JFK/LGA to MNL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK/LGA to MNL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite : HH Blue : AA : WR : VX Elevate : VS Flying Club : Amtk GR
JFK/LGA to MNL

Planning on going to Manila sometime between Aug-Oct

I will be leaving from either JFK or LGA, I'm trying to figure out what's the best airline and the best way to get there.

I recently used up all my AA points and don't have points with any other airline.

What say you my fellow forum members.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Find A Filipino

I would suggest finding Filipinos who live there and ask what travel agents do they use. Most of these agents are Ticket Consolidators and get very inexpensive tickets on major airlines like Korean, Eva, Delta, and others. You could also try online agencies as well. My agent in South Florida is online, in case you are interested. Please PM me for information if you want to check her out.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There are many choices with one connection: KE via ICN. JL via NRT, CI/BR via TPE, MU via PVG, CZ via CAN, CX via HKG.
If you are collecting AA miles then an additional stop at DFW or LAX will get you AA metal TPAC and a codeshare on the last leg into MNL.

Filipino travel agents prices are not always the cheapest as they need to make a profit. Shop around and beware of ticket and fare class as it relates to miles earning as well as status benefits.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
There are many choices with one connection: KE via ICN. JL via NRT, CI/BR via TPE, MU via PVG, CZ via CAN, CX via HKG.
If you are collecting AA miles then an additional stop at DFW or LAX will get you AA metal TPAC and a codeshare on the last leg into MNL.

Filipino travel agents prices are not always the cheapest as they need to make a profit. Shop around and beware of ticket and fare class as it relates to miles earning as well as status benefits.
Again, YMMV, I had my best prices booking through them, but you do need to ask about the fare class and read the restrictions. I last went in 2012 around the peak holiday season and paid $970 round trip from Miami flying on B6/KL to MNL and KL/AA on the return.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Again, YMMV, I had my best prices booking through them, but you do need to ask about the fare class and read the restrictions. I last went in 2012 around the peak holiday season and paid $970 round trip from Miami flying on B6/KL to MNL and KL/AA on the return.
Out of MIA with KL, did you fly east? what was your routing?
Yes YMMV:
Our 2012 Christmas NGO trip to MNL was $876.43 each, a party of 8 on my PNR direct from DL.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:39 pm

Out of MIA with KL, did you fly east? what was your routing?
Yes YMMV:
Our 2012 Christmas NGO trip to MNL was $876.43 each, a party of 8 on my PNR direct from DL.
Sorry, I mistyped the airline, it was Korean Airlines (KE)
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:52 pm

Many options, as have already been suggested. I would avoid the China connections though, if possible. Stick to a routing via NRT, ICN, TPE, or HKG.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I wouldn't advise which airline to take as a matter of preference and routing. E.g. I would take a cheap r/t fare available via United to SIN or KUL. Separately book LCC from there to your MNL destination (they run chepa depending on baggage requirements).
I would discourage using any airline beginning with China (e.g. Air China is fine) as they offer cheap fares but customer service may not be worth it. You should also stay away from ME airlines (Emirates, Eithad) as I personally witness the boarding and disrespect given to folks on the leg to MNL and it was discouraging vs. service/respect for customer flying to JFK. Additionally, extremely long route.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite : HH Blue : AA : WR : VX Elevate : VS Flying Club : Amtk GR
Thank you all, gonna research the options you guys gave especially since AA said even through OneWorld I could only fly to Cebu or Angeles. So I was looking at other airlines as well. Bit you guys give me hope.

The city I am going to (Ilagan) is still a 9-11hr drive from Manila although there is an local airport that only does domestic flights in a neighboring city.

Also what is TPAC?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Toshiro Hitsugaya
Thank you all, gonna research the options you guys gave especially since AA said even through OneWorld I could only fly to Cebu or Angeles. So I was looking at other airlines as well. Bit you guys give me hope.

The city I am going to (Ilagan) is still a 9-11hr drive from Manila although there is an local airport that only does domestic flights in a neighboring city.

Also what is TPAC?
TPAC = Trans Pacific & TATL = Trans Atlantic

a person can fly to MHL either by going West over the US and Pacific Ocean or East via Europe eg getting to Singapore with SQ(Signapore Air) they fly from JFK in NY but only by 1st flying to FRA(Frankfurt) so although if a person buys that tkt they arent flying TPAC since they are flying over the Atlantic and not Pacific, while from LA or SanFran its TPAC as they arent gonna fly East
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Toshiro Hitsugaya

Cebu is definitely better to fly into if you're going to any of the Visayan islands. And Clark/Angeles is ok to fly into also if you're going to the north. But you can certainly still fly into Manila with any of the alliances. Unless they were just referring to there being no seats available with points, I'm not sure I understand why AA would say that. JL and CX both fly to Manila and would make sense for your trip.

I would fly into MNL then, and catch a second flight on another ticket, to Tuguegarao. A Cebu Pacific ticket or a PAL ticket shouldn't be too much. On the same day, I would be willing to try to connect going there with a good 4 hour or more buffer. On the return, you should get to Manila the day before, as domestic arrivals can be delayed a lot. That long bus ride is doable, but I just don't get excited by long bus rides in the Phils, I'd much rather hang out at the airport awhile and fly to the nearest location.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given all te facts presented, your best routing is CX JFK HKG CEB
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:23 pm

Given all te facts presented, your best routing is CX JFK HKG CEB
I think you missed one fact: Final destination is northern Luzon. So CEB is not the best choice.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:23 am

Searching of the best route is of great importance 'course. I only doubt Manila is the best destination at all, the whole region as a whole.
I'm in Frisco now sipping beer..... at last... 5 days back from my tour to South Korea. 20 days there, including a week in a local hospital of a small metropolitan city of Ulsan, ruined me physically absolutely. I was taken that shabby hospital from the hotel with some awful fever. They thought it was sort of birds flu outbreak again, some new type of it ... you know.... Luckily it wasn't that case with me.... But many guys in that hospital appear to have caught smth really bad. Dozens dead and panic and the hospital was full absolutely... Can't get it why there's no info on it in wide access so to say. Looks like epidemic or sort of it...
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mixed up my geography

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.