Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Immigration Denpasar airport - VIP service needed?

Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Dear All

I'll be arriving mid of August (Wednesday) at 550am from Kuala Lumpur into Denpasar airport.

My hotel offers me a VIP immigration service stating that 'it will only take 20min compared to 2hrs and removing language barriers'.

Does anyone know if immigration is really that bad?

My thought is that it won't be worse than JFK without Global Entry and that I can save the 40GBP per person; especially given the time of our arrival.

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
One month ago it took 15 min to clear immigration. If you have APEC card - it takes less than 3 min.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
All depends on the time of day. 550am should be fine.

The other day however at 2pm I waited 30 minutes in the resident / citizen line! The VOA line was easily 2 hours.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Imo it would be a total waste of money. You should get through immigration fairly quick at that time.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I've been to many countries. Denpasar was the easiest immigration, which I even blurted out to them. Literally handed them my passport and it was stamped and returned in almost the same motion.

BUT...

The cabs were the worst of the worst. A ride that should have been about 200k IDR was quoted as 800 IDR by multiple cab drivers. Ultimately I got one down to 300k, but he tried to charge 400k when we got to the hotel.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
BUT...

The cabs were the worst of the worst. A ride that should have been about 200k IDR was quoted as 800 IDR by multiple cab drivers. Ultimately I got one down to 300k, but he tried to charge 400k when we got to the hotel.
Aaah the Balinese taxi maffia... Insist on using 'argo' (meter)! I've once threatened to call BlueBird (the largest taxi company in Indonesia) with his taxi number etc. because he refused it. He quickly changed his mind. Of course speaking some Indonesian also helps, but keep insisting. The metered price is ALWAYS less than what they propose and they are obliged to use it.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:09 am

Regarding taxi from DPS - there is several page thread about using Uber in Bali. Read it to get some idea what are your options.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:41 am

You NEVER make a deal with the taxi driver directly. There are official taxi stands at both the domestic and international arrival areas with fixed prices based on destinations posted for all to see and you do not pay directly to the driver.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Zolex
Aaah the Balinese taxi maffia... Insist on using 'argo' (meter)! I've once threatened to call BlueBird (the largest taxi company in Indonesia) with his taxi number etc. because he refused it. He quickly changed his mind. Of course speaking some Indonesian also helps, but keep insisting. The metered price is ALWAYS less than what they propose and they are obliged to use it.
Let me know if you figure out how to catch a meter taxi from DPS. I would truly be interested.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Let me know if you figure out how to catch a meter taxi from DPS. I would truly be interested.
Quoting myself from another thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28439792-post70.html
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
A few weeks ago it took me over an hour to get thru customs at 2 or 3 pm. Tons of planes arriving at once so even being at the front of the plane didn't help.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Zolex
I could not get Uber, nor could I get a taxi to use a meter. I finally just decided I was going to be ripped off, so I needed the smallest rip-off possible. After I got to the hotel, it was Uber only.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:40 am

I could not get Uber
You can get uber/crab if you cross the road and go to a hotel lobby and request from there, but not at the DPS itself.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
My mistake, I was thinking about BlueBird at CGK, BlueBird is only allowed to drop passengers at departures at DPS. I usually use Uber to get from the aiport to my destination. They will most likely ask you to go to departures area.

Anyway, my advice still stands for the rest of Bali, only use BlueBird and insist on using meter.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
You can get uber/crab if you cross the road and go to a hotel lobby and request from there, but not at the DPS itself.
Thank you. Will do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.