Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

CA to Cambodia/Laos -- best transit airport in Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CA to Cambodia/Laos -- best transit airport in Asia?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Question CA to Cambodia/Laos -- best transit airport in Asia?

Hello,

I'll be heading either from SFO-PNH / REP / LPQ (it's not too important where I land first since I'll be traveling for a few weeks through Laos and Cambodia). I have also considered flying to BKK or CNX or possibly even SGN (don't know if I might need a visa, and also, these would have to be dual-entry, unless I timed my connection VERY tightly).

I am flying alone, it's a long flight, it will be busy given that it will be near Christmas, and I've heard nightmares about transiting through Shanghai, and most every other Chinese airport, although I am not sure why they are so unloved other than what sounds like a lot of hassle. Thus said, the 24-hour visa-free stopovers sound fun, although I've also heard of people being turned away, but I don't know if these stories are true or not.

There are a LOT of possible carriers I can take and thus transit airports, and I think I would just like to take the nicest and easiest. Any recommendations for your preferences and why you like these? Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by wanderingstar
Hello,

I'll be heading either from SFO-PNH / REP / LPQ (it's not too important where I land first since I'll be traveling for a few weeks through Laos and Cambodia). I have also considered flying to BKK or CNX or possibly even SGN (don't know if I might need a visa, and also, these would have to be dual-entry, unless I timed my connection VERY tightly).

I am flying alone, it's a long flight, it will be busy given that it will be near Christmas, and I've heard nightmares about transiting through Shanghai, and most every other Chinese airport, although I am not sure why they are so unloved other than what sounds like a lot of hassle. Thus said, the 24-hour visa-free stopovers sound fun, although I've also heard of people being turned away, but I don't know if these stories are true or not.

There are a LOT of possible carriers I can take and thus transit airports, and I think I would just like to take the nicest and easiest. Any recommendations for your preferences and why you like these? Thanks!
I'm taking China Airlines from SFO to TPE, then on to SGN. Direct non-stop with one connection, so easy-peasy. TPE offers lots of possibilities for S/E Asia destinations; lots of low-cost carriers too.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 20, 2017 at 10:51 am Reason: To separate this member's reply from the quote of the OP's message.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Hello,

I've usually transited through BKK, primarily because it's an easy airport to transit through and Bangkok air has flights very often through the day (cheap too) to Phnom Penh.
Bye make sure you get the visa in advance for Cambodia -- much easier and faster to get through immigration -- and you can do it online and print out the visa and take it with you
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:53 pm

HKG has flights to PNH, REP, SGN.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:34 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
There are plenty of flights every day into LPQ and Cambodia from BKK including some new low cost ones. BKK is a good place for connections and civilised for transit waiting.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, but there are no direct flights from San Francisco or Los Angeles to Bangkok, so I would have to still stop one other place in Asia first.

Hong Kong looks nice, great suggestion! But the flights are very costly from what I am seeing, often double most others.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
For Cambodia and Laos, the best transit airports are (1) BKK and (2) SGN. BKK is best for Laos (LPQ or VTE) and both are equivalent for Cambodia (PNH or REP) in terms of number of flights.

For transits in mainland China, I connected several times through CAN and it was very easy (+ it's a nice airport and the lounges are very decent). PVG is less easy (and lounges are crap).
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
You can connect through ICN. Just a one hour layover on KE on the way SFO-PNH, but a whole day on the way back to SFO. Asiana flies to PNH too, but it is an all day layover in each directions.

Also try HKG.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
You can connect through ICN. Just a one hour layover on KE on the way SFO-PNH, but a whole day on the way back to SFO. Asiana flies to PNH too, but it is an all day layover in each directions.
Sure but the ICN-PNH flight is quite long (5hrs) and certainly not the best option after a very long flight from SFO. While from BKK or SGN it’s just a very short 1hr flight.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Sure but the ICN-PNH flight is quite long (5hrs) and certainly not the best option after a very long flight from SFO. While from BKK or SGN it’s just a very short 1hr flight.
There are no nonstop flights from the US to BKK or SGN. This makes the journey two-stops instead of just one like ICN, HKG, TPE, NRT or the various mainland Chinese hubs.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. 5 hours is not long if you're trying to get to SE Asia.

I don't understand what the difference is between one stops or two.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: most of them
connecting via SIN is also an option. I don't know what time those direct flights (SQ and UA) arrive, but SilkAir goes to PNH and REP a couple of times per day and also to LPQ via Vientiane.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

How is CAN as a transit point? It looks like the best price and flight times with a 3-5 hour stopover each way? I haven't touched the ticket yet. Thoughts before I buy it?

It's on China Southern, which is probably its own separate can of worms; I read mixed reviews. But it is by far the easiest way to fly, with one stop, rather than three.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

How is CAN as a transit point? It looks like the best price and flight times with a 3-5 hour stopover each way? I haven't touched the ticket yet. Thoughts before I buy it?

It's on China Southern, which is probably its own separate can of worms; I read mixed reviews. But it is by far the easiest way to fly, with one stop, rather than three.
CAN is a nice and easy airport to transit through and CZ is a decent carrier. So if it is a convenient routing for you + acceptable fare, go for it. I used that connection point several times to/from Cambodia and it worked well every time.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I wound up picking TPE because it was on a better reviewed airline (Eva Airways vs. China Southern) for about the same price, but I will not hesitate in the future to transit through CAN, which seems to be where many/most affordable flights originating from SFO/OAK/SAC/LAX stop over.

I am glad to hear this since I am already thinking of my next trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.