike; a great experience. Luggage is no issue. PM if you need a great and safe driver/guide in Hue/Danang. I should have booked him and his motorbike for more days.
Thanks. For $50 USD I can get get a car which sears 4 adults comfortably and that's the number which we have in our party. While I've seen 4 people on a single bike number of times during my travels in Vietnam, but I doubt that we want to repeat that trick.
Regarding train - already booked tickets after being warned that one should do this as soon as they are open for booking because combination of the festival and 1st May holiday will guarantee that you won't get tickets unless booking in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.