Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bali Hotel Questions

Bali Hotel Questions

Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Alam Jiwa is a magical small property, off the beaten path but very convenient to nearby Ubud. I've been to Bali 5 times over the past 18 years, Alam Jiwa is my heaven on earth. The staff there is simply amazing, the rooms are beautiful, and the breakfasts are to die for. Book early, the hotel is always full.

Another good option is a homestay with a Balinese family. I can recommend one of Cozy Wayan Sueta's Villas, available on airbnb. I've known Wayan and his wife, Ayu, since 1999. Staying in their family compound is a really special experience, close to the amazing culture and rural beauty of the island.

My last trip to Bali I split my 10 days between Alam Jiwa and a villa at Cozy Wayan Sueta's.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Many years ago, @Dianne47 recommended Alam Jiwa to me. It's outside Ubud. It's an intimate property, just 10 rooms or so, with large rooms overlooking rice paddies. It's a true Balinese experience. I'd stay there and hire a driver so I could go anywhere I wanted on the island.
No THAT looks like a good place to get some of the true Balinese culture while still staying upmarket.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Many years ago, @Dianne47 recommended Alam Jiwa to me. It's outside Ubud. It's an intimate property, just 10 rooms or so, with large rooms overlooking rice paddies. It's a true Balinese experience. I'd stay there and hire a driver so I could go anywhere I wanted on the island.
I absolutely love this. I want to know I'm in another country and the rooms have that wonderful Balinese feel.

I'll keep this one in the memory bank. Thanks for the info
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by italdesign
Hi Dan. BRT 2014 alumnus here.

I didn't stay in the chain hotel area so I don't have first hand comparison, but I share this sentiment:

I absolutely LOVED my traditional bungalow in Ubud. Cost me $30 a night in 2015. It had beautiful grounds. Sitting on the porch at night breathing the hot air and hearing relaxing Balinese music felt like the idyllic SE Asia experience. More authentic, and definitely more rustic, than the chains, I'd imagine. It was perfect for me.

My top 3 Bali experiences:
1. Pura Ulun Danu Berata
2. Seafood dinner on Jimbaran beach
3. the aforementioned bungalow
I appreciate this, and all the advice offered. Bali has always been on my bucket list, especially after reading so many trip reports over the years. Sadly, my wife does not share my bucket list. I'm still trying to convince her that USD$100 per night for the suggestions offered should be an inducement. After clicking on the link, that's a lot of hotel room for the price.

I'm currently researching Vietnam for an 8 day stay. It's doable, but it's so much easier to fly SIN/DPS/SIN, then SIN/HAN x/SIN.

I'll still be reading suggestions here. I have time to convince her.

Dan
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:36 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I'm still trying to convince her that USD$100 per night for the suggestions offered should be an inducement. After clicking on the link, that's a lot of hotel room for the price.
Does your wife like massage? If so, between @Dianne47, @l'etoile, and me, we can provide names of a number of spas in the Ubud area where it's only $10-ish for a 1 hour massage. There's great shopping in the Ubud area for local crafts and art. There's a wide range of excellent restaurants. There's dance performances in beautiful palace settings. And there's spectacular scenery to see on day trips.

I also like Vietnam, so consider both trips in the near future.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I appreciate this, and all the advice offered. Bali has always been on my bucket list, especially after reading so many trip reports over the years. Sadly, my wife does not share my bucket list. I'm still trying to convince her that USD$100 per night for the suggestions offered should be an inducement. After clicking on the link, that's a lot of hotel room for the price.

I'm currently researching Vietnam for an 8 day stay. It's doable, but it's so much easier to fly SIN/DPS/SIN, then SIN/HAN x/SIN.

Dan
I chose Bali as a cost saving holiday whilst i save for a mega bucks trip next year. We are still flying business class and staying somewhere nice but it's only 50% of the cost of our regular holidays. Maybe tell her you can put the savings to somewhere super high and expensive on her bucket list.
Old May 3, 2017, 5:52 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
These properties are special, a sister property is Alam Shanti where Mrs Willie & I stayed http://www.alamindahbali.com/alam_shanti.htm

highly recommended. BTW good spa within walking distance.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:19 am

Does your wife like massage? If so, between @Dianne47, @l'etoile, and me, we can provide names of a number of spas in the Ubud area where it's only $10-ish for a 1 hour massage. There's great shopping in the Ubud area for local crafts and art. There's a wide range of excellent restaurants. There's dance performances in beautiful palace settings. And there's spectacular scenery to see on day trips.

I also like Vietnam, so consider both trips in the near future.
@SanDiego1K My wife and I are headed to Bali in 2 weeks for our honeymoon and will be spending 4 days in Ubud. I'd love to hear your suggestions for restaurants and spas (she's planning on getting MANY massages on this trip). Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

Janice's brother just got back from Vietnam. Looks like the primadonna convinced her not to go to Vietnam.
If anyone has northern Vietnam questions, I'm your guy.

And now, back to the drawing board. I was just re-reading this amazing thread and all it's hotel advice.

A question. Should we spend a week in the Ubud area, or spend time elsewhere ie up north? We're interested in non-beach activities when we're there in November.

Thanks.
Dan
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Camoore86
@SanDiego1K My wife and I are headed to Bali in 2 weeks for our honeymoon and will be spending 4 days in Ubud. I'd love to hear your suggestions for restaurants and spas (she's planning on getting MANY massages on this trip). Thanks!
Cheap spas are everywhere and easy to find in Bali. We'd often do it twice a day. Just wander around.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I'm going to hop on here and ask about splitting our time. I'm glad so many of you like the Alam Jiwa/Shanti properties b/c I actually booked them for 5 nights of our 7 in Bali before ever seeing this thread. And even 11 months out it was hard to get that!

So I'm trying to decide if we go to Sanur for a change of scenery (if so, any suggestions on a 2-bedroom villa in the $300 range?) or stay near Ubud for the last 2 nights. Will two teens and 9 year old have enough to do in Ubud with day trips, etc, or will we be ready to move on? Generally we like to move hotels after 4-5 nights. Near Ubud, I see Sankara, Surya, Sri Ratih, Luwak villas. For our dates, many are charging "high season" prices (July 2018). I am not remotely interested in Seminyak, Kuta, Nusa Dua, but don't want to go further north from Ubud or further from airport. Our flight out isn't till 4 PM last day, but I don't want to spend it all in a car.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'm going to hop on here and ask about splitting our time. I'm glad so many of you like the Alam Jiwa/Shanti properties b/c I actually booked them for 5 nights of our 7 in Bali before ever seeing this thread. And even 11 months out it was hard to get that!

So I'm trying to decide if we go to Sanur for a change of scenery (if so, any suggestions on a 2-bedroom villa in the $300 range?) or stay near Ubud for the last 2 nights. Will two teens and 9 year old have enough to do in Ubud with day trips, etc, or will we be ready to move on? Generally we like to move hotels after 4-5 nights. Near Ubud, I see Sankara, Surya, Sri Ratih, Luwak villas. For our dates, many are charging "high season" prices (July 2018). I am not remotely interested in Seminyak, Kuta, Nusa Dua, but don't want to go further north from Ubud or further from airport. Our flight out isn't till 4 PM last day, but I don't want to spend it all in a car.
I am not sure you have added below destinations in your Ubud trip. If not, you should select Ubud.
  • Taro Elephant Park
  • Bali Zoo
  • White Water Rafting
  • Treetops Adventure Park

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.