Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bali - Volcano high risk

Bali - Volcano high risk

Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Now this is an airline taking care of its passengers. I guess it's not a perfect scenario, but if you have to get off of Bali then this isn't bad:

From SingaporeAirlines.com

"Singapore Airlines has arranged for customers to be transported via coaches and ferries from Bali to Surabaya, where they will be accommodated on flights to Singapore. The land journey from Bali to Surabaya will take approximately 18 hours. Efforts will be made to contact customers who have registered their mobile phone and email details with us. "

The transport departs at 0600. No word on how long they will continue this but I suppose it's either until SQ gets all the passengers off the island who want off (and had booked through SQ) or SQ limits it to a few days.

18 hours departing at 0600 is a midnight arrival. That means either a 1 or 2am departure to Singapore or an overnight in Surabaya. No word on the website whether SQ is putting people up in hotels and then flying the next morning or what.

And no word on people who need to get back to Bali being offered the reverse of the above.

Still a nice gesture from SQ.

-RM
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA
That IS good to know. Bali is a mess now with hysterical people stuck and finding out "trip insurance" is not a cure all. We will definitely use Singapore on our next trip to Indonesia.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Well I have a trip to Bali in very early January, and I think it is in serious doubt. Really don't know how long it will last, but I may have to look at alternative locations.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
The aiport's closure is extended until November 30th 7am.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Zolex
The aiport's closure is extended until November 30th 7am.
Thanks. Your source ? Have a honeymoon cpl in Bali right now !
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Well I have a trip to Bali in very early January, and I think it is in serious doubt. Really don't know how long it will last, but I may have to look at alternative locations.
I have a multi destination trip planned for Feb. Its for a special occasion and delays will mean losses on further flights and hotels. Is it better to pick another destination? Or is Feb plenty of time away for it to settle down?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I have a multi destination trip planned for Feb. Its for a special occasion and delays will mean losses on further flights and hotels. Is it better to pick another destination? Or is Feb plenty of time away for it to settle down?

I think you are going to have to assess the risks yourself in terms of the costs of any last-minute switches - you could reduce the risk by going for easily changed/cancelled flights and hotels as an insurance. If that would be too expensive then it might be better to simply go somewhere else. Because in truth no-one knows how long the rumbling will go on, and whether the rumbling will end with a bang or a whimper.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:32 am

thank for sharing
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I think you are going to have to assess the risks yourself in terms of the costs of any last-minute switches - you could reduce the risk by going for easily changed/cancelled flights and hotels as an insurance. If that would be too expensive then it might be better to simply go somewhere else. Because in truth no-one knows how long the rumbling will go on, and whether the rumbling will end with a bang or a whimper.
My thoughts exactly. Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by HMPS
Thanks. Your source ? Have a honeymoon cpl in Bali right now !
My source is Angkasa Pura 1. The operator of the airport. And as always in Indonesia, Instagram is a better source than any website . Try to follow the official ngurahraiairport account if it is important to you to have the latest updates.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by onlysuites
If you haven't already booked your flights, you might try to book them as one-ways, minimizing the issues to downstream segments. I just got back from Bali (we got out a day before the eruption) but were prepared to make last minute changes.

I was on a multi-city/segment itinerary. However, I booked it as a multi-city ticket that got me to Bali. Then, I had a multi-city ticket home from Jakarta. The Bali to Jakarta was a refundable one-way (tix are fairly inexpensive for this segment). This way, if something happened on our way there, we could have simply skipped the last segment of the outbound ticket and no other segments would have been cancelled. Additionally, I booked hotels on either end of the Bali portion of the trip to add days in case we skipped Bali at the same hotels, but under separate reservations. As it became close and we didn't need them, I cancelled those "contingency" nights at the last minute before any penalty was taken.

The only issue would have been if we were stuck on the island during an eruption - at worst, we would have to wrangle a bit with the downstream flights but had peace of mind for the first half of the trip and also wouldn't lose out if we had to make last-minute changes.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Global Entry, TSA Pre√
We cancelled our trip. We were supposed to leave yesterday JFK-AMS, then today AMS-SIN-DPS arriving tomorrow all on KLM. Trip was through December 14th. Glad we cancelled. While things might improve, it's not worth taking the chance of getting stuck somewhere. So far the cancelling of all the hotel and airfare reservations have gone smoothly with many hotels waiving the usual penalties.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
The westerly winds have come in early and are forecast to remain for over a week.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by TWAnonrev
We cancelled our trip. We were supposed to leave yesterday JFK-AMS, then today AMS-SIN-DPS arriving tomorrow all on KLM. Trip was through December 14th. Glad we cancelled. While things might improve, it's not worth taking the chance of getting stuck somewhere. So far the cancelling of all the hotel and airfare reservations have gone smoothly with many hotels waiving the usual penalties.
How disappointing.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:57 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The economic impact on Bali and their people has been huge ... over $100 million in lost tourist spending already from the volcano this year. Hard to judge the risk, but so far the disruption has been minimal with flight cnacellations being for only a few days. Worst case it could be another Krakatoa. Best case no further disruptions; both are unlikely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.