Wiki Posts
Search

Self-driving/car rental in Bali

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Self-driving/car rental in Bali

If you have an experience renting a car in Bali (preferably at DPS or nearby) and driving around - would share the experience?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
not worth it. Police often pull over foreigners to give them a dodgy on the spot fine. Also there are many instances of bingles that aren't your fault but end up with police involvement and a huge fine or repair amount even if it isn't your fault.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by invisible
If you have an experience renting a car in Bali (preferably at DPS or nearby) and driving around - would share the experience?
What @Annalisa12 said. Not worth it. Any accident will be your fault, and the budget for bribes to the cops who pull you up for no reason can buy plenty of beer and taxis.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Not to mention that it's very challenging to drive on Indonesian roads for people who are not used to them.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did it. But yeah, not recommended. Too risky, and the traffic is insane for those who aren't used to it.

Oh, and yes, I was flagged down by a cop who told me to park the car and follow him over to his roadside kiosk. Once inside, he informed me that I had to pay a ridiculous fine to him on the spot.

Fortunately, I had read about these scams beforehand, and was prepared. Before I got out of the vehicle, I left my wallet with my wife, and just kept some loose change in my pocket. After about 20 minutes of explaining to the cop (who was very nice, BTW) that I didn't have the money on me, he let me go after I handed over my change (about US$0.75).
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by Skyman65
Oh, and yes, I was flagged down by a cop who told me to park the car and follow him over to his roadside kiosk. Once inside, he informed me that I had to pay a ridiculous fine to him on the spot
Ah yes that's so annoying in Bali! Luckily they don't seem to pick out foreigners in other parts of Indonesia (at least in Java).

If you are driving a motorcycle and a cop wants to stop you, just keep driving! Seriously, they are never going to chase you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.