Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

How much would living 3months in Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam cost during Dec-Feb?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much would living 3months in Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam cost during Dec-Feb?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by snail
I'm a Single male (no kids), mid-40s, and only speak English.

I'm tired of winters in the US and am thinking about living in a warm but cheap country during that time when I retire in a couple of years.

Which SE Asia cities can a English only speaker get by for 3months?
And how much would it cost to live there during Dec-Feb?

thx
If you are willing to live outside the central districts, however, a similar one-bedroom apartment costs only about $255 per month. Rental prices are substantially cheaper farther north in Chiang Rai. Most expatriates who eat meals primarily at home should be able to dine very well on less than $200 per month.

Other basic living expenses such as household cleaning products and personal hygiene products are less costly. You can buy plenty for these items in $50 to $100.

If you want to get detailed information about living cost in these 3 countries. These below links will give you more ideas:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...untry=Cambodia
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...ayCurrency=USD
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...ayCurrency=USD
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:31 am

Malaysia has one of the best retirement plans in the world. Also best condition of living to cost ratio, in the region. Don't know in the future but currency ratio now is quite favourable too. Never been to Borneo yet but must be a very fascinating place to visit.

Last edited by MixalisK.; Jul 30, 2017 at 11:56 am
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
edsh

I'm a Single male (no kids), mid-40s, and only speak English.

I'm tired of winters in the US and am thinking about living in a warm but cheap country during that time when I retire in a couple of years.

Which SE Asia cities can a English only speaker get by for 3months?
And how much would it cost to live there during Dec-Feb?

thx
What's you maximum budget? Everyone's idea of 'cheap' is different. Start with your 3 month trip: after you factor in roughly $800 for international air, how much do you have remaining for lodging, food, and local transportation.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by MixalisK.
Malaysia has one of the best retirement plans in the world.
Requirement for people younger than 50 to park USD >$120K in a bank and show proof that you have monthly income of USD $2.5K is probably is not 'best of the world'....
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by MixalisK.
Malaysia has one of the best retirement plans in the world. Also best condition of living to cost ratio, in the region. Don't know in the future but currency ratio now is quite favourable too. Never been to Borneo yet but must be a very fascinating place to visit.
Very thick with bugs. Drop a cake crumb even in a 5* hotel and the ants will find it.

The preserved areas have some of the oldest forests in the world, with very extensive root systems. Unfortunately way too much prime land has already been converted to palm oil plantations, and there are other major environmental concerns.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by invisible
Requirement for people younger than 50 to park USD >$120K in a bank and show proof that you have monthly income of USD $2.5K is probably is not 'best of the world'....
They're suspicious of anyone under 50 because they think the person might be running away from something.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 1, 2017 at 4:10 am Reason: OT political comment removed by moderator
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bwiadca
If I was in position as OP, I would do 1 month in Thailand, 1 month in Vietnam and 1 month in Cambodia or Malaysia.
where can I stay for just a month at a time?
extended stay hotels?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

This is important - with the limited mobility and requirement to get from place to place on car/taxis cost of living most likely will increase substantially.

Recommendation about Arizona should not be dismissed as trolling. It might will be the best recommendation with the set restrictions.
no public transportation (buses) in major SE asia cities?

hm.. never thought of phoenix for the winter.
just thought any major US city would be relatively expensive compared to SE asia for the winter?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:50 pm

extended stay hotels?
AirBnB is your friend for one month rental, but I would only consider properties which >50 4.5 star ratings and only places when can rent the whole apartment/home, not a room. You also need to make sure to communicate with the host in advance and clear all questions.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:07 pm

Seems you need to do some reading and research before embarking on such adventure. Moreover - if you decide to spend 3 month in Asia, I would suggest first to go on trial Asia trip for a month, moving from place to place and spending 10 days in in one place to get some understanding.

Short and direct answer - outside of Singapore and Hong Kong (which are outside of your price range) public transport is for poor people who do not have money to buy/move by car. So they have to endure buses/trains where they are available (in most cases they simply don't exist). Public transport in most (all) places is not clean (to be polite in this expression) and in number of places do not have air conditioning either. Also crime - pickpocket and bag/backpack snatching is common thing.

Seriously, why don't you start reading wikivoyage on relevant cities/regions to get some understanding? Then come here to ask specific questions.

just thought any major US city would be relatively expensive compared to SE asia for the winter?
You need to make a list what is important for you in terms of priority and only after that things can have price tags, like:
- language barrier
- access to quality medical care
- ability to move from place to place and using what means
- ability to eat familiar food
- lodging requirements (noise/amenities, etc)
- social life
- internet connectivity
- environment (air/water quality, access to parks/nature/beaches)
- etc, etc, etc

Otherwise going to Asia with 'oh, let me go live in Asia for three month because I hate winter in US' - culture and other shocks are guaranteed.

Last edited by invisible; Aug 1, 2017 at 9:12 pm
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:31 am

just thought any major US city would be relatively expensive compared to SE Asia for the winter?
It all comes down to your lifestyle.
Can you live in Bangkok cheaper than Phoenix? Yes.
Can you live in Phoenix cheaper than Bangkok? Yes.

Your health insurance might not cover medical issues when overseas, or you might have to prepay and get reimbursed when you come back to the USA.

I assume you already own a car? You can bring that car with you to Arizona. You could easily spend $2-$20 per day on taxis/subway in SE Asia, especially if you have some issues with walking long distances on uneven walkways.

I agree with what others said. Take a 30-60 day trip to SE Asia. Stay in a few cities for a week each. See how you feel. If you need some advice on which cities in certain countries, then just ask us.

Otherwise going to Asia with 'oh, let me go live in Asia for three month because I hate winter in US' - culture and other shocks are guaranteed.
Or worse
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

You're getting some misleading advice in this thread. You can live quite comfortably in N/NE Thailand for $1500-2000/month (many do so for less), including lodging, and no, you won't have to walk everywhere.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
You're getting some misleading advice in this thread. You can live quite comfortably in N/NE Thailand for $1500-2000/month (many do so for less), including lodging, and no, you won't have to walk everywhere.
The problem is that the OP hasn't told us much about himself. For all we know he might have never been to SE Asia before.

I don't think the advice is misleading, it's just specific to a certain situation.

We're all just throwing out random ideas. $1500-2000/month is doable on probably 90% of the planet.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:22 am

thats why agents are for. They make up for you if dont keep up with requirements.
The 120k gives u a decent 4% interest which will cover your rent. My girlfriend pays 260 euros and gets a large brand new studio with pool, parking, gym ,24 security in an area with 5 star hotels and golf course.
If retirement plan is still not a option no problem. My friend did the 3 months in, one week out for 8 years and never faced a single problem.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:25 am

extended stay hotels?
ibilik.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.