Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bali Hotel Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Bali Hotel Questions

We're considering going to Bali in mid November for 7 - 8 days. When I checked www.awardmapper.com for hotels, I noticed that almost all point redemption hotel chains are located in the south of Bali. Does that suggest to you that a first timer spend a week in that area? Is west coast (Indian Ocean) better than east coast (Lombok Strait) in this area. Should we spend all our time here, or split the trip and head to Ubud?

I've been reading here that better value may be had at non chain hotel and resorts and villas.

What's your opinion.

Thanks.

Last edited by dhammer53; Apr 12, 2017 at 8:12 am
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I just returned from my first trip to Bali, where I stayed in Kuta, which was great, but... I did a day trip to Ubud and really wish I had stayed up there at least one night. Flying out, the German woman sitting next to me on the plane raved about staying at non-chain, staying on the north shore for a week and staying in Ubud for a few days. She convinced me that I'll do that on my next trip.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:02 pm

Will be going to Bali for the first time in October. Opted to stay at a non chain, Kayon Resort in Ubud, and finishing the trip at the Ritz Nusa Dua. The value you get from the non chain hotels are unbeatable. I'm talking 1000 - 2000 sqft 5 star private villas with a private pool starting at $300 a night.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Decide what you want to do and where you want to go. THEN figure out the hotels.
DO NOT let location of hotel chains dictate your itinerary in Bali.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There are fantastic small non-chain hotels in Bali, along with private villas ... very different experience from the chain hotels. Which is better is personal preference and priorities, but Bali gives great choices. Also it varies from high density very developed with restaurants and clubs that are open all night, to fishing villages which barely have electricity. Completely different experiences. Ubud is pretty special and must see in my book, at least for a few days. Researching the different choices is pretty easy with google and tons of info on the web. My first trip to Bali was at the (then) Sheraton Laguna, which is as anti-Bali as you can get ... beautiful resort that is more Hawaii than Bali Lately I either stay in a private villa in Seminyak, Ubud or Amed (east coast, 3 hours drive from airport but much less developed). Very different experience in just those 3 locations (and different price point, Seminyak costs 3x as much for same quality at high end, maybe cheaper at low end due to supply/demand but varies by date).
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:06 am

I'm at the Grand Hyatt in Nusa Dua now. I think this hotel is okay, though its lacking character (among a few other service-related issues). I kind of feel like I could be at any beach resort, almost anywhere. But the pools are really nice and I'm enjoying my time.

I did a day tour of Ubud yesterday. Super different than Nusa Dua, which is kind of a ritzy (in some places), touristy area with lots of chain hotels. The Grand Hyatt is in an enclave that requires multiple security checks to get in and out of. It definitely feels sort of roped off from the rest of the island. If I had more time, I definitely would have stayed in Ubud for a few days. I don't love non-chain, boutiquey style hotels, but I would have loved to spend some time at the Viceroy in Ubud. The pool looks insane.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by RhubarbPie
It definitely feels sort of roped off from the rest of the island.
Nusa Dua is as non-Balinese and non-Indonesian as one can get on the island. It is almost LITERALLY barricaded off from the rest of the island.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by farmerandy
Will be going to Bali for the first time in October. Opted to stay at a non chain, Kayon Resort in Ubud, and finishing the trip at the Ritz Nusa Dua. The value you get from the non chain hotels are unbeatable. I'm talking 1000 - 2000 sqft 5 star private villas with a private pool starting at $300 a night.
I've booked Le Jardin Villas in Seminyak for $150 a night. Includes breakfast, Afternoon tea and a car to drive you around the area
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I've booked Le Jardin Villas in Seminyak for $150 a night. Includes breakfast, Afternoon tea and a car to drive you around the area
May have to look into this and stay a night in Seminyak. All of that and even a car to top it off? Amazing.

Last edited by farmerandy; Apr 18, 2017 at 5:21 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RhubarbPie
I'm at the Grand Hyatt in Nusa Dua now. <snip> I kind of feel like I could be at any beach resort, almost anywhere.
That's pretty much what everyone says about Nusa Dua. So we didn't bother going there, even though supposedly it's the only nice beach that's relatively accessible.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Depending on your age and interests, different parts of Bali will appeal to different folks.

Some resorts in Nusa Dua are ok. Many are so generic, you could be in HNL, or CUN.

To me, the Kuta, Seminyak and nearby areas are more party areas. I've always liked the feel of Sanur, and Ubud can be very nice. I've stayed in a great 6000SF villa in Ubud that was really nice, and a small home stay in Sanur over a decade ago that were all totally memorable.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
We had 3 nights at the Conrad in Nusa Dua and 3 nights in Ubud at the Royal Kamuela Villas. Totally different worlds, totally different experience - but both of them amazing.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Hi Dan. BRT 2014 alumnus here.

I didn't stay in the chain hotel area so I don't have first hand comparison, but I share this sentiment:

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I just returned from my first trip to Bali, where I stayed in Kuta, which was great, but... I did a day trip to Ubud and really wish I had stayed up there at least one night. Flying out, the German woman sitting next to me on the plane raved about staying at non-chain, staying on the north shore for a week and staying in Ubud for a few days. She convinced me that I'll do that on my next trip.
I absolutely LOVED my traditional bungalow in Ubud. Cost me $30 a night in 2015. It had beautiful grounds. Sitting on the porch at night breathing the hot air and hearing relaxing Balinese music felt like the idyllic SE Asia experience. More authentic, and definitely more rustic, than the chains, I'd imagine. It was perfect for me.

My top 3 Bali experiences:
1. Pura Ulun Danu Berata
2. Seafood dinner on Jimbaran beach
3. the aforementioned bungalow

Enjoy!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: various
Bali is a good place to go local non-chain since there are very high value propositions for the cash outlay, in better locations than South Bali/Nusa Dua. Then save those loyalty program points for a different destination.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:56 am
Community Director Emerita

Many years ago, @Dianne47 recommended Alam Jiwa to me. It's outside Ubud. It's an intimate property, just 10 rooms or so, with large rooms overlooking rice paddies. It's a true Balinese experience. I'd stay there and hire a driver so I could go anywhere I wanted on the island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.