Reload this Page >

Transiting through Myanmar and parsing TIMATIC

Old Feb 13, 18, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

I was looking at flights to Chiang Mai and an odd itin appeared: XXX-BKK-RGN-CNX where XXX is not Thailand. For no other reason than curiosity I ran that scenario through EF for transfer info on Myanmar.

Visa required, except for Passengers with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country on the same calendar
day. They must stay in the international transit area of the airport and have documents required for the next destination.
Visa Issuance:
Visa required, except for Nationals of USA with an onward ticket can obtain a transit visa on arrival for a maximum of
24 hours.
So the question is, would XXX be the first country or would Thailand be considered the first country because the segment entering Myanmar departs from BKK? If the latter then CNX would not be a third country but it appears a TVOA would suffice.
Old Feb 14, 18, 9:49 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
So the question is, would XXX be the first country or would Thailand be considered the first country because the segment entering Myanmar departs from BKK? If the latter then CNX would not be a third country but it appears a TVOA would suffice.
Third country means a country other than the country of departure or Myanmar. I'm pretty sure that Thailand is not considered as a third country as that's where the passenger is arriving from, even if it's just a transit point.
Old Feb 14, 18, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Myyra View Post
Third country means a country other than the country of departure or Myanmar. I'm pretty sure that Thailand is not considered as a third country as that's where the passenger is arriving from, even if it's just a transit point.
Right, but does that come into play for the second part where a TVOA can be acquired.
Old Feb 15, 18, 9:36 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
Right, but does that come into play for the second part where a TVOA can be acquired.
You need an onward ticket for the transit visa, so it depends on the Myanmar immigration interpretation of onward ticket. It is well established that this itinerary wouldn't work in China to qualify for the 72/144 hour TWOV, but who knows what Myanmar thinks.
Old Feb 15, 18, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Myyra View Post
You need an onward ticket for the transit visa, so it depends on the Myanmar immigration interpretation of onward ticket. It is well established that this itinerary wouldn't work in China to qualify for the 72/144 hour TWOV, but who knows what Myanmar thinks.
Right, there are similarities but the wording is different. Also in China you're generally shunted through iimigration but I think that's not the case in RGN.

On the other hand China doesn't offer the potential of a Transit Visa On Arrival which has the potential to mitigate the 3rd country wording so long as it doesn't apply to the second paragraph. While the theoretical is interesting I wonder if anyone has actually experience.