Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Transit in TPE - time to hit night market?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

I am flying EVA to Singapore in September, and have an overnight in TPE - arrive at around 6 pm in the evening, and leave about 7:30 the next morning. I have a room booked at the airport novotel. Is it feasible to get through immigration, get checked in and then go into downtown Taipei in a reasonable amount of time?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
TPE immigration is usually quite fast - 10 -30 minutes for foreigners. A cab downtown
will be about 30 minutes. So yes, you will have plenty of time.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shouldn't be a problem, assuming there isn't a typhoon going through (like tomorrow).
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:25 am

Why Taipei and not the night markets in Taoyuan?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Because there is more information about the ones in Taipei. I haven't seen that much written about Taoyuan night markets. Any recomendations?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:24 am

The airport MRT pretty much takes you right to Zhong Li/Jhongli night market. 中壢觀光夜市

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...t-Taoyuan.html

Have you been to a Taiwanese night market before?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
The airport MRT pretty much takes you right to Zhong Li/Jhongli night market. 中壢觀光夜市

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...t-Taoyuan.html

Have you been to a Taiwanese night market before?
This is my first time in Taiwan, and thus also my first chance to visit one of the night markets! I like to do my planning by looking at various vlogs, and seeing the pepper buns at Raohe market got me interested! Following the suggestion yesterday I have been looking at night markets in Taoyun and Zhong Li looks like a good choice. Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by dalameda
This is my first time in Taiwan, and thus also my first chance to visit one of the night markets!
I found the night markets underwhelming in Taiwan (compared to other Asian countries). So don't get too hyped up.
I found they were mostly food and womens' clothes (I'm a man) with some other stuff mixed in.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I would very much encourage you to check one out during your layover.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Between Zhongli and Taoyuan night markets, I would choose Zhongli as it is a bit more organized and in my opinion cleaner plus it is easier to get to from the Novotel. You could enter the market on the north entrance and walk until the end then take a left and turn around and come back north with a stroll along the Laojie Creek. There are built in exercise areas along the way. The creek is not much to look at but they have made a nice bike/walking path along the creek and it is a relaxing walk after tasting all the goodies at the night market.
This also heads back toward the MRT. https://travel.tycg.gov.tw/en-us/Pla...tractions/1027

Getting to Taoyuan night market is tougher as the HSR is not near downtown and the MRT does not reach Taoyuan proper and you would need a bus or cab. The night market is on Zhongzheng Road which is a busy road and while Taoyuan has improved their infrastructure over the years, it is still a good example of what goes wrong when there is zero urban planning. Zhongli recently has spent time/money on trying to make itself a destination.

Given you are staying at the airport, you could check out the Sea Goddess temple in Zhongli as it is worth maybe 30 minutes.

Of course, going into Taipei allows you to check out Taipei 101 (observatory open until 10 pm) and the Raohe night market as well but I would taxi between the two as it is a 40 minute walk and there is no good way to get from one to the other on the MRT. This will be a bit more hectic than going to Zhongli, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.