Wiki Posts
Search

Flying from PNH to REP?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Flying from PNH to REP?

Hi everyone--

I'm headed to Phnom Penh in November and will be flying to Siem Reap shortly after. Am keen to get a gauge of everyone's thoughts on local Cambodian airlines and how reliable they are. As of right now, I'm seeing numerous flights for Cambodia Angkor Air...has anyone flown them? They appear to be one of the if not the only airline that flies direct between the two cities.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: most of them
it's a fine airline. They are partly owned by Vietnam Airlines.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Far safer than the bus or boat alternatives
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:16 pm

There are several but Angkor is the safest.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I just flew Bassaka last week. It was fine and dirt cheap.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dls25
I just flew Bassaka last week. It was fine and dirt cheap.
Awesome. Thanks everyone for your input. I've seen a fair amount of shady websites advertising the Angkor and Bassaka flights (Kiwi.com, Cheapoair.com, etc.). Are those all reliable? Let's say it's $60 on Kiwi.com but $105 on Vayama.com. Would be it better just to go with Vayama?

Thanks again!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by Strawboy1230
Awesome. Thanks everyone for your input. I've seen a fair amount of shady websites advertising the Angkor and Bassaka flights (Kiwi.com, Cheapoair.com, etc.). Are those all reliable? Let's say it's $60 on Kiwi.com but $105 on Vayama.com. Would be it better just to go with Vayama?

Thanks again!

I booked Bassaka right on their website - bassakaair.com. Took my US-issued CC no problem.

Trip Report: http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewt...?f=9&t=1376211
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:06 am

I have flown Cambodian Angkor Air on three seperate ocassions twice between REP and KOS, and just a couple of months ago from KOS to SGN. Nothing memorable about the flights.

From the reviews though, it seems that when things go wrong for Cambodian Angkor Air, they go really wrong, and due to a lack of aircraft and crews, when a plane is out of place for weather or mechanical reasons, it is hard for the system to recover. But, in my three experiences with them, I have never had an issue.

I have flown KOS-REP, because the only way to take the bus is Sinoukville to Phnom Penh, and a second bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, with a total travel time of 12 hours or so. But, I have taken the Mekong Express from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, it took about 6 hours and was reasonably comfortable, and was so cheap it was essientially free.

If you do take the bus, take the Mekong Express, I have used them to get from Phnom Penh to Sinoukville, Saigon to Phnom Penh, and Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. They are comfortable and professional.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by Strawboy1230

Thanks again!
I typically just book directly on the airline's website. Sometimes you run into a special web deal not available elsewhere depending on the airline.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:01 am

Again - Angkor is partly owned by VN and is considered the safest. I believe most diplomats are not allowed to fly any of the other airlines.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116

If you do take the bus, take the Mekong Express, I have used them to get from Phnom Penh to Sinoukville, Saigon to Phnom Penh, and Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. They are comfortable and professional.
While Mekong Express will get you there, everything being equal I'd go with Giant Ibis, hands down.
rjh likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You should travel on K6 (Cambodia Angkor Air) and forget all other airlines flying domestic. I don't consider them as sufficiently safe. And K6 has some very cheap fares for the domestic legs.
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA, BA
Find Cambodia Angkor Air very reliable, other carriers seem to cancel flights with very little or no notice.
the website is not always reliable for ticket purchase, however, I believe this to be more related to credit card issuers due to the point of sale than a website issue.
Despite completing verified by visa security the transaction was not processed several times until calling the issuer, then no problem.
kiwi is absolutely fine to book with. Never had a problem.
As already mentioned, some promotion fares are only available direct with the carrier.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:49 am

My 2013 flight report on Angkor Air : http://www.globalphotos.org/angkorair.htm

Decent experience.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
K6 is definitely a nice reliable carrier. Personally, I never had any problem booking on their website with a visa (I am based in France).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.