Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

TPE Airport-disappointed

TPE Airport-disappointed

Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:54 pm

Departure/arrival immigration/security lines depend on how correlated your flight is with the major blocks of inbound/outbound flights. It can be 3 minutes or 45 minutes depending on your flight times. I've flown to TPE many times over the past 20 years and don't think I've ever waited longer than 45minutes.

In my experience, NRT/HND/ICN/HKG are all comparable and have the same variations.

Of course, for frequent travelers, at TPE you can apply for a free permit that gets you Fast track immigration and from gate to Xinyi hotels in <1hr including luggage pickup. I haven't seen this elsewhere in Asia and is far better than ICN or NRT... The same permit works for departures, but security is the bottleneck so it doesn't help much.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:58 pm

For those of you traveling more than three times a year, you could apply for a Speedy Immigration Inspection Certificat, which allows you using a speedy inspection counter at immigration. However, no hope to zap through security check, exiting from Taiwan, unless you have an APEC.

https://niaspeedy.immigration.gov.tw
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by akalra1187
Have you been to EY (F), EK, QR, LH (F), LX, or CX lounges?

The SQ lounge in TPE looks like a prison compared to them.
What an unnecessary comparison.

The SQ lounge has decent catering and a peaceful environment - not what you'd find in many TPE lounges. I don't get why you flamed the OP for judging the SKL on TPE standards, which is quite a low bar.

Of course those lounges you named are nicer. But to compare flagship F lounges with an outstation J lounge is just uncalled for.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SilverChris
What an unnecessary comparison.

The SQ lounge has decent catering and a peaceful environment - not what you'd find in many TPE lounges. I don't get why you flamed the OP for judging the SKL on TPE standards, which is quite a low bar.

Of course those lounges you named are nicer. But to compare flagship F lounges with an outstation J lounge is just uncalled for.
We both started in the EVA lounge, which should be their flagship. We both went across to the SQ lounge, which was quieter, but not exactly what I was expecting either.

You see, for an airline that serves foie gras, Grande Dame, Krug, Dom Perignon, has Rimowa amenity kits, gives high quality bedding, pyjamas etc. etc. the EVA lounge in TPE is a sad, sad joke.

Admittedly the SQ lounge is neither EVA's lounge nor a F lounge, but it also doesn't meet the expectations of someone travelling a product like Royal Laurel. If fact the contrast between both EVA's own lounge and other lounges RL passengers can use at TPE is stark.

Oh, and let's not get in to the F not J discussion please; RL is a hybrid of F & J. Most J classes do not offer prestige curvees, foie gras, pyjamas, face mist in bathrooms, Rimowa amenity kits, thick duvets, and such personalised service. Besides, EY, QR, EK, CX and I'd even say BA's J lounges put EVA's J lounge to shame, and yes I am talking about outstations, EY/QR/EK/CX lounges at LHR are all nice, especially QR's. Equally so at CDG and other airports.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:42 am

We both started in the EVA lounge, which should be their flagship. We both went across to the SQ lounge, which was quieter, but not exactly what I was expecting either.

You see, for an airline that serves foie gras, Grande Dame, Krug, Dom Perignon, has Rimowa amenity kits, gives high quality bedding, pyjamas etc. etc. the EVA lounge in TPE is a sad, sad joke.

Admittedly the SQ lounge is neither EVA's lounge nor a F lounge, but it also doesn't meet the expectations of someone travelling a product like Royal Laurel. If fact the contrast between both EVA's own lounge and other lounges RL passengers can use at TPE is stark.

Oh, and let's not get in to the F not J discussion please; RL is a hybrid of F & J. Most J classes do not offer prestige curvees, foie gras, pyjamas, face mist in bathrooms, Rimowa amenity kits, thick duvets, and such personalised service. Besides, EY, QR, EK, CX and I'd even say BA's J lounges put EVA's J lounge to shame, and yes I am talking about outstations, EY/QR/EK/CX lounges at LHR are all nice, especially QR's. Equally so at CDG and other airports.
EVA has face mist in economy too
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kpottermn
EVA has face mist in economy too
It's nice to have on a long flight.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold

Just to clear up something, I never said I was travelling on EVA Royal Laurel when I was making the comparison. I was flying on a different airline altogether.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mapleg
Just to clear up something, I never said I was travelling on EVA Royal Laurel when I was making the comparison. I was flying on a different airline altogether.

My mistake, although I will justify my comment as a fair assumption because

1. This is the EVA forum.
2. It’s primarily an EVA lounge and Star Alliance lounge second.
3. In my case I was flying EVA RL, so in experience the EVA lounge did not match up to the onboard experience.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold
My mistake, although I will justify my comment as a fair assumption because

1. This is the EVA forum.
2. Its primarily an EVA lounge and Star Alliance lounge second.
3. In my case I was flying EVA RL, so in experience the EVA lounge did not match up to the onboard experience.
No problem..I have used it a number of times flying EVA on RL, but not this time around! Have to "share the wealth" with more than one airline!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
I agree. The EVA lounges in TPE(Star and Infinity) are a joke, especially comparing to other *A hub lounges (except PEK). Furniture is worn and food is barely edible.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The BR lounge in BKK on the other hand is quite enjoyable — except for the headache-inducing funhouse mirrored decor, who thought that was a good idea?

Decent food and seating, plenty of electrical outlets, and large enough to comfortably shoulder the load.

I agree that the lounge situation in TPE is far less than ideal and does not live up to the standard set by RL. The food is, well, the word ‘slop’ sadly comes to mind. My wife and I have a decades-long running joke about it.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tai4de2
The BR lounge in BKK on the other hand is quite enjoyable except for the headache-inducing funhouse mirrored decor, who thought that was a good idea?

Decent food and seating, plenty of electrical outlets, and large enough to comfortably shoulder the load.

I agree that the lounge situation in TPE is far less than ideal and does not live up to the standard set by RL. The food is, well, the word slop sadly comes to mind. My wife and I have a decades-long running joke about it.
The BKK lounge, whilst a million times better than the TPE lounge, is probably the minimum benchmark for a J lounge. Not terrible like TPE but still not up to RL standards. My comments,

- The shower rooms are kept locked, I went to the door three separate times thinking someone was using it. Finally asked at the counter and they opened it for me, it was not in use they are just kept locked. Strange.

- The ventilation in the shower rooms is awful. Even after a warm shower you have to get dressed in a steam room like atomsphere.

- Alcohol selection is poor.

- No a la carte dining, although I will say the food on the buffet is of a good standard, the pad thai and pizza slices are nice. I know not healthy or gourmet options but they were indeed decent.

- The massage chair section is a nice touch.

- The lounge is kept at a comfortable temperature and generally its a comfortable environment.

Alll in all it is ok, but they should look to QR and EY for whats really expected.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
I agree. The EVA lounges in TPE(Star and Infinity) are a joke, especially comparing to other *A hub lounges (except PEK). Furniture is worn and food is barely edible.
Humm, I recall being in the International NH lounge @ HND and it wasn't all that memorable
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
I don't understand this obsession with comparing BR to first in every regard. Yes they do try to emulate first when possible, but their fare prices are no more than competing J products. How would it be economically feasible for Eva to maintain a F like product in every regard without increasing prices?

I'm willing to compromise on my lounge experience (and it's not too bad if you have access to their Garden lounge) if they keep up the excellent in flight experience.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:02 am

I have been trying to follow this thread because will be flying BR RL for first time to BKK in January. Which lounge would you suggest going to in TPE if the BR lounges are sub par?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.