Search

Vietnam - 5 Full Days

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 11:49 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Vietnam - 5 Full Days

Hi - Flying into SGN in July and spending 5 full days in Vietnam (I know, not enough time). Can anyone recommend a beach town/area that we should stay in for 2 - 3 days. We're going to split time between SGN and another city for relaxation.

I know there's tons of sites that have reco's, but would rather take the advice of my fellow Flyer Talk'ers.

Thanks!
Old May 5, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
Da Nang (DAD) has many beach resorts ranging from expensive to dirt cheap.
IC, Hyatt Regency and Pullman are some good ones. For real quiet beach time , the IC is your best bet. Over 20 daily flights from SGN.
Train is 17 hours o/w.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: (¯`'•.¸Hyatt Globalist * AA Gold * Delta Silver * Marriott Platinum * Hilton Gold¸.•'´¯)
Recommend Nha Trang, has some incredible waters for snorkeling or scuba diving. Also, some of the best seafood.

If you feel like splurging, then stay at Vinpearl (it's on its own island!).

Last recommendation: always negotiate/haggle prices.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by havepointswilltravel
Da Nang (DAD) has many beach resorts ranging from expensive to dirt cheap.
IC, Hyatt Regency and Pullman are some good ones. For real quiet beach time , the IC is your best bet. Over 20 daily flights from SGN.
Train is 17 hours o/w.
Another thumbs up for Da Nang. Great beaches, nice relaxed vibe, good variety of options for sightseeing and dining/drinking. Fast free wifi pretty much everywhere.
Old May 6, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Personally I didn't care much for Nha Trang. When I was there it was full of noisy brits getting boozed up on lager and eating chips (fries). To avoid this you can go away from the main drag (Van Don?) down towards the Diamond Bay area. The university area to the north of the city is peaceful too, though you don't have the classic beaches there.

Hoi An was much nicer but this isn't really a beach resort area like Nha Trang, so that might not work for you.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:00 am
Suspended

Phan Thiet is good choice and not far from HCMC, you can take train or car. For other places as Nha Trang or Phu Quoc it is better to have much time there to worth for flights
Old May 6, 2017, 6:45 pm

There are 2 beaches near HCMC such as Vung Tau beach and Mui Ne beach but Mui Ne is better.

Cheers,
DinHo
Old May 6, 2017, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I don't mind paying for another flight to get to a great destination. Has anyone been to all of the recommendations? Out of Da Nang, Nha Trang, Hoi An or Phu Quoc, which is the best in your opinion?
Old May 7, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: (¯`'•.¸Hyatt Globalist * AA Gold * Delta Silver * Marriott Platinum * Hilton Gold¸.•'´¯)
That's a relative question, which will result in a relative answer... it depends on what your preferences are (beautiful beaches/waters, great seafood/cuisine, other entertainment/nightlife, etc).

For me I like a balance of all the above, and then some. That's why I recommended Nha Trang. Indeed, it is popular with tourists (lots of Europeans & Russians) but I personally didn't have any issue with that the 2 times I was there (most recently Dec 2015).
Nha Trang even has several mud bath spas, I recommend the Thap Ba Spa... it was simply an awesome experience. Splurge a little and get a VIP package that comes with a private hut, private mud bath, private hot spring and massage.

So from my perspective, the order of recommendation would be: Nha Trang, Da Nang, Phu Quoc, Hoi An.

BTW, it seems that Phu Quoc has an incredible hotel award redemption sweet spot: JW Marriott Phu Quoc. Check out this FrequentMiler review: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...iott-phu-quoc/
I doubt it'll stay a Cat 5 for long.

Enjoy your VN trip!
Old May 7, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your feedback. We're definitely into nice resorts/waters. We'll look more into Nha Trang.

We were considering Phu Quoc because of the JW. We're big fans of the JW. We got married at one and have stayed in JW's around the US and Asia.

Such a tough decision!

Originally Posted by dragonmp11a10
That's a relative question, which will result in a relative answer... it depends on what your preferences are (beautiful beaches/waters, great seafood/cuisine, other entertainment/nightlife, etc).

For me I like a balance of all the above, and then some. That's why I recommended Nha Trang. Indeed, it is popular with tourists (lots of Europeans & Russians) but I personally didn't have any issue with that the 2 times I was there (most recently Dec 2015).
Nha Trang even has several mud bath spas, I recommend the Thap Ba Spa... it was simply an awesome experience. Splurge a little and get a VIP package that comes with a private hut, private mud bath, private hot spring and massage.

So from my perspective, the order of recommendation would be: Nha Trang, Da Nang, Phu Quoc, Hoi An.

BTW, it seems that Phu Quoc has an incredible hotel award redemption sweet spot: JW Marriott Phu Quoc. Check out this FrequentMiler review: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...iott-phu-quoc/
I doubt it'll stay a Cat 5 for long.

Enjoy your VN trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.