TPE Airport-disappointed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TPE Airport-disappointed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Last month had transit TPE on BR PE (T1) twice , and entered/departed flying CX F (T2).

There is fast track transit security for BR J and * Gold.

For Priority Pass, Plaza Premium lounges were great, though the smaller one doesn't have its own washroom. Multiple kitchen order items available.

Zero line up for inbound immigration in T2 (CX) @ 5pm. Without thinking I picked a counter with 2 officers. It was rookie training. So I learned in detail what security features to look for on a Canadian passport, while 3 people went through at the next counter.

Outbound immigration lines (~9am) are shorter than in HKG (if using passport) or any Japanese airports.

CX lounge was great, in many ways resembles the Wing F lounge in HKG.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Dave510
Any idea if it will extend to Canadians enrolled in the NEXUS program?
No. It is only for US citizens who are GE members, as direct reciprocity for Taiwan citizen eligibility for GE.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by east_west
Personally, I can't stand HKGs sauna-like open-air lounges crammed into the top floor of the glass terminal. It has to be 85+ F in the lounges most of the year -- it is simply a poorly designed terminal. Most of NRT is aging (certainly much older than TPE T2), and I believe they still have those ancient Northwest-era gates.
NRT is certainly not modern, and it must be a terrible airport to transit through if you don't have lounge access and your layover is >2hrs. No Plaza Premium type lounge option. 80-90% of concessions/food at NRT is landside. There isn't even really a food court airside (at least in T1). There are easily 2-3x as many options at TPE. I still like transiting thru NRT, because I like every little thing about Jpn and can also kill time at NH lounge.

Imo HKG>TPE>>NRT. I don't enjoy ICN, but that may be a personal thing. I haven't noticed the temperature issue up on the lounge mezzanine at HKG, but that may be because I look it hot. HKG is just more impressive and there's a pretty amazing array of food airside, everything from Popeyes to Tasty to Cafe Deco. But as I said before, things are too far apart at HKG depending on your gate. TPE is a fun airport, but I see what LAX/HKG is saying. I think I know the lounge elevator he was referring to.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Before this thread gets locked up: let's really focus on problems that can be solved. The TPE airport situation, that's definitely solvable, it's just the usual bureaucracy in the way.
The whole China Taiwan thing, do any of you really believe anything will change in this lifetime? And count me in the camp of "maintain the status quo," which does not mean Taiwan is an independent and sovereign nation, imo.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:00 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
A number of posts have been removed which dragged this thread off-topic and very firmly into OMNI/PR territory. Please contain discussions to the delights or otherwise of TPE airport, and not other governments' view of the relationship between Taiwan and China.

/mod
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Any faster getting into or out of TPE with an APEC card?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Any faster getting into or out of TPE with an APEC card?
Yes, but you need to work at it - arriving in the *A/BR terminal, enter the immigration hall and go all the way to furthest end, there is a special services counter that handles APEC/Diplomats and wheelchairs. Keep an eye on your spot if it's busy as some of the mainland Chinese people with strollers and kids may try and push in front of you, so just push them back and keep your place.

On the way out, there is a very well hidden entrance for the APEC/crew/diplomat line for security and immigration - when looking at the security entrance, walk towards it, go left and follow the wall (with security now behind you) until you see the hidden door with the little sign for crew/APEC and go in - after walking down the hall, they will check your boarding pass, passport and APEC card before the private security lane, and then you have a priority immigration lane right after - just be aware that if a crew comes in at the same time, they may make you wait until the crew group goes through.

Don't ask the airport staff for the APEC door, they will try and strong-arm you into the regular security line and will claim there is no APEC or priority service - ignore anyone who tries to steer you back to the main area.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
A number of posts have been removed which dragged this thread off-topic and very firmly into OMNI/PR territory. Please contain discussions to the delights or otherwise of TPE airport, and not other governments' view of the relationship between Taiwan and China.

/mod
We were definitely off-topic but the sad thing is that the governments' view of the relationship between Taiwan and Mainland also directly affect the airport. The airport would not have a capacity problem like they do now had the cold war between them continued
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by evergrn
NRT is certainly not modern, and it must be a terrible airport to transit through if you don't have lounge access and your layover is >2hrs. No Plaza Premium type lounge option. 80-90% of concessions/food at NRT is landside. There isn't even really a food court airside (at least in T1). There are easily 2-3x as many options at TPE. I still like transiting thru NRT, because I like every little thing about Jpn and can also kill time at NH lounge.

Imo HKG>TPE>>NRT. I don't enjoy ICN, but that may be a personal thing. I haven't noticed the temperature issue up on the lounge mezzanine at HKG, but that may be because I look it hot. HKG is just more impressive and there's a pretty amazing array of food airside, everything from Popeyes to Tasty to Cafe Deco. But as I said before, things are too far apart at HKG depending on your gate. TPE is a fun airport, but I see what LAX/HKG is saying. I think I know the lounge elevator he was referring to.
I also find NRT to be unreasonably hot, even in the winter. I much prefer TPE, and there are plenty more lounge options that I prefer at TPE vs NRT. If anything though, the temperature of NRT is unbearable to me and thus dislike the airport.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
I agree there are fun stores and interesting areas for families at TPE.

The food, however, is anything but tasty. Drink selection is also sparse. Both the Star and Infinity look dark and gloomy. I am not a fan of the neon lights as well.

Yes, the UA clubs in North America are nothing special. However, the ones in HKG and NRT are very good, IMO certainly better than the BR lounge in TPE.
Sorry I have to call bs.

I fly at least 100k miles per year. To say UA lounge in HKG and NRT is better than BR lounge is ridiculous. Other than much bigger space, the food in hkg and NRT are just not that good. BR caters to a lot more toward their Taiwanese customer base, hence for me the food and drinks are great. Even better than SQ in Changi and QR in Doha. BR showers are better. The only thing I don’t like BR is it just small.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by username
I think the biggest problem with the BR lounge compared with these "grand" lounges like CX in HKG is space, which is limited by the airport. Food is not bad and if there is more space to make grander presentation, then the food might taste better I think it is functional now and definitely better than many. I passed through the OZ in ICN once where I thought the space was grand but food offering was poor.
i totally agree with assessment on OZ. The space is huge but food is really really bad. The only thing that is really edible is instant noodle.

BR needs more space. But to me it’s okay. I prefer big shower room. This area BR beats SQ in changi.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by krispykrme
BR caters to a lot more toward their Taiwanese customer base, hence for me the food and drinks are great
I agree, I eat well at BR lounge(s) in TPE, and I'm MIT
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I also find NRT to be unreasonably hot, even in the winter. I much prefer TPE, and there are plenty more lounge options that I prefer at TPE vs NRT. If anything though, the temperature of NRT is unbearable to me and thus dislike the airport.
It's a Japanese cultural thing, there is no way around it. They like it warm - I've been on flights between NRT and TPE where the cabin temperature on NH had to have been 80F, but they insisted I take a blanket

I gave up taking showers in the NH lounge, even using cold water, by the time I finished, dried up and changed clothes, I was soaking wet again.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
+1. On sort of a related note, ICN is as well and for that matter, everywhere else in Seoul. I find myself having to take off my sweaters and long sleeved shirts because of poor ventilation (and that poor ventilation is done on purpose)
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by krispykrme
Sorry I have to call bs.

I fly at least 100k miles per year. To say UA lounge in HKG and NRT is better than BR lounge is ridiculous. Other than much bigger space, the food in hkg and NRT are just not that good. BR caters to a lot more toward their Taiwanese customer base, hence for me the food and drinks are great. Even better than SQ in Changi and QR in Doha. BR showers are better. The only thing I don’t like BR is it just small.
It's great if you like the food and beverages in the BR lounge. I don't. Taste is subjective, there's no need to be offensive with your remarks.

Besides, I never said the food at the UA lounges at HKG and NRT are better. I just said OVERALL I like those clubs better the BR lounge at TPE. You might value the offer of Taiwanese food over any other aspects of a lounge. I value space, ambiance and the presentation of food much higher.

There are so many good food options at HKG I don't even bother with the food in the lounge. If I feel like eating lounge food I usually head over to the SQ lounge in HKG for a cook-to-order bowl of noodles and a cocktail made by a bartender. And yes, IN MY OPINION that's better than the offerings at the BR lounge at TPE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.