FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Yangon, Myanmar - Q&A local info from a long term expat (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/1850909-yangon-myanmar-q-local-info-long-term-expat.html)

seavisionburma Jun 30, 2017 9:02 am

Yangon, Myanmar - Q&A local info from a long term expat

Resident in Yangon for many years as an expat.

Happy to field answers on local transport and other stuff, where to go, people to do, places to see etc

Fire away.
I work remotely at times, so I can't respond immediately always, but will do my best

Cheers
SVB

Grilling101 Jun 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Thanlyin (Syriam)

Hey! I'm a Pakistani citizen trying to track down my dad's long-lost family in Thanlyin.Is there any way in which you can help me?

seavisionburma Jul 1, 2017 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Grilling101 (Post 28506312)
Hey! I'm a Pakistani citizen trying to track down my dad's long-lost family in Thanlyin.Is there any way in which you can help me?

Sorry, no I cannot help with this

nldogbert Jan 2, 2018 8:19 am

Hi,

I will be visiting Yangon next month with my mother. Since I want to have as less hassle as possible with taxis and transportation (haggling for price, getting multiple offers) when going from 1 place to another, I was thinking to hire a private car with driver for ~8 hours for 2 days (will be there for 3 days). Do you know
a) prices for such service?
b) any good recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!

glennaa11 Jan 2, 2018 3:12 pm

seems like the sort of thing pretty much any travel agency would be able to arrange for you...or perhaps your hotel depending on where you're staying.

I had a private guide/driver when I was there. But the cost was all wrapped up in the overall package...and it was several years ago now anyway

seavisionburma Jan 3, 2018 6:27 am

Hi nldogbert

Very straightforward to get a car and driver for the 2 days you need in Yangon.
Standard day is 8 hours, which will cost around 60,000 kyats to 80,000 kyats (USD$45-60)

Car quality has improved in the last 3-4 years, but still best to compare whats available is there can still be quite a difference between vehicle quality.

I can recommend a driver who speaks impeccable English and is reliable with a late model vehicle, if needed send me a PM

As a tip - on arrival into Yangon International Airport, there are fixed prices for the taxis at an approved counter as you come through the arrivals area.
If you find a good driver there and are happy with the trip, ask them for their card. If they are not available for day hire they will put you in touch with someone who can assist also.

Best to get a local sim card on arrival for communicating with the driver and making pick ups easier. Local chat apps used here are Line, Viber and Whatsapp - so if you have any of those its easy to stay in touch with your driver also

Good luck

puchong Jan 3, 2018 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Grilling101 (Post 28506312)

I do not think you can achieve much from outside Burma. If you were to visit Rangoon & Thanlyin, your best bet would be to check with the various mosques there (e.g. Dargah Masjid or the Kone Tan Masjid) whether someone can give you any leads. If your father (or his family) was from undivided India, you can also check with the ethnic mosques like the Surati Masjid (Rangoon) or the Bengali masjid in downtown Rangoon. Much of the population is dispersed into townships, but the mosques get lots of visitors during Friday prayers. You would be surprised with how many people still have connections with India, Pakistan & Ceylon.

jmj9905 Aug 30, 2018 6:11 pm

seavisionburma my wifeand I, as well as two friends will be in Yangon in early Oct. Any upscale restaurant reccomendations?

seavisionburma Aug 30, 2018 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by jmj9905 (Post 30150220)
seavisionburma my wifeand I, as well as two friends will be in Yangon in early Oct. Any upscale restaurant reccomendations?

Hi jmj9905

Worth having a good look through all of the reviews on the locally produced dining and bar guide - myanmore.com
It has the best info on all restaurant options for Yangon

Staple upscale spots are:
- Padonmar
- Le Planteur
- Rangoon Tea House
- Burma Bistro (new)
- Shan Yoe Yar in Lanmadaw

But the myanmore site will be a good starting point

jmj9905 Aug 31, 2018 5:42 pm

seavisionburma thanks. That's a big help.

Amelorn Nov 16, 2018 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by seavisionburma (Post 28504445)
Resident in Yangon for many years as an expat.

Happy to field answers on local transport and other stuff, where to go, people to do, places to see etc

Fire away.
I work remotely at times, so I can't respond immediately always, but will do my best

Cheers
SVB

Any thoughts on Japanese food in Yangon? I am visiting a friend working there. We're both mad for good sushi, he loves Yamazaki, and I'll "appreciate" a good sake menu.

I will probably want to hire a driver for a day (Monday or Tuesday). I am assuming it's "find taxi in decent condition, negotiate day rate, move on." What's the etiquette in terms of when to pay? I haven't hired a chartered a car like this before.

seavisionburma Nov 17, 2018 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Amelorn (Post 30438288)
Any thoughts on Japanese food in Yangon? I am visiting a friend working there. We're both mad for good sushi, he loves Yamazaki, and I'll "appreciate" a good sake menu.

I will probably want to hire a driver for a day (Monday or Tuesday). I am assuming it's "find taxi in decent condition, negotiate day rate, move on." What's the etiquette in terms of when to pay? I haven't hired a chartered a car like this before.

For Japanese restaurants, there is no shortage of quality options around yangon, but it will depend on what part of the city you're staying. Traffic is bad from one side of the city to another so best work out where you are first
Check on Myanmore.com for restaurant reviews

Yes, find a taxi you like and then work out a day rate. Pay at the end of each day usually. Drivers tend to be polite, friendly and very helpful
Grab taxi is the dominant ride app to use in Yangon and it's also a good way to find a driver

Amelorn Nov 17, 2018 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by seavisionburma (Post 30438524)
For Japanese restaurants, there is no shortage of quality options around yangon, but it will depend on what part of the city you're staying. Traffic is bad from one side of the city to another so best work out where you are first
Check on Myanmore.com for restaurant reviews

Yes, find a taxi you like and then work out a day rate. Pay at the end of each day usually. Drivers tend to be polite, friendly and very helpful
Grab taxi is the dominant ride app to use in Yangon and it's also a good way to find a driver

Music to my ears! I am already an avid grab user when in an applicable country, so that's a good tip.

I am booked at the Chatrium. Friend recommended the Chatrium or the Strand. As I was able to get a B&B rate w/ late checkout at the Chatrium for US$82++ versus over $300 at the Strand...well...the marginal value of those extra $220 per night! Also, I had been reading good things about the Chatrium's Japanese restaurant, Kohaku. I didn't bother with club access as I'll be in town Dec 7 to 11 and hobknobbing with the friend Friday to Sunday, so not much lounge quality time.

Myanmore is suggesting that I am spoilt for choice in the solid-to-excellent Japanese arena. Here in Kunming, it's is a sushi desert....

I'll have to figure out where my friend is. He works for a Chinese agricultural chemical company. I can ask him when he stops in Kunming this week.

seavisionburma Nov 18, 2018 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Amelorn (Post 30441010)
Music to my ears! I am already an avid grab user when in an applicable country, so that's a good tip.

I am booked at the Chatrium. Friend recommended the Chatrium or the Strand. As I was able to get a B&B rate w/ late checkout at the Chatrium for US$82++ versus over $300 at the Strand...well...the marginal value of those extra $220 per night! Also, I had been reading good things about the Chatrium's Japanese restaurant, Kohaku. I didn't bother with club access as I'll be in town Dec 7 to 11 and hobknobbing with the friend Friday to Sunday, so not much lounge quality time.

Myanmore is suggesting that I am spoilt for choice in the solid-to-excellent Japanese arena. Here in Kunming, it's is a sushi desert....

I'll have to figure out where my friend is. He works for a Chinese agricultural chemical company. I can ask him when he stops in Kunming this week.

Chatrium for $82++ is a no-brainer!
Easy Grab ride from there to downtown too

Myanmore is a pretty great source of info!!

Itadakimasu! Enjoy your Japanese food....

Amelorn Nov 18, 2018 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by seavisionburma (Post 30441466)
Chatrium for $82++ is a no-brainer!
Easy Grab ride from there to downtown too

Myanmore is a pretty great source of info!!

Itadakimasu! Enjoy your Japanese food....

It seemed so. The pool looks magnificent @ the Chatrium. I also looked at the Sule Shangri La (formerly Trader's for anyone else reading this and other Burma-threads) and the Pan Pacific. The Shangri La's furnishings looked a comparatively dated versus the Pan Pacific or Chatrium. The Pan Pacific was $120++ without certain inclusions given in the Chatrium's (breakfast, early check-in, late checkout, in-house dining discounts, and daily comped minibar benefits). Out of curiosity, what properties would you recommend friends/family/etc visiting RGN?