Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Who's been to Colombo?

Who's been to Colombo?

Old Dec 5, 17, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Who's been to Colombo?

I'll be there for 6 days in mid-Jan '18. How are the taxis and tuk tuks? Any and all advice appreciated (my first time in South Asia).
Old Dec 5, 17, 6:25 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM) - CX Grn
The tuktuks theoretically should all have meters now. I don't think I have seen more than one or two "taxis" in all my trips though I would expect all the larger hotels (and the airport) to have cars/drivers available.
Tuktuks are mostly usable with little "pain"

Happy wandering
Fred
Old Dec 5, 17, 11:45 pm

Programs: Can't be bothered anymore...
Originally Posted by Daawgon View Post
I'll be there for 6 days in mid-Jan '18. How are the taxis and tuk tuks? Any and all advice appreciated (my first time in South Asia).
Uber is available there now and makes things quite easy. Noticed a lot of the tuk-tuks have meters now and so that should save you the haggling. There are no flag down type taxis, but taxis are there. These would be ones you call in & book. I believe there's one service call Kangaroo taxis.
Old Dec 6, 17, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

35 years ago, I can't say I liked the city. We spent most of our time in Kandy which was much nicer.
Old Dec 8, 17, 12:19 pm

Programs: most of them
traffic was horrendous when I was there last year. I was only there for about a day and half before moving on to more scenic parts of the country. I presume you will be there for some reason other than sightseeing since 6 days is a long time.
Old Dec 8, 17, 3:25 pm

Been traveling and living part time in Sri Lanka. every since 1975 when I was a young american marine at the embassy in Colombo. I have fallen in love with this country for all these years. There is so many taxis and tun tug's that if you happen to get in one with out a meter, just get back out and find one with a meter..No problem. Meters vary also pending on time and distance also...We ourselves arrive back in Mount Lavinia, Sri Lanka in just about 2 weeks and will stay until mid April this year..Just love that place and enjoy your stay..

Last edited by bulbmogul; Dec 8, 17 at 3:35 pm
Old Dec 9, 17, 4:22 am
Original Poster

I'm older, 74, and love crazy cities (I now live in Hanoi). Spending 6 days in Colombo in 2 Airbnb places: a small guesthouse in a fancy hood and another in Kotahena. I love Indian food, and I just want to experience Sri Lanka without running around from tourist site to tourist site. So far this year I've been to Myanmar, Singapore and just came back from Taiwan. I really like the less developed places - people are friendlier.
wandering_fred likes this.
Old Dec 9, 17, 9:58 pm

Programs: most of them
to each their own, I guess. if you're only going to Colombo though you'll be missing the best parts of the country
sooge_sj likes this.
Old Dec 10, 17, 8:28 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Metered tuk-tuks...how amusing. At least when you negotiate the rip-off beforehand, you can only blame yourself.

To sum up my two stays in Colombo; bustling is an understatement. Rather enjoyed the seafood fritters by Galle Face. Try set meals with pumpkin and beets, too.
Old Dec 12, 17, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Changed my itinerary now: 3 days suburban Colombo + 3 days in Galle
Old Dec 13, 17, 6:45 pm

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by Daawgon View Post
Changed my itinerary now: 3 days suburban Colombo + 3 days in Galle
FYI, Galle Face is in Colombo...
Old Dec 14, 17, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
FYI, Galle Face is in Colombo...
I believe he is referring to the city of GALLE in the southern province..
Old Dec 14, 17, 12:28 pm

Galle is definitely worth checking out, the old fort is quite nice to walk around with some interesting shops and restaurants. Exiting Colombo CMB was quite hectic, beware of men carrying your luggage onto the taxi or car without your consent and the hustling you for tips!
Old Dec 14, 17, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackson112233 View Post
Galle is definitely worth checking out, the old fort is quite nice to walk around with some interesting shops and restaurants. Exiting Colombo CMB was quite hectic, beware of men carrying your luggage onto the taxi or car without your consent and the hustling you for tips!
Oh, I'm an old hand at such things after living in Vietnam for a year!
Old Dec 15, 17, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by bulbmogul View Post
I believe he is referring to the city of GALLE in the southern province..
DUH. I thought it was a response to what I previously wrote, particularly considering that OP has never been to Sri Lanka.

Anyway, can't see three days in Colombo and three in Galle to be too uplifting.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: