Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Safe to travel to Maldives now?

Old Feb 18, 18, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Iíve an upcoming trip to Maldives in early March. Is it safe to travel to Maldives now due to political turmoil? Or I should cancel my trip to stay away from it? I see two different reportings from the news media. Iíll be staying at Male for one night then rest of the trip be at Park Hyatt.
Old Feb 18, 18, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta, United
Check the State Dept. warnings:

https://lk.usembassy.gov/travel-advi...bruary-6-2018/

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
Old Feb 18, 18, 10:51 am
Original Poster

I would like to hear some words from the locals or people who just came back from there. So far from what I saw on the news, there is no riot, only some demonstrations. Tourist business still operate as usual. State emergency will ended on 2/20. So it’s hard to decide if I wanted to be panic and safe to cancel the trip.
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dont have to stay on male, can stay at a resort that is reached by speedboat that night

may also be able to fly through GAN instead of male
Old Feb 20, 18, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Based on having been there a few years back, unless you're going to Male you're likely to be fine.
Old Feb 20, 18, 4:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to the Asia forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Feb 21, 18, 6:22 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Wowotoe View Post
Iíve an upcoming trip to Maldives in early March. Is it safe to travel to Maldives now due to political turmoil? Or I should cancel my trip to stay away from it? I see two different reportings from the news media. Iíll be staying at Male for one night then rest of the trip be at Park Hyatt.
We were there January 29th to February 05th and no issues at all. A friend was in Male during some of the protests, wandered right through them and never felt intimidated.
I would be unconcerned.
Old Feb 22, 18, 4:50 am

Yes, it's perfectly safe. Nothing's happening apart from the occasional 'demonstration' in Male. I was in Male six days ago: everything's open as usual and the airport was heaving with tourists arriving for half-term holidays and lunar new year.
Old Feb 27, 18, 5:29 am

I've been in Maldives for the past 8 nights having a grand time. Nothing dangerous happening at all.
Old Mar 3, 18, 10:25 pm

Was there at PH when the whole Supreme Court decision was made. Nothing happened when we flew out of Male.
If you are concerned, just don't stay at Male. Go directly to PH.
Old Mar 5, 18, 12:15 am

A friend of mine just came back from Male, never felt unsafe. But as said before, go directly to PH if you feel too concerned.

Should be no problems though, don't worry
Old Jan 14, 19, 4:59 pm

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
Demonstrations in Maldives are partly for theatrical effect. There are no arms or even molotov cocktails or anything of that sort. Plenty of foreign news media and once the filming is finished a lot of times it is over.
Old Jan 15, 19, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by dav662 View Post
Demonstrations in Maldives are partly for theatrical effect. There are no arms or even molotov cocktails or anything of that sort. Plenty of foreign news media and once the filming is finished a lot of times it is over.
I also read somewhere that they demonstrate in Male and not on the islands - as the protesters understand that they rely heavily on tourism
Old Jun 21, 19, 8:01 am

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
I also read somewhere that they demonstrate in Male and not on the islands - as the protesters understand that they rely heavily on tourism

Yes they do and as others have said many tourists have walked through it and nothing will happen to them. As I said it is always a drama that is being played out for the foreign press. No press no demonstrations.
Old Apr 7, 20, 8:08 pm

Maldives safety with recession due to Covid19

Last month 3 foreign tourists were stabbed in Male (Hulhumale side) by sympathizers of terrorism.
Many feel that these things tend to go hand in hand with tough times such as economic recession.

I'm contemplating a return trip to Maldives towards the end of the year. I transferred straight onto the resort seaplane at MLE and spent zero time in Male, and of course the entire experience was like being in a tropical paradise and I didn't even think about any safety issues. But with Maldives about to get hit hard economically and with the above news, it makes me wonder.

Ben Schlappig did a piece pondering this topic a few years back, but ultimately he didn't have a definitive answer and left it at that. So I just wanted to get some thoughts from those who know Maldives well.

-- If I have to do an overnight in Male, which might be safer? Male or Hulhumale?
-- At one of these remote island resorts (Fairmont, Conrad, St Regis, etc), does anyone have any sense as to to the level of security preparedness and how readily available Coast Guard / police are in case something happens? If something like what happened in Tunisia were to happen at a Maldives resort, there may not be an escape for guests unless help arrives fast.

I'd appreciate constructive insight (as opposed to a mere dismissal that I'm being over-paranoid).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: