Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Suggestions what kind of container to bring gifts for family in Vietnam?

Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Hello...
Heading to Vietnam as part of our honeymoon and will be meeting my fiancé's family there for the first time in April. We want to bring gifts for the kids there as well as a couple bottles of alcohol for the adults. We need something disposable to transport it all in and looking for suggestions... we'll be flying first class on KE so we can have luggage up to 70lbs and 62 linear inches. First thought was a cardboard box wrapped in tape, but in case it has to be opened by TSA would they reseal it? Any other suggestions for the best way to do this?

Also, I've researched and think we'll be ok with importing a small amount of things, but any things to consider when going through customs in Vietnam? I'm white/american and from what I read prob better I bring it in as opposed to my Vietnamese American fiancé? It will mostly be kids toys and clothing, powered ensure for her grandmother and two or three bottles of liquor.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: KF*G, AB*G, IBP*G, LCAH*Plat, HH*D, ONYX*Plat, BW*DS
Sad to say this but Vietnamese baggage handlers and customs are known for misappropriation. Especially during peak periods or whenever anything shiny like electronics go through the x-ray, you always are exposed to either not seeing them again.

Liquor I always buy from my departure airport, sealed and cleared for cabin. Toys and smaller gifts should be fine. Valuables definitely in cabin luggage.

Cartons for one-off packaging are common in Vietnam and customs definitely are required to re-seal again. Usually, they would rather pull you out and open it yourself in the pretense of suspected imports exceeding the legal amount.

Good luck and happy holidays with the in-laws!
​​​​
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Whenever I need to transport things one way, and I do this a lot, I look through my local craigslist free listings. It is amazing how many people give away suitcases for free. Or if not free, then $5-$10 at most. Or the local re-use it or thrift store. Then I just either toss it or donate it at the other end.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qsharp
Liquor I always buy from my departure airport, sealed and cleared for cabin. Toys and smaller gifts should be fine. Valuables definitely in cabin luggage.
​​​​
Ok, thanks for the tips! If we go the Duty free route, can we purchase at SFO (our departure airport), or would it be better to purchase at ICN during our layover? Never bought duty free alcohol before so new to all this. How are the prices compared to your average store in the US?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:26 pm

Buy your alcohol at ICN just for ease. i think you can bring in 4lts between you both but do check that. As a side note, not sure what your partners family likes to drink but i've found a bottle of cognac goes a long way with the men in the family over there
As for bringing goods into Vietnam, my wife and i always bring toys and clothes for her family, normally just in an extra suitcase, never ever had a problem (apart from my mother who bought some toys and had her luggage checked in SIN)
Fair warning if you are bringing anything like watches, electronics, cameras etc you can be held to account for taxes payable if bringing them into the country.
If you are bringing any of those just remove them from any packaging so they don't look new and you can claim them as your own thus avoiding taxes.
I see cardboard boxes coming into Vietnam all the time, one thing i would look at is getting it plastic wrapped in SFO which deters baggage handlers from opening and pilfering.

My wife and i will often travel with a cheapish duffle bag which we put clothes into on the way over leaving room for gifts in the suitcases then on the way back the duffle just folds up into a suitcase if it's not needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.