Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Malaysia

I'm staying in K.L. for 2 1/2 weeks at the end of August. I was thinking of doing 3-4 days in George Town as I'm into colonial history and architecture.

Does anyone have recommendations for transport? I'm open to driving but Malaysia seems to have a good train system. If it makes a difference, I have Hertz President's Circle status.

By the way, I'm flying into Singapore. I was going to take a low-cost carrier from SIN-KUL but I suppose I could drive from Singapore. Is that practical?

I also thought about taking off for 2-3 days and easier doing Burma or Cambodia. Has anyone else done this?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I've done the train from KL to Bangkok once (changing in Butterworth, near Georgetown) and it's fine, though I'd be partial to a 24-seat VIP bus for a route like KL-Penang.

The big thing about KL, though, is that it's the biggest hub for Air Asia, which has cheap flights all over Malaysia and southeast Asia out of KL. I know Cambodia is definitely do-able that way and Burma probably is as well. Once you look at sidetrip possibilities you're spoiled for choice.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
What's a VIP bus?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:18 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What's a VIP bus?
Not your regular coach seating, but equivalent to US airline's FC or better seating, sometimes on longhaul even seats that convert to lie flat bed.

You won't see that in US or Canada (that I'm aware of), but are available in South America and Asia, possibly other continents.

OK, having typed that, Vonlane in Texas has this type of VIP bus, alas only domestic FC equivalent on a handful of Texas routes, including a ride attendant, for just a bit more than what it would cost to fly coach. Who knows, there may be others ....
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Regarding driving: if you are flying to Singapore and then need to spend two weeks to Malaysia, then you want to rent car at KL.

Renting car at Singapore and then driving to Malaysia with additional mandatory insurance requirements will cost you SIN $100 and higher per day. And you must bring car back - no one way rentals.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Regarding driving: if you are flying to Singapore and then need to spend two weeks to Malaysia, then you want to rent car at KL.

Renting car at Singapore and then driving to Malaysia with additional mandatory insurance requirements will cost you SIN $100 and higher per day. And you must bring car back - no one way rentals.
How civilized is the driving in Malaysia?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Not your regular coach seating, but equivalent to US airline's FC or better seating, sometimes on longhaul even seats that convert to lie flat bed.

You won't see that in US or Canada (that I'm aware of), but are available in South America and Asia, possibly other continents.

OK, having typed that, Vonlane in Texas has this type of VIP bus, alas only domestic FC equivalent on a handful of Texas routes, including a ride attendant, for just a bit more than what it would cost to fly coach. Who knows, there may be others ....
That's crazy.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:00 am

That's crazy.
For a minute thought you were answering your own question

SEA driving in general is rather crazy, but happens every day. I for one would not drive there, but have friends who live and drive. I am also MUCH more careful as a pedestrian
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

I personally rented car in Malaysia number of times and had no problems. I WOULD NOT do the same in Indonesia and Vietnam.

You can google 'List of countries by traffic-related death rate' and look at Malaysia statistics. Will give you some thoughts.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:54 pm

About two years ago, I did the train from the Sentral KL station to Butterworth; "first class", but prior to the new ETS trains. It was an experience going through the Malaysian countryside. The issue is that I arrived in Butterworth after dark and there was some question about the ferry schedule. I would have had to walk from the Butterworth station, to the ferry landing, basically in the dark; so I chose a taxi instead. The taxi ride to Georgetown was lengthy and relatively expensive.

Also, I thought that I'd make the return trip. I took the ferry to the train station (during the day) to buy a return ticket two days in advance and the train was sold out, both first and second class, for something like 4 days. I ended up using Air Asia to return to KL.

That said, the train station in Butterworth is brand new and it appeared that the train system was upping its game - hence the new ETS trains.

Just know how you'll get from Butterworth to Georgetown upon arrival.

(I do recall something about the ability to take the train from Singapore to Butterworth with a quick stop at the border.)
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Not quite as civilised (or predictable) as what you'd find in most western countries. The roads may not be as nicely designed, many motorists treat traffic rules as suggestions, and many practices are different from what you'd find in North America.

For instance, pedestrians don't get the right of way, you can't make the equivalent of a right turn on red, motorcyclists can be erratic (hit one and you're in big trouble), and parking can be quite random (i.e, almost anywhere you like, even if it blocks an entire lane of a busy road). Plus, Malaysia and Singapore drive on the left

You might survive driving in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore which are more civilised, but I wouldn't try it in Georgetown unless you're used to such driving conditions.

KL and Georgetown are quite easy to navigate around without a car. Uber and Grabcar (the SE Asian competitor) are reliable and quite cheap. Getting between SIN, KUL and PEN is quite easy by train, bus or flight. I wouldn't rent a car from SIN to KUL as cross-border rentals can be quite expensive.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by EmailKid

Thanks for the Vonlane link...interesting info
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by quarryking
Thanks for the Vonlane link...interesting info
Happy to do it.

The things you learn in Asia forum, eh
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Not quite as civilised (or predictable) as what you'd find in most western countries. The roads may not be as nicely designed, many motorists treat traffic rules as suggestions, and many practices are different from what you'd find in North America.

For instance, pedestrians don't get the right of way, you can't make the equivalent of a right turn on red, motorcyclists can be erratic (hit one and you're in big trouble), and parking can be quite random (i.e, almost anywhere you like, even if it blocks an entire lane of a busy road). Plus, Malaysia and Singapore drive on the left

You might survive driving in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore which are more civilised, but I wouldn't try it in Georgetown unless you're used to such driving conditions.

KL and Georgetown are quite easy to navigate around without a car. Uber and Grabcar (the SE Asian competitor) are reliable and quite cheap. Getting between SIN, KUL and PEN is quite easy by train, bus or flight. I wouldn't rent a car from SIN to KUL as cross-border rentals can be quite expensive.
+1 to this. Georgetown has VERY compact roads. I wouldn't try to drive through the heritage area, though the roads out towards Tanjung Bungah and Batu Ferringhi much more modern (read: wider).
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:43 pm

We are going to stay in Georgetown end of August for a few days after a 4 week trip through Sulawesi. Going through KL with frequent and cheap flights to Penang seems to be the best option. Staying at Campbell House in Georgetown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.