Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Does US-TPE-HKG go through Customs in TPE or HKG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

I know Hong Kong is sorta-but-not-quite China, so would I need to do Customs upon landing in TPE, and then "domestic" flight to HKG, or is TPE-HPG an international leg and Customs is only at HKG?

Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
The sovereignty of Hong Kong and Taiwan could be argued differently depending on who you talk to. What won't be argued is that China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong each have their own immigration and customs processes to guard their borders. If you land in Taiwan you'll only go through immigration if you are staying in Taiwan. A domestic Taiwan flight is one that flies within the borders of Taiwan.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Moderator: please move this post out of the China forum and to the Asia forum

To the OP, you will go through Hong Kong (not China) immigration and customs upon arrival in Hong Kong. Connecting through Taipei, you will follow the signs for the transfer area, show your onward boarding pass, go through a quick transfer security check and be back upstairs to take your connecting flight.

You will never encounter China immigration or customs on this itinerary.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

(And sorry about putting in wrong forum.)
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by eDanK
Thank you!

(And sorry about putting in wrong forum.)
No worries - and if you have airline status, make time to visit one of the lounges at TPE, they (usually) always have a great selection of food and beverages.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
No worries - and if you have airline status, make time to visit one of the lounges at TPE, they (usually) always have a great selection of food and beverages.
Taiwan style Noodle bar and Kavalan
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:23 am

I know Hong Kong is sorta-but-not-quite China, so would I need to do Customs upon landing in TPE, and then "domestic" flight to HKG, or is TPE-HPG an international leg and Customs is only at HKG?

Thanks.
Wow, you are oblivious to everything that goes on there. China took back Hong Kong a few decades ago. So your first part is correct. But how did you ever think Taiwan to China would be domestic? Did you not notice they have different governments? What country has 2 presidents?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:27 pm

For the OP, they only need to be concerned with a 5 minute transit security connection at TPE airport, and immigration formalities in HK, operated by the HK government - which results in some surly, disinterested civil servant throwing some small piece of paper (the entry 'stamp') into your passport, handing it back and making a grouchy sound as you're waved away.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 5, 2017 at 1:59 am Reason: Redacted quote from deleted post and comment thereof
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by edsh
The sovereignty of Hong Kong and Taiwan could be argued differently depending on who you talk to. What won't be argued is that China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong each have their own immigration and customs processes to guard their borders. If you land in Taiwan you'll only go through immigration if you are staying in Taiwan. A domestic Taiwan flight is one that flies within the borders of Taiwan.
Yep, the signs for international terminals in Chinese airports always say "International, Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan".

Honestly, when I saw the title of this tread I half wondered if the OP was trolling the CCP!?

Last edited by onuhistorian0116; Oct 10, 2017 at 4:47 am
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:24 am

Actually, the ones I've seen say something like "International/Regional," with "regional" being a convenient short-hand for those cross-border flights to Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, "cross-border" being another occasional short-hand.

And on the other side, it's pretty common these days to use "Mainland China" or simply the "Mainland" to distinguish the part of China that's not Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan. So from Hong Kong, for example, you'd travel "up to the Mainland" not "up to China."

Up to you, of course, how orthodox you want to be on this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: pleb

Thanks.
OP you pretty much asked this same exact question back in April:

Would PVG-TPE-HKG go through immigration in TPE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.