FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   How much would living 3months in Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam cost during Dec-Feb? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/1855608-how-much-would-living-3months-thailand-cambodia-vietnam-cost-during-dec-feb.html)

Diplomatico Jul 25, 17 8:26 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 28603770)
Better than in Singapore where English is the primary language?

The OP asked for a "warm but cheap" place in SE Asia. Does Singapore qualify for that definition in your opinion? If not, then it's irrelevant to the thread.

CrazyInteg Jul 25, 17 8:36 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28603809)
Thailand

If you stay under three months, you can probably avoid visa requirements, but doing this too many times might raise questions about whether you're working illegally, including over the internet.

One visa per year will raise questions? 60 day tourist visa plus 30 day extension.

Flying Machine Jul 25, 17 9:22 am

Originally Posted by maverick17 (Post 28604428)
I live in Saigon. The housing can vary from $300 a month for a room, or $400 a month for a furnished apartment in the suburbs, on up to $1000 a month or more for a nice place downtown. Internet I pay $13 a month for fast enough to stream sports and tv online. Mobile I pay about $5 a month for 450 mb data and texts. Electricity is $20 a month without A/C, I only prefer fans. With A/C will get you up to maybe 60 or 75 a month. Food budget can be cheap if you want to, around 5 bucks a day, on up for eating out a lot or whatnot. Consider the visa cost where you go and if you have to exit the country or can stay the whole three months. Uber, taxis and walking is all very easy in Vietnam. Renting a motorbike is about $50 a month, but please don't do it unless you are very careful and learn the rules (which many tourists don't realize exist).

Great post about a great city. Very concise and relevant and on point. Al I could add is the vibrancy of the city. E visa for USA Passports is $25. A quick trip to Cambodia by bus with Visa arranged by Bus for about $50 will solve your Vietnam Visa stay issues.a fun trip too.

889 Jul 25, 17 7:25 pm

Your money will probably go farthest in Indonesia, and you'll get pretty good value for it. Given you don't seem to have much experience living in Asia, touristy but comfy Bali might be just the place for you, probably somewhere around Ubud. Indonesia's a bad choice if you might need good healthcare, though.

Finally, don't ignore the earlier comment about walking. If you're a drive-everywhere type with a foot problem, then Asia just about anywhere may be a bad fit for you.

invisible Jul 26, 17 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 28604861)
The OP asked for a "warm but cheap" place in SE Asia. Does Singapore qualify for that definition in your opinion? If not, then it's irrelevant to the thread.

Your reply was

They speak English quite possibly better than anywhere else in Asia.
'anywhere else' in relation to Asia includes anything starting from Turkey and ending to Papua.

invisible Jul 26, 17 1:23 am

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 28607515)
If you're a drive-everywhere type with a foot problem, then Asia just about anywhere may be a bad fit for you.

This is important - with the limited mobility and requirement to get from place to place on car/taxis cost of living most likely will increase substantially.

Recommendation about Arizona should not be dismissed as trolling. It might will be the best recommendation with the set restrictions.

helloVietnam Jul 27, 17 4:58 am

Originally Posted by snail (Post 28592362)
I'm a Single male (no kids), mid-40s, and only speak English.

I'm tired of winters in the US and am thinking about living in a warm but cheap country during that time when I retire in a couple of years.

Which SE Asia cities can a English only speaker get by for 3months?
And how much would it cost to live there during Dec-Feb?

thx

Welcome to Vietnam holiday. Nha Trang Beach, Da Nang, Hue, Ho Chi Minh, Phu Quoc is warm. You should try to live in there.

JetSetDave Jul 28, 17 9:19 am

Originally Posted by helloVietnam (Post 28613985)
Welcome to Vietnam holiday. Nha Trang Beach, Da Nang, Hue, Ho Chi Minh, Phu Quoc is warm. You should try to live in there.

If walking is an issue, I recommend Da Nang for various reasons. The traffic is nowhere like HCMC and you can get around easily by renting or owning a motorbike. The municipal government laws are more relaxed there, hence more Western like than other parts of Vietnam. You can visit Hue and Hoi An while living there.

MSPeconomist Jul 28, 17 9:29 am

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 28607515)
Your money will probably go farthest in Indonesia, and you'll get pretty good value for it. Given you don't seem to have much experience living in Asia, touristy but comfy Bali might be just the place for you, probably somewhere around Ubud. Indonesia's a bad choice if you might need good healthcare, though.

Finally, don't ignore the earlier comment about walking. If you're a drive-everywhere type with a foot problem, then Asia just about anywhere may be a bad fit for you.

Bali is more expensive than many of the other places being considered.

Jaimito Cartero Jul 28, 17 9:49 am

Housing is likely your biggest expense. If you can rent a house or apartment for $300-400 a month, then $1500 per month will probably keep you comfortable.

I've been to every country mentioned, and never had much of a problem communicating. A simple phrasebook works well, along with a smile, and maybe a translation app.

I think Bali or Thailand would be the easiest. I think Thailand gives 60-90 day entry, so probably the easiest. Getting around by motorcycle, taxi or Uber is fairly affordable. It can be quite hot during the day, but if you come out at night, it's not bad.

Singapore is fine for a short visit, but it gets expensive quickly, and a bit boring, imho. Malaysia for a week or two, could be good. Vietnam might work out, but I found less English there than most other SE Asian countries.

My first visit to Indonesia was in 2004, for a month. I stayed in Bali for most of it. I spent about $25-30 per day, including food/housing. It was one of my best trips, ever.

cslewis Jul 28, 17 10:33 am

A friend of mine did 1 month in Thailand with his girlfriend for around 2000 euros and i know it was not on the cheap side of travelling, he likes his food and his comfort

bwiadca Jul 28, 17 12:19 pm

If I was in position as OP, I would do 1 month in Thailand, 1 month in Vietnam and 1 month in Cambodia or Malaysia.

CrazyInteg Jul 28, 17 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 28619696)
If I was in position as OP, I would do 1 month in Thailand, 1 month in Vietnam and 1 month in Cambodia or Malaysia.

Every year or just for the first year to figure out what he likes?

Flying Machine Jul 28, 17 1:51 pm

Hopefully the OP will come back and give the thread some direction. Many good posts too..

bwiadca Jul 28, 17 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg (Post 28619975)
Every year or just for the first year to figure out what he likes?

It depends how adventurous the OP is. If he likes the same old over and over again he can commit to one place.
If I haven't been to SE Asia, and I had to make decision where to stay for longer period of time, I would definitely stay at few places for couple of weeks to figure out which place I like the most.