Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yangon, Myanmar - Q&A local info from a long term expat

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Amelorn
It seemed so. The pool looks magnificent @ the Chatrium. I also looked at the Sule Shangri La (formerly Trader's for anyone else reading this and other Burma-threads) and the Pan Pacific. The Shangri La's furnishings looked a comparatively dated versus the Pan Pacific or Chatrium. The Pan Pacific was $120++ without certain inclusions given in the Chatrium's (breakfast, early check-in, late checkout, in-house dining discounts, and daily comped minibar benefits). Out of curiosity, what properties would you recommend friends/family/etc visiting RGN?
Would love to know the answer to this. I am debating between Savoy and Chatrium (huge price difference) There are three of us (includes our 16 year old daughter). We are only there briefly, want to see Shwedagon Pagoda and make sure our food is all quality as far as sanitary conditions are concerned.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by odie11
Would love to know the answer to this. I am debating between Savoy and Chatrium (huge price difference) There are three of us (includes our 16 year old daughter). We are only there briefly, want to see Shwedagon Pagoda and make sure our food is all quality as far as sanitary conditions are concerned.
Really hard to say without knowing your budget and requirements.
Chatrium is very near to Shwedagon Pagoda
Sanitary conditions are fine there too
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by seavisionburma
Really hard to say without knowing your budget and requirements.
Chatrium is very near to Shwedagon Pagoda
Sanitary conditions are fine there too
My budget is-I always appreciate saving money instead of needlessly spending it BUT if a splurge is worth it then I am good with that. Requirements are clean and safe and food options there or near by. Our only plan for the time in Yangon is to visit Shwedagon-we will be arriving after a 16 hr flight to HKG, following a five hour layover there, with a flight continuing on to RGN after a four hour layover in DMK (yuck!)
Our time there is limited-arrival at 5:00 PM on Dec 20 and departure Dec 22 at 6:30 AM
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
My budget is-I always appreciate saving money instead of needlessly spending it BUT if a splurge is worth it then I am good with that. Requirements are clean and safe and food options there or near by. Our only plan for the time in Yangon is to visit Shwedagon-we will be arriving after a 16 hr flight to HKG, following a five hour layover there, with a flight continuing on to RGN after a four hour layover in DMK (yuck!)
Our time there is limited-arrival at 5:00 PM on Dec 20 and departure Dec 22 at 6:30 AM
Based on my own research/map gazing...

Leaving aside the hotel's onsite dining options, there seem to be quite a few dining options in the immediate vicinity of the Chatrium (ie walking distance) covering Chinese, Japanese, Burmese, Indian, Thai, Pakistani, Western/Cafe, etc. The Chatrium's location on the lake appears to be Yangon's embassy district, and judging by the google photos of the area, looks very walkable (tree-lined boulevards). If the local options aren't to your taste, most cab rides in town seem to be US$1.50 - 4.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:51 pm

Grab taxi is the dominant ride app to use in Yangon and it's also a good way to find a driver
I'm assuming grab is (reasonably) safe in Yangon? I prefer ride sharing apps as there is no argument about rates.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I'm assuming grab is (reasonably) safe in Yangon? I prefer ride sharing apps as there is no argument about rates.
Very safe. No issues with Grab in Yangon at all.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:12 pm

Very safe. No issues with Grab in Yangon at all.
Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Has anybody done an international transfer in RGN? The map of the airport available on ANA's web page does show an international transfer counter. Has anybody used it?
Does RGN allow self-printed boarding pass use?
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Has anybody done an international transfer in RGN? The map of the airport available on ANA's web page does show an international transfer counter. Has anybody used it?
Have sent you a PM, but practically speaking RGN is not set up for International transfers very well. I will look in to your situation locally from the details you gave me in PM and see if I can get a definitive answer soon.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:32 pm

Not too sure what your specific question is but we did a flight transfer from Loikaw to Yangon and on to Siem Reap. We had to transfer to the international terminal from the domestic terminal-there is a shuttle that takes you from one to the other.We had printed our boarding passes but when we checked in, they issued new boarding passes and put stickers on our shirts-at least the domestic Myanmar flights did. Don't know if any of this helps.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Not too sure what your specific question is but we did a flight transfer from Loikaw to Yangon and on to Siem Reap. We had to transfer to the international terminal from the domestic terminal-there is a shuttle that takes you from one to the other.We had printed our boarding passes but when we checked in, they issued new boarding passes and put stickers on our shirts-at least the domestic Myanmar flights did. Don't know if any of this helps.
My question is for incoming on international and leaving on international. I have a eVisa letter, so if need be, I'll go through immigration and get back in. I also have a boarding pass for the flight out of Yangon.
However some airlines/airports do not allow you to use a self printed boarding pass but only boarding passes issued by airport agents. See for example the case of UL at CGK.
I'm trying to figure out what the situation is going to be like.
seavisionburma and Tokyoite like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:45 am

My question is for incoming on international and leaving on international. I have a eVisa letter, so if need be, I'll go through immigration and get back in. I also have a boarding pass for the flight out of Yangon.
However some airlines/airports do not allow you to use a self printed boarding pass but only boarding passes issued by airport agents. See for example the case of UL at CGK.
I'm trying to figure out what the situation is going to be like.
Got it. We did not do any international to international connections, so can't help out-sorry!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:44 pm

Answers to my questions

I can now answer my own questions as I await in the departure lounge.

There is a transit sign, directing you to glass doors that are locked. Behind them is a scanner and metal detector and they are manned. But the personnel working there didn't have the key. I went down the stairs and asked for help to transit. One lady told me to wait for the person from SQ to help me. He used his radio to call for someone with the keys and walked me back to the glass doors. It took a bit of time but I did get through. No need to go through immigration.
Warning: I don't think an airline will let you boards to RGN without a Visa or e visa letter.
Very friendly staff overall. If you do this on separate tickets, the usual caveats apply.
seavisionburma and Tokyoite like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
I can now answer my own questions as I await in the departure lounge.
There is a transit sign, directing you to glass doors that are locked. Behind them is a scanner and metal detector and they are manned. But the personnel working there didn't have the key. I went down the stairs and asked for help to transit. One lady told me to wait for the person from SQ to help me. He used his radio to call for someone with the keys and walked me back to the glass doors. It took a bit of time but I did get through. No need to go through immigration.
Warning: I don't think an airline will let you boards to RGN without a Visa or e visa letter.
Very friendly staff overall. If you do this on separate tickets, the usual caveats apply.
Great! Was just about to ask this very same question.
JAL RGN-USA fare?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:55 pm

Tokyoite, I wrote you a PM as you found this. I'm on a mobile in China right now (flying to Tokyo in 3h) and did not have the patience to find my own post.
​​​​​ Glad you found it.
Beware, as I say in my PM, that the SQ lady entered the eVisa number and I have no idea if that invalidates it for future use. I will get another one when I fly back but will first hand the first one to see if it gets accepted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.