Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do any alliances still serve REP?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Do any alliances still serve REP?

I'm hoping to get an ex-NYC award flight to REP in November but so many of the airlines have dropped out of that airport that I don't even know who is left.

I know of Cathay/Cathay Dragon. Are there any other alliance-affiliated airlines that serve REP?

I usually get award flights from Bangkok, but on the way back I'd like to fly directly to REP so I can milk my full biz-class baggage allowance. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
China Eastern, China Southern, Xiamen, Vietnam Airlines - all Skyteam, and Malaysia Airlines but would need backtracking from KUL

Otherwise it's the LCC affiliates which may or may not be bookable with alliance partner miles - Thai Smile, Air Seoul, Jetstar, Silkair
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
China Eastern, China Southern, Xiamen, Vietnam Airlines - all Skyteam, and Malaysia Airlines but would need backtracking from KUL

Otherwise it's the LCC affiliates which may or may not be bookable with alliance partner miles - Thai Smile, Air Seoul, Jetstar, Silkair
Thanks. I guess I need to start collecting SkyTeam. None of those are very appealing options apart from MH.

As far as I know, Thai Smile, Air Seoul and Jetstar aren't bookable. I am not sure about Silkair. OZ leaving the market was a huge disappointment for us Reapers.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
You could just get an award to HKG or BKK and then buy a ticket to REP from there. Especially from BKK it won't be that expensive.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
You could just get an award to HKG or BKK and then buy a ticket to REP from there. Especially from BKK it won't be that expensive.
That's how I do my outbound flights.

On the way back, though, I like to bring a lot of stuff from the US to Cambodia. I get 2 bags flying USA to Asia, but if I have a different PNR from BKK to REP, I only get 1 bag. So I lose the option to buy another 10 cookbooks or whatever.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much does the extra bag on BKK-REP really cost?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
How much does the extra bag on BKK-REP really cost?
$8/kg. So if I fly economy that's $184 or business $256 (if I use the whole allowance). It's not nothing.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: most of them
The REP airport wiki shows you which airlines operate there
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siem_R...tional_Airport
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by giblet
$8/kg. So if I fly economy that's $184 or business $256 (if I use the whole allowance). It's not nothing.
checked bag on airasia 20 kg 600thb (25-700)
for $256 you can fly 5 rt there..
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Silk are part of Star Alliance

Just book your extra bags as part of your booking - costs next to nothing
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by adampenrith
Silk Air is owned by SQ which is a member of *A, but Silk Air is NOT a member of *A.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by giblet
I'm hoping to get an ex-NYC award flight to REP in November but so many of the airlines have dropped out of that airport that I don't even know who is left.

I know of Cathay/Cathay Dragon. Are there any other alliance-affiliated airlines that serve REP?

I usually get award flights from Bangkok, but on the way back I'd like to fly directly to REP so I can milk my full biz-class baggage allowance. Any suggestions?
It's not the answer you want to hear but with BR/NH from *A and QR/KA/MH OW (I can't help you with ST) you could fly into PNH and get a camry taxi. It's not a great scenario but it does get you in country.

Originally Posted by adampenrith
If only. MI being outside of *A has limited options regionally.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I'd recommend taking the train from Bangkok to the border, and hoping a bus or a 20 or 30 USD private taxi from the border to Siem Reap. I think the train ticket costs like 3 USD or something absurd like that.

The train goes through some beautiful country. Plus it is a good excuse to spend a couple of days in Bangkok, which is a pretty fun city.

If you the the luxury of time, of course.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
It's not the answer you want to hear but with BR/NH from *A and QR/KA/MH OW (I can't help you with ST) you could fly into PNH and get a camry taxi. It's not a great scenario but it does get you in country.
Depending on the season, another option is taking a 6 hour boat up the Mekong from Phnom Penh.

A few years ago, when I landed in Phnom Penh with the intention of traveling immediately on to Siem Reap, my hotel was unable to book a taxi for me, and I took the Mekong Express bus. I live in China, and Cambodia is a go destination (Koh Rong Island off the cost of Sinoukville is beautiful undeveloped jungle, that is the perfect antidote to living in dirty, polluted, and crowded Chinese cities). I have taken the Mekong Express bus 3 times, on various routes. From Phnom Penh to Siem Reap it takes about 6 or 7 hours and the bus is pretty comfortable.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37

MI being outside of *A has limited options regionally.
I know I am acting like Goldilocks here, but 6 hours in a Camry will not be good for the cheeses I hope to bring back.

I've booked a CX award flight to REP, not on my preferred date and not in my preferred class, but I'm crossing my fingers that something better will open up before then.

Silk Air isn't in *A but you can book Silk Air flights with SQ miles, so it is actually possible to get to REP that way. No availability when I checked, though.

Last edited by giblet; Oct 10, 2017 at 6:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.